Author Topic: New Malnati Video  (Read 276 times)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
New Malnati Video
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
Maybe someone's been through this already, but the Cooking Channel show, Pizza Masters, went to Malnati's.  There wasn't a ton of new intel revealed here, but there were two new pieces of info (new to me, anyway): (1) they bulk ferment, and (2) the dough is long fermented.  How long, they do not say.  What would y'all guess?  At least 48 hrs, I'd think.  The show host, who owns some pizza joints in NY, says something to the effect of, "I know about pizza dough, and I knew they let that thing ferment for a long time...and takes on the identity of a sourdough bread."

Tune in at 3:37 to see.  These parts go by really quick.  You can see the bulk ferment and hear his comments in about 12 seconds, and then that's it.

Can watch here (as of this posting, anyway) by clicking on the button for "Video 2":
http://www.cokeandpopcorn.info/pizza-masters-season-1-episode-4/

Marc Malnati also shows from 3:57 to 4:52 how to assemble a "Lou" with spinach, et al., which looks awesome.  I made need to try this.

He also says 500 degrees for half an hour.  Of course, that's only marginally usefully because a home oven is so different.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:39:02 PM by Garvey »

Offline derricktung

Re: New Malnati Video
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »
The Lou is one of the favorite pies for a lot of folks... while I typically prefer a nice thick layer of sausage, that Lou pie is pretty phenomenal and could make me consider being a vegetarian.

In terms of the ferment, I don't think it would be much more than 24 hours.  It's a pretty stiff crust, with very little air worked into it (since a lot of it may be pushed out with the weight of the toppings going in).  They may go 48-72, but it seems like it wouldn't be too beneficial to long ferment dough when you're compacting so much weight on it.  (I say that with very limited experience in making Chicago deep dish). 

Offline Garvey

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:32 PM »
It may be a stiff crust, but the raw dough itself is pretty soft due to the very high oil content.  Really soft, like softer than biscuit dough.

I would suspect that a long ferment would be for flavor.  And longer fermented dough behaves more consistently with less volatility.  I'm not a fan of same day doughs--for Chicago thin, anyway--since they are brash and less digestible and full of off-flavors.  The high oil of deep dish dough tends to moderate these aspects, though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:04:09 PM by Garvey »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
An article on Eater reports a 48-hr ferment.  Seems like this info is straight from Marc Malnati.  I had forgotten about this, which Nate posted just a few months ago.

I also want to give props to Peter, who suspected a long, cold ferment back in 2012.

So I guess the new information is the bulk ferment and the pretty pictures in the video of the bulk dough.  And the assembly of the Lou, which was new to me.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
I've experimented with 48-72hr cold ferments.  The flavor is barely enhanced if any at all.  The corn oil overpowers any taste improvement from fermenting.  Lou's does have a very distinct beer taste however that I've been unable to duplicate.  Ginger perhaps?  Haha.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
Maybe it's the yeast they're using? 

I agree that long ferments on DD don't seem to do much, flavor-wise.  Thin is a different story.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
When I make DD with longer fermented dough (48 hours plus), the crust has better texture, and the pies are less filling/bloating.
Charles

Offline Garvey

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
I totally agree on the digestive aspects of long vs short ferments.