Author Topic: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!  (Read 17252 times)

Offline OTRChef

Aurelios Pizza Perfected!
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
That sweet and delicious sauce. The bits of tomato in the sauce told me it was not made paste or puree. The sauce is made with crushed tomatoes. You can use whatever crushed tomatoes you have on hand, but using Muir Glen Fire-Roasted crushed tomatoes results in a tastier sauce. My 2nd choice would be Centos.

Aurelio's Pizza Sauce

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  28            ounces  crushed tomatoes
     1/8           cup  malted barley syrup
     1/8           cup  sugar
  1         tablespoon  olive oil
  1           teaspoon  oregano -- dry
  1           teaspoon  basil -- dry
     1/2      teaspoon  garlic powder
     1/2      teaspoon  onion powder
     1/2      teaspoon  black pepper

Place oil ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan and heat on low for about 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling. Set aside for at least 2 hours before using. Best if left overnight!
Note: Many have said Aurelios uses beer in their sauce, but I believe they are only tasting a hint of the malted barley. I don't taste it myself.

Making great pizza (crust) in a conventional oven is a daunting task. I prefer to use a pizza stone. You could also use a greased pizza pan, if you like.

Aurelios Thin Crust Pizza Dough

3/4           cup  warm water
  1         tablespoon  malted barley syrup
  1           teaspoon  yeast
     1/4           cup  extra virgin olive oil
  1           teaspoon  sea salt
  1              pound  King Arthur Unbleached AP Flour

In a heavy duty stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add 1st 3 ingredients and mix until yeast is dissolved. Add 1/4 cup of the flour then set aside in warm place for 15mins until sponge appears. Add oil, salt, and remaining flour and mix on low speed until a ball forms. Additional water may be needed, but add 1T at a time! Stop mixing when ball forms as this dough should not be kneaded. Place the ball of dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 24 hours. This step is absolutely necessary to develope the right texture and most importantly, the right flavor!

After the dough has ripen for 24 hours, remove from refrigerator and place in a warm place for at least 2 hours. Then preheat oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees F. When the oven reaches temp it is now time to roll the dough.

Divide the dough into 2 and roll the 1st piece as thin as possible. Dock the dough with a pizza docker or a fork. Dust your pizza peel with semolina or AP flour and place rolled dough unto peel. Without adding ANY toppings, slide dough unto pizza stone and cook for 4 minutes. While 1st piece is cooking, roll the 2nd, and then follow the same procedure.

Once the dough is precooked, roll the dough with a rolling pin to remove any bubbles, then you can add the sauce and toppings of your choice. Return to oven and cook until cheeses have browned and sauce is bubbling!

Precooking the crust results in a crispier crust that you would normally get only in commercial pizza ovens. It also prevents the sauce from soaking into the top of the crust.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »
can't wait to try you sauce! but I gotta admit, I've never seen bits of tomato in the sauce.  when I worked there the sauce was so fine they had a squeeze ketchup bottle filled with sauce for the extra sauce pizzas, they would squirt some on top of the cheese.  I think you can see that in BTB's picture on page 10 in discussion
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4084.180.html

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »
can't wait to try you sauce! but I gotta admit, I've never seen bits of tomato in the sauce.  when I worked there the sauce was so fine they had a squeeze ketchup bottle filled with sauce for the extra sauce pizzas, they would squirt some on top of the cheese.  I think you can see that in BTB's picture on page 10 in discussion
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4084.180.html

Visited the Homewood Aurelios 3 times in one week while in Chicago last month, there were definitely bits of tomato in the sauce. Not diced, just bits. If you watch the video in the thread you referenced above, they do not squirt sauce on top of the pie. Also note the bins of cheese. A lot of people have said the cheese is orange like cheddar. No orange cheese in any of their cheese bins! The orange color, after cooking, comes from the paprika in both their sausage and pepperoni.
Try my crust recipe too. When cooked in a pan, as Aurelios does it,  you'll think it is their crust. Also notice in the video, they dock the dough too!
Happy eating! :pizza:

