Author Topic: NY with steel plate  (Read 3757 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: NY with steel plate
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about your back, Barry.  If it's any consolation, the pizza looks great.

ANy way you could simply leave the steel in?  I leave my stone in the oven no matter what, I've never had a problem by doing so.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about your back, Barry.  If it's any consolation, the pizza looks great.

ANy way you could simply leave the steel in?  I leave my stone in the oven no matter what, I've never had a problem by doing so.

Thanks for the feedback on the pizza. It was certainly my best effort on the steel. I thought about leaving it in the oven permanently, but it won't work with the setup I need for baking pizza and the setup I need for baking bread. I was leaving the cordierite stone in all the time on a low shelf, but it is a heck of a lot lighter to move around.

I'm looking at high alumina cordierite now, since I couldn't find 3/4 inch silicon carbide. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:29:56 AM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 06:24:11 AM »
Barry,

I am also sorry to hear about your bad back.  :( I had a bad back years ago and had to have an operation. 
Back problems sure arenít fun.

Your pizza baked on the steel plates sure does look delicious!  :chef:

What kind of flour were you using that you had spots on your dough ball after three days?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »
What kind of flour were you using that you had spots on your dough ball after three days?

Norma: Thanks... I've had disc problems (and surgeries) in my lower back and neck.

I use a 50/50 combination of Type 85 and bread flour. The Type 85 has some bran in it, and that's what the spots are from.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline communist

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
Barry, I regret hearing about your back.  I love my 17 x 17 x 1/2 steel for a 4 minutes NY pie, but it is a beast to lift in and out of an oven.   Mark

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
Now for the bad news. Both last week and this week, I wrecked my back putting the 40+ lb steel plate into the oven (nobody around to help, and on a tight schedule).
Ouch!!  That puts a damper on this fascinating thread.  I hurt my back a few years ago but thankfully have avoided surgery so far.

Is your oven door removable?  With my oven I can open the door slightly to the first "stop," then lift and the door lifts right off.  With the door out of the way it would be easier to get a steel plate in and out of the oven, lifting with one's legs instead of with one's back. 

Getting old... sucks!
I'll wholeheartedly second that motion!!  I just got my first pair of bifocals yesterday.  I'm so excited.   :(  Well, actually I went with progressive lenses.
Kevin

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
If you are a little handy with power tools (Tool Time!), then I think I can suggest something that will make your life easier, and allow you to continue your pizza obsession.

Picture a rolling butcher-block table.  Now imagine adding some sturdy supports to the frame extending outwards.  The table should be wider than than the oven door so that the door can fit underneath of it.  The supports go right to the edge of the steel plate.  You drill a hole in the front edge of the plate.  Underneath the table you mount a small hand cranked winch, with a steel cable that has a hook on the end.

Push the plate puller up to the oven, hook up the cable and winch the plate onto the supports.  You have storage for the plate.  
To replace the plate, position the table, lock the wheels and use a 2x4 piece to push the plate back onto the oven rack.

If it's hard to move the plate on the supports, you can use teflon glide strips mounted on the wood.

Hope this helps!
Brian
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:24:02 AM by pizzaneer »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
I really appreciate the support that I get from the members of this forum.

Mark: I knew that this might not work out from the start because of my back issues. That was why Scott suggested 3/4" silicon carbide, which I can't find in a size that would fit into my oven.

Is your oven door removable?  With my oven I can open the door slightly to the first "stop," then lift and the door lifts right off.  With the door out of the way it would be easier to get a steel plate in and out of the oven, lifting with one's legs instead of with one's back.  

I just checked, and it looks like my oven door is not removable (my last one was, and it removed itself right onto my foot... actually the hinge broke).

If you are a little handy with power tools (Tool Time!), then I think I can suggest something that will make your life easier, and allow you to continue your pizza obsession.

Picture a rolling butcher-block table.  Now imagine adding some sturdy supports to the frame extending outwards.  The table should be wider than than the oven door so that the door can fit underneath of it.  The supports go right to the edge of the steel plate.  You drill a hole in the front edge of the plate.  Underneath the table you mount a small hand cranked winch, with a steel cable that has a hook on the end.

Push the plate puller up to the oven, hook up the cable and winch the plate onto the supports.  You have storage for the plate.  
To replace the plate, position the table, lock the wheels and use a 2x4 piece to push the plate back onto the oven rack.

I love it, Brian. Tim The Toolman Taylor lives (actually, he'd probably lay tracks in the floor and motorize this baby)! The first guy on the block to have a straddle lift in his kitchen. :-D I just checked the clearance between the oven with the door open and the kitchen island, and there is only about 18". I'll have another look to see if I can figure out how to make this work.

