Author Topic: cheese melting like wax  (Read 965 times)

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
cheese melting like wax
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »
I really searched this board, but I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for...
I started experimenting with making a Chicago Thin, and the first one was pretty good... except I over cooked it a little bit. So I was making my next one (for some guests of course) and I was sure I knew what to do to make it better, and unfortunately the cheese I used -please don't laugh... Walmart Great Value shredded part-skim moz melted like a wax helmet! I was really embarrassed. The pizza tasted ok, but looked horrible.
I am originally from Elgin, IL and my thin pizza of choice was from a little 'hood pizzeria called V&V paesano in Bartlett. Their pizza looked just like Mr. Pythonic's at the start of his "good golly" thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28938.0.html
That's the look I'm going for.
Was it just a bad cheese choice or did I cook it wrong? I'm looking to never make that mistake again.

Offline texmex

Re: cheese melting like wax
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »
Low fat cheese is your culprit.  It just does not melt in a pleasant manner.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1285.0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:57:02 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »
I've been avoiding it, but probably the best thing would be to buy a block of WMMoz and shred it myself?
Has anyone had any luck with a relatively easy-to-find pre-shreadded cheese?
I now live in the mountains of Western NC so most of what is available in Chicago is unobtainable here...

Offline HBolte

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »
I have used shredded Low moisture part-skim in a pinch with pretty good luck. It's not my first or even second choice but does work.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:55:15 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Online Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
Try putting the sauce on top of the cheese. Changes the whole thing

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »
Hey filteredsoul! Welcome to the Chicago Style forum.

When I used pre-shredded, some brands are better than others, but one thing I do with all of them is to toss them vigorously in a strainer, to get rid of all the potato starch or other powder adulterants used to keep the cheese from sticking.

But you'll do better buying a block and shredding it yourself, generally.  I do one or the other or even a mix of wm and part-skim for thin.  I've never had a problem with part-skim.  If you are going to shred it yourself, put it in the freezer for a little while beforehand, to help firm it up a little, which makes it shred much better.

Really, just keep experimenting until you find what works best for your local conditions.  It'll all work out fine.

Cheers,
Garvey
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:00:17 PM by Garvey »

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »
Stay away from Walmart cheese.  Try a 50 whole/50 part skim blend of sorrento mozzarella.  Want to really jazz it up then use some boars head mozzarella instead.  Good luck.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys! Y'all (yes, I can say that word now) are the rockstars of Chicago thin! I am truly honored.

Good thing to know about Boars Head. All the Ingle's grocery stores carry their products now and I DID notice that they have WM Moz.
I even asked if they could shred it for me but they could only do slices. That will probably be my go-to for my next deep dish! Maybe I'll just have them hack me off a chunk and shred it myself. What do you guys use for shredding? I think my knuckles are still afraid of the tall, stainless thing that scrapes all the skin off... I mean shreds cheese.

For now though, I kinda cheated. I called a local pizza/Italian restaurant that sells dough balls (for a dollar!) to a friend of mine...
I asked "hey, will you sell me some cheese?" The owner got on the phone and offered me a price of $10 for 3 large pizza's worth.
I haven't gone to get it yet, but I think Saturday night is going to be pizza night. I'll report on my findings...

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
I use a standard box grater for small amounts (yeah, the metal knuckle grater) and the grater disc attachment on the food processor for larger amounts.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »
I shred my own as well.  Definitely check around at your pizza shops for cheese as well.  $10 for 3 large pizzas worth of cheese isn't too bad.  Good luck and show us some pics of the finished results.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
Sorry, no pics, but we had some family in from the Chi and didn't get around to taking any... They just wanted to EAT!

So I go to the local joint and pick up my cheese. I asked the chef (son of the owner) and he confirmed that it was freshly shredded whole milk moz.
I got one large pizza's worth (only about 8oz) for $3.50 and gave it a shot. I would've liked a little more cheese, but the wmm was definitely the trick. I got the nice little pools of orange oil and I was very happy! Now perhaps a more flavorful pepperoni and I'll be even closer to what I'm going for. I was using Boars Head sandwich style pep which is larger, but I think I could find a more bold pep that would be even better. Any suggestions?

Offline HBolte

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
Hard to beat Boars Head stick pepperoni. Tastes great, cups nice too.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/taste-test-pepperoni-sticks.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:21:01 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:04:23 AM »
Cool!
I can probably find that one here too...

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »
I found the stick pepperoni (Boars Head) that was referenced, but in my store right next to the stick pep were packages of sliced Boars Head pepperoni. (not the larger sandwich style) One was "regular," and the other was turkey.

I was trying to see if the sliced package was the same as the stick, but it wasn't obvious, and the nutrition information was different.
Anyone try it? The package had a picture of a pizza on it...

By the way... these family members that I made the pizzas for stayed thru Thanksgiving and actually made us T-Giving dinner (a 10lb prime rib dry aged for 14 days, blah blah blah...) It was awesome, but in one week, they went through my whole box of kosher salt!!!! I couldn't believe it!

I think that's why they thought my pizzas needed a little more flavor!

Offline HBolte

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
The stick uses natural casing and is just a bit smaller. The stick cups nicely. For presliced I do use the Boars Head when I need it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:52:52 AM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:36 PM »
I really searched this board, but I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for...
I started experimenting with making a Chicago Thin, and the first one was pretty good... except I over cooked it a little bit. So I was making my next one (for some guests of course) and I was sure I knew what to do to make it better, and unfortunately the cheese I used -please don't laugh... Walmart Great Value shredded part-skim moz melted like a wax helmet! I was really embarrassed. The pizza tasted ok, but looked horrible.
I am originally from Elgin, IL and my thin pizza of choice was from a little 'hood pizzeria called V&V paesano in Bartlett. Their pizza looked just like Mr. Pythonic's at the start of his "good golly" thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28938.0.html
That's the look I'm going for.
Was it just a bad cheese choice or did I cook it wrong? I'm looking to never make that mistake again.

You got a bad batch...I've used their cheese many, many times.   NOW, they are carrying a new brand...has red and black label...that stuff does melt like wax. But the ole green label great value stuff is fine....better than most other stuff out there....I'm serious.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »
Thanks Chicago Bob... I've used the sliced Great Value Moz in my deep dish and it has been fine... but I've since tried sliced Boars Head in the DD and it was a little better. Stringier and a little saltier I think. AND it's the same price as the Great Value!?!

I did try the Boars Head packaged pepperoni (not the stick and not the sandwich style) and I think it was a little "bolder" than the sandwich style. I'll try the stick too, but I'll have to slice that by hand with a knife. Is that how you'd slice it or is there an awesome powered kitchen contraption that everyone uses?

As for the Boars Head WM Mozz, which I can only get in slices... I was going to try it (the slices) on my Chicago Thin... instead of shredded. I know that will disqualify my pizza as being authentic, but I wanted to try it. Anyone have a reason to talk me out of it?

Online Jackitup

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »
Take a stack of the slices, 10-12 oz or so, cut into rough chunks and pulse in a food processor til it's tore up to a rough chop and sprinkle on as you normally would.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »

Or......I've even just taken a few slices, sorta wad them up and rake across a plain ole box grater.  :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"