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
Thanks! Yes i have watched the video many times!  They only used the squirt bottle filled with sauce and squirted sauce on the cheese when some one ordered a pizza with extra sauce.  This i know from working at aurelios, as well as ordering pizzas with extra sauce for over 15 yrs when i lived in illinois. Interesting hypothesis on the cheese color after cooking. I never saw anything but white cheese used. So this would suggest if some one orderd a cheese only it would not turn orange?  Im sure some one out there must have a cheese only picture. Must investigate!! Thanks for the recipes!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
OTR,
Would you please tell us more about your recipe....is this something that you have come up with, have you ever made it without cooking the sauce?
Parts of your post sorta sound like quoted text and I'm curios...do you have some insider info here? Thanks!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
Thanks! Yes i have watched the video many times!  They only used the squirt bottle filled with sauce and squirted sauce on the cheese when some one ordered a pizza with extra sauce.  This i know from working at aurelios, as well as ordering pizzas with extra sauce for over 15 yrs when i lived in illinois. Interesting hypothesis on the cheese color after cooking. I never saw anything but white cheese used. So this would suggest if some one orderd a cheese only it would not turn orange?  Im sure some one out there must have a cheese only picture. Must investigate!! Thanks for the recipes!

The only good pic I could find is this one.
The cheese is not orange. Also notice the bits of tomato in the sauce.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:59:34 PM by OTRChef »

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
OTR,
Would you please tell us more about your recipe....is this something that you have come up with, have you ever made it without cooking the sauce?
Parts of your post sorta sound like quoted text and I'm curios...do you have some insider info here? Thanks!

Bob

The only insider info I have is obtained from having eaten at their Homewood restaurant for over 50 years. I have also research and experimented with their recipe since moving to Florida 12 years ago. Having been an accomplished chef myself, I believe I have nailed their recipe and quite possibly improved it (at least for home pizza making).
I have used the sauce both cooked and uncooked. I prefer it cooked, albeit it is only cooked momentarily. Just enough to blend the flavors. I have always felt, canned tomatoes needed some cooking to achieve maximum flavor. However, this isn't Italian gravy.
If parts of my post sound like quotes, it is because I use a recipe database (Mastercook) to store ALL my recipes.  :pizza:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
Thanks OTR,  you mention Centos being your second favorite....are you refering to their crushed/ground or their DOP whole?

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:17 PM »
Thanks OTR,  you mention Centos being your second favorite....are you refering to their crushed/ground or their DOP whole?

Crushed...but try the Muir Glen Fire-Roasted too. It really is an improvement, although more expensive.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:34:56 AM »
OTR,

To be honest with you, Centos crushed, to me, are horribly tinny tasting ...and if you do a search of them here on the forum you'll find that most agree. Their DOP San Marzanos, however, are VERY good though $$.
The Muir Glen organic are well liked, not sure about the fire- roasted ones though...
They say the Aurelios sauce is very sweet so I am wondering if you know of and have tried the Walmart "Classico" brand of tomatoes yet? It is widely known that they are made by the same people that produce the 6n1 product...a very high quality, sweet tasting sauce.
I'm going to try your spice blend with some ground Classico's. I like the sound of your proportions and I 've never worked with barley syrup before so I'm real interested in giving this a go.

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:51:11 PM »
OTR,

To be honest with you, Centos crushed, to me, are horribly tinny tasting ...and if you do a search of them here on the forum you'll find that most agree. Their DOP San Marzanos, however, are VERY good though $$.
The Muir Glen organic are well liked, not sure about the fire- roasted ones though...
They say the Aurelios sauce is very sweet so I am wondering if you know of and have tried the Walmart "Classico" brand of tomatoes yet? It is widely known that they are made by the same people that produce the 6n1 product...a very high quality, sweet tasting sauce.
I'm going to try your spice blend with some ground Classico's. I like the sound of your proportions and I 've never worked with barley syrup before so I'm real interested in giving this a go.

