Author Topic: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!  (Read 17647 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Chicago Style Italian Sausage
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
For those of you who want to make their own sausage, here's my recipe:

Chicago Style Italian Sausage

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  5             pounds  pork shoulder
  5        tablespoons  fennel seeds
  3        tablespoons  Morton Tender Quick
  1 1/4    tablespoons  black pepper -- coarsely ground
  1         tablespoon  red pepper flakes
  2          teaspoons  garlic powder
  1          teaspoon sweet paprika
  1                cup  Pinot Grigio

I once saw a TV show in which Marc Malnati seemed very offended by the suggestion that deep dish sausage might contain fennel. I think sometimes Marc Malnati uses a little misdirection on TV to keep some of his secrets, but I didn't feel that way with the fennel comment.

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »
I once saw a TV show in which Marc Malnati seemed very offended by the suggestion that deep dish sausage might contain fennel. I think sometimes Marc Malnati uses a little misdirection on TV to keep some of his secrets, but I didn't feel that way with the fennel comment.

Chicago's Italian sausage is well known for it's high fennel content. The only sausage maker that I know of in Chicago that does not use a lot of fennel is Bobaks.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
I've seen where Marc shuns fennel but I have always thought that the flavor of fennel sorta defines the "taste" of Chicago pizza. You often here it said that the best Chicago pie is a "sausage only".
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Chicago's Italian sausage is well known for it's high fennel content. The only sausage maker that I know of in Chicago that does not use a lot of fennel is Bobaks.

Yeah, well Chicago deep dish is even more known for having cornmeal in the dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
Yeah, well Chicago deep dish is even more known for having cornmeal in the dough.
http://www.realdeepdish.com/pressing-out-deep-dish-dough/  I believe that member Eb "VCB" has been pretty adamant about dispelling that myth on his website...even going so far as to invite Pat Bruno(?) to stop writing/saying that Chicago DD has cornmeal in it. And I'm pretty sure that several other well known deep dish pros on this site are saying/using semolina as the misunderstood addition to the DD dough.

But something tells me you already know that Ryan.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
But something tells me you already know that Ryan.

I'm gonna defer commenting on that until people start calling me an idiot for helping spread the universe's most egregious pizza myth.

(By the way, what does egregious mean?)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
I'm gonna defer commenting on that until people start calling me an idiot for helping spread the universe's most egregious pizza myth.

(By the way, what does egregious mean?)
Uuuuum...gee-whiz, I kinda think it's sorta like when a guy is act'in like a Dufus....not sure... ;D

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
I'll have to give this recipe a try.

I love spicy Italian sausage.

The last time I made it, I ran it through my sausage stuffer attachment on my KA mixer and made logs in which I lightly froze and then I cut into nice uniform pieces.  If you look at pic #1, you can see the fennel  8)
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »
Look'in real good there Dino!   :chef:
Have you ever heard of the trick where you leave out the cutter wheel to get a courser grind?
One of our members,"Meatballs", Ron is a home beer brewer and also knows his stuff about grinding meat. Check Cory's off topic hamburger grinding thread if you'd like.... ;)

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
Have you ever heard of the trick where you leave out the cutter wheel to get a courser grind?
One of our members,"Meatballs", Ron is a home beer brewer and also knows his stuff about grinding meat. Check Cory's off topic hamburger grinding thread if you'd like.... ;)

Damn you....I like to leave out the cutter wheeel for the 1st grind, then I refrigerate the grind for at least 2 hours and grind it again using the coarse grind wheel! Quit giving away my secrets... ;D

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »

Thanks for the tip and suggestions.  I made that batch by myself.  Talk about spinning plates  :-D
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 09:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip and suggestions.  I made that batch by myself.  Talk about spinning plates  :-D
Good for you druddah! Looks to be bout 5 pounds alone there just on the cutt'in board. Gotta love dat fennel, eh?   :chef:

BTW, thanks for giving me OTR's secret about leaving the cutting wheel out!!    :-D

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Tender Quick?  Why not just regular salt?  Italian sausage isn't usually cured, from what I understand, so why go the nitrates route?  How does it differ?

Thanks,
Garvey

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »
Tender Quick?  Why not just regular salt?  Italian sausage isn't usually cured, from what I understand, so why go the nitrates route?  How does it differ?

Thanks,
Garvey

Nitrates and/or nitrites are used in the making of Italian sausage. Nitrate and Nitrite Compounds not only help kill bacteria, but also produce a characteristic flavor, and give meat a pink or red color.
Botulism in Latin is "botulus"...or "sausage". This probably refers to the shape of the organism, but the irony is, sausage making can easily produce this serious illness, not to mention E. coli infections also!
BTW, the dextrose in Morton's also helps to ferment beneficial bacteria such as lactobacilli. This process is in fact a form of fermentation, and, in addition to reducing further the ability of the spoilage bacteria to grow - it also gives the sausage it's characteristic flavor!
Especially for the home sausage maker, where sterile equipment is seldom used, I highly recommend the use of Morton's Tender Quick!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
I am really curios about this stuff....particularly this "characteristic flavor" aspect you have mention several times.Is this type of curing salt used in all commercial sausage?

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
I am really curios about this stuff....particularly this "characteristic flavor" aspect you have mention several times.Is this type of curing salt used in all commercial sausage?

Tender Quick, Prague Powder, or proprietary blends using nitrates/nitrites are most definitely are used in commercial sausage. "Uncured" brands still use celery juice, which is a natural source of nitrates: http://ask.applegate.com/applegate/topics/do_applegate_products_contain_nitrites_or_nitrates?utm_medium=widget&utm_source=widget_applegate&from_gsfn=true
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:11:23 PM by OTRChef »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
Oh I am definitely going to try this, I 've made pizza sausage only a few times and I am trying to envision the flavor change that this product is going to bring to the pallete. Not a fan of commercial It. sausage so I'm jus having a hard time understanding what you mean by "characteristic flavor"...guess I'll be finding out.... ;)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
Curious why you use Mortons Tender Quick? I've never seen a fresh sausage that used nitrates and nitrites. Doesn't really seem neccesary from a preserving point with fresh, but maybe it would do something with taste and color.

jb

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »

For most Chicago thin crust pizzas, I'd agree about the fennel, but deep dish has always been a different animal.
If you're trying to match the taste of a Uno's or Malnati's, leave out the fennel.
I'm happy with it either way, and prefer italian sausage with fennel on thin crust.

There's a Malnati's Sausage thread here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12222.0
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »
Curious why you use Mortons Tender Quick? I've never seen a fresh sausage that used nitrates and nitrites. Doesn't really seem neccesary from a preserving point with fresh, but maybe it would do something with taste and color.

jb

Creating fresh sausage also creates the kind of anaerobic environment food poisoning pathogens thrive in. Most of us make more sausage than is needed for a single pizza, so storing it IS an issue. Besides, gray sausage is unappealing.

Read this: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:41:12 AM by OTRChef »

pizzapan