Author Topic: tavern-style pizzas in Chicago  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: tavern-style pizzas in Chicago
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »
Hmm. I've got some Mission torts, leftover sauce and mozz. Don't have a cast iron skillet. Gonna use the stone and parchment paper  to keep things tidy. I was wondering what to eat tonight, and this sounds pretty interesting Bob. It would be the perfect platform for a Mexican pizza. Will post pics tonight.

Seriously, I would use just any old frying pan before baking on a stone Nick....that's the whole purpose,no?  To crispy fry it.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 07:31:46 PM »
 I think he was worried about making a mess on the stone. He wiped up most of the oil in the pan. The pan I thought about using does not have an oven safe handle. I think you have a good point though. I would have left a little oil in the pan to fry up the bottom. I took some oil and smeared it around on the parchment paper. The oil on the paper started frying about as soon as it hit the 550 degree stone. I cooked it for 5 minutes. The last minute I had the broiler on.

It was better than expected. It was like a very crispy frozen Tony's/ Totino's thin crust. It tasted a lot better. Better ingredients were used. For a quick pizza fix, I will do it again. I may have to get an oven safe pan, I have a good excuse now. :D

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »
Would this style of crust/dough typically be docked?
Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »

Looks good man....nice an cheesy.  :D

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »
I did not dock because he didn't. It did not need docking, it was thin as paper. This is about as quick as it gets if you are craving a pie. I Like this, but for another 20 minutes of preparing  I could have a St Louis style. Yum!! Sorry this kinda of hijacked the thread, Lets get back to the real deal, Tavern pies.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
Would this style of crust/dough typically be docked?

Yes, I do believe so.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »
I did not dock because he didn't. It did not need docking, it was thin as paper. This is about as quick as it gets if you are craving a pie. I Like this, but for another 20 minutes of preparing  I could have a St Louis style. Yum!! Sorry this kinda of hijacked the thread, Lets get back to the real deal, Tavern pies.

You had no way of knowing(from having never used a Mission taco skin before)but your cheese would have laid more evenly while cooked if that taco skin had been docked.  ;)

pizzapan