Author Topic: Stanislaus Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro (peeled tomato strips)  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Stanislaus Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro (peeled tomato strips)
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
With yesterday's 10" deep dish pizza, almost everything was the same as the previous day's pizza. The only differences were: 1) I used two-day dough instead of one-day dough (same batch of dough; different day), and 2) All my remaining tomatoes were processed to the consistency I use for NY style sauce, rather than unprocessed and chunky.

Even though I kinda see yesterday's sauce as heresy for deep dish, it was so much better than the ones I made with unprocessed tomatoes. So my conclusion, at least for now, is that these tomato strips are best if processed to a pulpy consistency, regardless of what style of pizza you're making. When they are, they're really, really good.

I took a few pics of yesterday's pizza, and I'll try to post them relatively soon. But I guess this pretty much wraps up what I have to say about these tomatoes. I've emptied the can already and I have another one waiting. Any questions?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:58:50 PM by AimlessRyan »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:37 PM »
Here are a few pics from the pizza I made yesterday with the pulpy sauce (no big chunks of tomato). Probably a little heavy on the sauce, but it was really good, just like all the other ones. Actually it was better than all the other ones.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »
 wow , that pie looks great. now i have to read the particulars.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »
 read the whole post, i am going to give your recipe a try. have you tried the dough without any salt? is the corn oil important to the final flavor of the crust.one more question,does this dough get more flavorful with a real long room rise before flattening shaping and baking?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »
read the whole post, i am going to give your recipe a try. have you tried the dough without any salt? is the corn oil important to the final flavor of the crust.one more question,does this dough get more flavorful with a real long room rise before flattening shaping and baking?

It's interesting that you brought up salt because even though there's almost no salt in this dough, I feel like I should 86 the salt. Honestly, I don't know about the corn oil; I just use it because I've read on deep dish threads that corn oil is pretty much the key ingredient in deep dish dough. I only leave the dough at room temperature for an hour or two, and I've never tried anything else. A longer room-temperature rise sounds like something worth trying, though.

I've only ever made about ten deep dish pizzas, so it's hard for me to provide any relevant feedback, insight, or answers. To me, deep dish is the easiest, most forgiving style of pizza to make once you know the basics, even if you don't fully understand the basics. But if I didn't have all the good info from this site to guide me, I probably never would have learned the basics, and I might still think deep dish dough is supposed to have cornmeal in it.

I'll think about the stuff I couldn't answer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:49:00 AM by AimlessRyan »