The San Marzanos is what I've used and yes, they are expensive which leads me to believe Aurelios probably does not use them. I have not used the Classico yet, but will check on those. Making great pizza is a journey and I'm always looking for ways to improve.
FYI, I use the Eden's Organic brand of barley malt syrup. It is readily available at Whole Foods and Fresh Market.
I make pizza every week and will be making it again on Sunday. Just bought a new pizza pan and will try both in the pan and on the stone...again!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:55:19 PM by OTRChef »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Eden's syrup... ;)
You do not want to forget about the Classico's , OTR....the ground or crushed will put you right in the ballpark of the Cento's but at 1/3 the cost. Some here have said Classico "pear strips" are excellent also and this may be a good alternative to use on DD pizza and such....I can't get them in my area but I'm still on the hunt.
Good luck on Sunday....

Bob

ps,does Aurelios use a screen for part of their bake?

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the Eden's syrup... ;)
You do not want to forget about the Classico's , OTR....the ground or crushed will put you right in the ballpark of the Cento's but at 1/3 the cost. Some here have said Classico "pear strips" are excellent also and this may be a good alternative to use on DD pizza and such....I can't get them in my area but I'm still on the hunt.
Good luck on Sunday....

Bob

ps,does Aurelios use a screen for part of their bake?

To the best of my knowledge, they do not use a screen. I believe their oven temp is 550F or 650F. Could not tell exactly from afar.
Just made my dough for tomorrow. I will now go to Walmart and get some Classico to try for sauce.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »
Sounds great OTR.... glad you are getting the classico's, you will be too... ;)
Don't worry too much about their temps.  You have what you have...put your stone a 'lil lower this next time, after your par-bake of the crust poke any air bubbles with a knif..don't roll over it with your pin like you've been doing...if you "dock" it first you won't have air pockets...anyway, please let the par-baked crust cool, preferably on a cooling rack...stove top grates will work...after you dress the pie place it directly on the stone...No pan...I hope you have your dough weight per "X" size pizza proper...I'm sure you do..don't wanna end up with a Cracker..Ha!   ;)
Hope you have fun tomorrow....OTR, please don't forget to take a pic or 3 or 4...thanks!

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »
Sounds great OTR.... glad you are getting the classico's, you will be too... ;)
Don't worry too much about their temps.  You have what you have...put your stone a 'lil lower this next time, after your par-bake of the crust poke any air bubbles with a knif..don't roll over it with your pin like you've been doing...if you "dock" it first you won't have air pockets...anyway, please let the par-baked crust cool, preferably on a cooling rack...stove top grates will work...after you dress the pie place it directly on the stone...No pan...I hope you have your dough weight per "X" size pizza proper...I'm sure you do..don't wanna end up with a Cracker..Ha!   ;)
Hope you have fun tomorrow....OTR, please don't forget to take a pic or 3 or 4...thanks!

The sauce is cooking now! I made it with the Classico's and noticed it has much smaller tomato bits than the Muir Glen's. However I've have also noticed the sugar content is only one gram difference. The Classico is 5g of sugar and the Muir Glen is 4g. We'll see about the taste!
Dough weight is about 13oz per 14in pie. Since my recipe makes 2 pies, I will try one on the stone and one in the greased pan I just bought. I've adjusted the dough recipe ever so slightly and will post the feedback tomorrow. Rarely do I have to poke bubbles as the docking usually solves that problem. I always cool the pre-baked crust somewhat before baking. Since I always make 2 pizzas, one crust will be cooling as I cook the other.
I will take pics tomorrow!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »
It sounds like you have all your ducks lined up OTR and the stage is set for tomorrow...please don't forget a pic or two an I hope ya'll have a great weekend man!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »
OTRChef,

The FDA requires that Sugars be reported in the Nutrition Facts to the nearest gram. For small amounts of Sugars, like 4 or 5 grams, that can mean some wide percentage swings from actual values, much more so than when comparing large numbers. Also, when comparing the Classico crushed tomatoes and the Muir Glen crushed tomatoes (or whatever other tomatoes you might compare), you will want to be sure that the serving sizes are the same and adjust the Sugars values accordingly. You will also want to compare the sodium values for the same serving sizes and adjust those also. From some testing I have done, I found that high sodium (salt) levels can reduce the sensation of sweetness on the palate.