My pizza obsession will live on, even if it has to move back to a stone in the oven (that's the way I started, and I was getting pretty good results at 5:00-5:30 bakes (even though the steel definitely gives better, more tender crusts). I'm also looking at possible ways to retrofit my Weber Genesis grill with an IR rotisserie burner without blowing up the neighborhood.

Barry

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
I just checked the clearance between the oven with the door open and the kitchen island, and there is only about 18".

That's all the room you need, my friend.  Because the oven door will open out underneath the lift table. 
1. Push the table into place in front of the closed oven, but up against the island. 
2. Open the oven door all the way.
3. Pull out the cable and hook it up to the plate.
4. Roll the table up to the oven. 
5. Engage the winch and crank that plate outta there! 

If you want to get super-nifty, make the top of the table your pizza serving cart... just roll it into the dining room with cutter pan, stacked plates and a bottle of wine in a cooler bucket!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
That's all the room you need, my friend.  Because the oven door will open out underneath the lift table.  
1. Push the table into place in front of the closed oven, but up against the island.  
2. Open the oven door all the way.
3. Pull out the cable and hook it up to the plate.
4. Roll the table up to the oven.  
5. Engage the winch and crank that plate outta there!  

If you want to get super-nifty, make the top of the table your pizza serving cart... just roll it into the dining room with cutter pan, stacked plates and a bottle of wine in a cooler bucket!

Thanks, Brian. Getting it out of the oven is usually less of an issue, because I can wait for help. It's the getting in part that both seems to hurt (a lot) more, and is more dependent on timing (I need to have someone around around at a specific time... which hasn't happened the past 2 bakes). I have found that trying to slide the plate onto the oven shelf when it is either most of the way or all the way into the oven is difficult (40+ lb of steel plate just doesn't slide very easily on a steel grate, and if the oven rack is part of the way out, that doesn't slide back in very easily either).

Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

Barry

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
Sure, here's one off the top of my head.

What's making putting it in hard to do is the friction of the leading bottom of edge of the steel hitting the oven rack.  You can amend that friction a couple ways, but the easiest thing to do is smooth the steel and oil the rack.  Still not going to do much for your back, I'm afraid, but it will make the process a lot faster.    

If you have a metal-finishing file, take down the 90 angle to more of a rounded edge.
Take a paper towel, put some oil on it and wet at least the front of the rack.

To save your back some pain, make a 2x4 box end (use 4 pcs of 2x4) a little higher than the rack.  This is just something to rest the steel on for a moment.  The box should sit on your oven door hinge area so that you can put the middle of the steel on it, then tip it forward and have it slide right in.  Just a little helper.

Well, you know this still doesn't help you get the steel from wherever you keep it, and walk it to the oven.  If I were you, I would definitely go with the lift table.  It will make it easy to put the steel back in, and gives you a rolling place to keep it. 

Want some motors?  You know, you're not far off thinking about the motorized track, Mr. Taylor.  Originally I was thinking a mini forklift with electric winches.

regards
Brian "MacGyver"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:31:02 PM by pizzaneer »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
Sure, here's one off the top of my head.

What's making putting it in hard to do is the friction of the leading bottom of edge of the steel hitting the oven rack.  You can amend that friction a couple ways, but the easiest thing to do is smooth the steel and oil the rack.  Still not going to do much for your back, I'm afraid, but it will make the process a lot faster.    

If you have a metal-finishing file, take down the 90 angle to more of a rounded edge.
Take a paper towel, put some oil on it and wet at least the front of the rack.

To save your back some pain, make a 2x4 box end (use 4 pcs of 2x4) a little higher than the rack.  This is just something to rest the steel on for a moment.  The box should sit on your oven door hinge area so that you can put the middle of the steel on it, then tip it forward and have it slide right in.  Just a little helper.

Well, you know this still doesn't help you get the steel from wherever you keep it, and walk it to the oven.  If I were you, I would definitely go with the lift table.  It will make it easy to put the steel back in, and gives you a rolling place to keep it. 

Want some motors?  You know, you're not far off thinking about the motorized track, Mr. Taylor.  Originally I was thinking a mini forklift with electric winches.

regards
Brian "MacGyver"

LMAO, Mr. MacGyver. I can just see the look on my wife's face when I roll the mini forklift into the house.

Barry

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
I can just see the look on my wife's face when I roll the mini forklift into the house.

I saw the look on my wife's face...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13438.0.html

:-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
I saw the look on my wife's face...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13438.0.html

:-D

I can only imagine! Maybe we need to start a spousal support group for members of this forum.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
That... is evil, Barry.  The last thing I need is my wife finding out just how expensive this "hobby" can get.

pizzapan