In the final analysis, the results will tell you which of the two tomatoes produces the greater sensation of sweetness, or the better overall outcome.

Peter

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »
OTRChef,

The FDA requires that Sugars be reported in the Nutrition Facts to the nearest gram. For small amounts of Sugars, like 4 or 5 grams, that can mean some wide percentage swings from actual values, much more so than when comparing large numbers. Also, when comparing the Classico crushed tomatoes and the Muir Glen crushed tomatoes (or whatever other tomatoes you might compare), you will want to be sure that the serving sizes are the same and adjust the Sugars values accordingly. You will also want to compare the sodium values for the same serving sizes and adjust those also. From some testing I have done, I found that high sodium (salt) levels can reduce the sensation of sweetness on the palate.

In the final analysis, the results will tell you which of the two tomatoes produces the greater sensation of sweetness, or the better overall outcome.

Peter

Comparing both brands, the Muir Glen does have more salt; 290mg vs 200mg. Interestingly the serving sizes are the same in volume, 1/2 cup; but not in weight, 130g for Muir Glen...110g for Classico.
I tasted the Classico sauce this morning and it indeed does taste sweeter than the sauce made with Muir Glen. We'll see how it tastes on the pie this afternoon!

Offline OTRChef

Pizza Pizza Pizza
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »
Sunday was a great success! Made 2 pizzas; one on the stone and one in the pan. No doubt, for home pizza making, the stone is the best way to achieve a crispy crust!
Although the sauce made with the Classico crushed tomatoes most closely resembles Aurelios sauce, the sauce made with the Muir Glen Fire-Roasted crushed tomatoes is even a better tasting sauce! There is a depth of flavor that can only come from fire-roasting the tomatoes. If you choose the Classico, add a 1/2t of salt to the recipe. Also, I adjusted the crust recipe by adding 1/3c of olive oil vs 1/4c. It turned out perfect. the flavor is outstanding!

Now for some pictures...

Here is the pre-baked crust; assembled pre-baked crust; cooked on stone; pan crust; cooked in pan; comparison of bottoms. Two hours after cooking the stone-baked crust was still crispy!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:20:00 AM by OTRChef »

Offline OTRChef

Chicago Style Italian Sausage
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »
For those of you who want to make their own sausage, here's my recipe:

Chicago Style Italian Sausage

5             pounds  pork shoulder
  5        tablespoons  fennel seeds
  3        tablespoons  Morton Tender Quick
  1 1/4    tablespoons  black pepper -- coarsely ground
  1         tablespoon  red pepper flakes
  2          teaspoons  garlic powder
  1          teaspoon sweet paprika
  1                cup  Pinot Grigio

Cut pork shoulder into 1x1 inch strips. Process in food grinder with coarse blade. Add all the spices to the wine and mix well. Pour wine over ground pork and using your hands combine well. If you will be stuffing casings, freeze mixture for about 30 minutes before stuffing. If not stuffing casings, divide mixture into 1-pound packages and freeze until needed. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using frozen sausage.

Yield:
  "5 1/2 pounds"
Start to Finish Time:
  "1:00"

Serving Ideas : GREAT on pizzas or charbroiled!

NOTES : Variations:
Use Chianti in place of Pinot Grigio.
Add chopped red & green bell peppers.
Add grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
Add finely chopped prosciutto or pancheta.
Add Smoked Hot Paprika instead of sweet paprika.

Note: Morton Tender Quick is a curing salt available online (http://www.americanspice.com/morton-tender-quick-meat-cure-2-lbs/) and elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:58:12 AM by OTRChef »

pizzapan