Author Topic: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!  (Read 17633 times)

Offline BTB

Re: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
Thanks, Peter.  No, I hadn't heard about that so I checked and found that the "new" Aurelio's in Naples, FL will become a clone, corporate restaurant.  And this got really got my dander up.  The Stewart family that developed the original Aurelio's pizzeria in Naples, FL some 15 years or so ago (was from the Aurelio's Homewood, IL area and friends of Joe Aurelio), that was in the spirit of the truest Joe Aurelio pizza style, has elected not to renew their franchise agreement with the new corporate leaders of the new Aurelio corporation.  That's because the new corporate philosophy was to demand robotic conformity to  corporate dictates and screwy requirements.  The former original Naples Aurelio's was kind of forced to change their name to Sweet Home Chicago Pub & Grub.  And I encourage all who love great Chicago pizza, esp. pizza like original Aurelio's, to visit and have a great pizza at the Steward family's real Aurelio's pizzeria in Naples, now named Sweet Home Chicago Pub & Grill.  Even under their new name, I'm sure they will continue to WIN the No. 1 Best Pizza award in the Naples area as they often have.  

As is explained in the article linked below, the original Aurelio's Naples owners didn't want to be "handcuffed" by new corporate requirements relating to the most nonsensical things possible (e.g., new mandatory requirement to buy FROZEN sausage from corporate out of Chicago instead of sourcing locally -- with special aurelio's spices that Naples Aurelio's always had added).  And other similar super stupid corporate requirements.  This is where corporate bureaucrats will likely ruin a great business like that Joe Aurelio started and I doubt that Joe would have approved of the treatment of such an old franchisee and friend.

Here's some information from the article that points to the utter stupidity of many "corporate requirements! ! !"

“When we first opened in Naples in 1997 and for many years thereafter, we were grant­ed a great deal of auton­omy in the development of our ‘Chicago’ restau­rant theme as well as our menu. That has changed, whereby we have become expected to fall in line as a cookie-cutter clone of corporate’s ever-changing thinking.”
"For instance, Stewart said he was permitted to purchase fresh pork products for sausage from Jimmy P’s Butcher Shop in Naples until a few months ago. Aurelio’s no longer al­lows it, Stewart said.

“We now must buy a frozen product from a subsidiary company owned by Aurelio’s that is shipped down to Florida,” he said. “We prefer to buy local, fresh and the best."

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jun/18/aurelios-pizza-changes-naples-sweet-home-chicago/

I encourage all when in the Naples area to visit the great renamed restaurant:  Sweet Home Chicago Pub & Grub for the best pizza that is similar (I'll say the same) as Joe Aurelio's original pizza.

--BTB

Pic of the original Naples Aurelio's that did much to build the Aurelio's brand in the Naples, FL area.  Now the "corporate" store will get the benefit of the great products developed by the original Naples Aurelio's family.  There is no justice.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:28:03 PM by BTB »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
While it is sad that this particular family is being screwed, the upside is that there will now be two very edible commercial pizzas in Naples.  That is twice the number of edible pizzas in my hometown.

:D

Always the optimist!

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
I've tweaked my recipes ever so slightly and the result is perfect pizza in the Aurelio's Style! Thank you everyone for your input! :chef:

Aurelio's Thin Pizza Crust

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
     3/4           cup  warm water
  1         tablespoon  barley malt syrup
  1           teaspoon  yeast
     1/4           cup  corn oil
  1         tablespoon  extra virgin olive oil
  1           teaspoon  sea salt
  1              pound  King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour

In a 2-cup glass measuring cup or bowl, add 1st 3 ingredients and about 1/4 cup of flour from the pre-weighed one pound batch; mix until yeast is dissolved. Allow yeast mixture to set until sponge forms (about 10 min).

In a heavy duty stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add salt, remaining flour, oil, and yeast sponge; then mix on low speed until a ball forms. Additional water may be needed, but add 1T at a time! Stop mixing when ball forms as this dough should not be kneaded. Place the ball of dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 24 hours. This step is absolutely necessary to develop the right texture and most importantly, the right flavor!

After the dough has ripen for 24 hours, remove from refrigerator and place in a warm place for at least 2 hours. Then preheat oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees F. When the oven reaches temp it is now time to roll the dough.

Divide the dough into 2 and roll the 1st piece as thin as possible. Dock the dough with a pizza docker or a fork. Dust your pizza peel with semolina or farina and place rolled dough unto peel. Without adding ANY toppings, slide dough unto pizza stone and cook for 4 minutes. While 1st piece is cooking, roll the 2nd, and then follow the same procedure.

Once the dough is precooked, pop any bubbles; then you can add the sauce and toppings of your choice. Return to oven and cook until cheeses have browned and sauce is bubbling!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 146 Calories; 5g Fat (29.6% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 119mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Aurelio's Pizza Sauce

28            ounces  Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
     1/4           cup  turbinado sugar
  1         tablespoon  olive oil
  1           teaspoon  oregano -- dry
  1           teaspoon  basil -- dry
     1/2      teaspoon  garlic powder
     1/2      teaspoon  onion powder
     1/2      teaspoon  black pepper
     1/2      teaspoon  sea salt

Place all ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan and heat on low for about 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling. Set aside for at least 2 hours before using. Best if refrigerated overnight, then allowed to come to room temp before topping pizza.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 36 Calories; 1g Fat (22.5% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 124mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Chicago Style Italian Sausage

5             pounds  pork shoulder
  5        tablespoons  fennel seeds
  3        tablespoons  Morton Tender Quick
  1 1/4    tablespoons  black pepper -- coarsely ground
  1         tablespoon  red pepper flakes
  2          teaspoons  garlic powder
  1           teaspoon  sweet paprika
  1                cup  water

Cut pork shoulder into 1x1 inch strips. Process in food grinder with coarse blade. Add all the spices to the water and mix well. Pour spice mixture over ground pork and using your hands combine well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate mixture for at least one hour or as much as overnight.

Divide the sausage mixture into about 2-pound batches. Then using a heavy duty stand mixer and the flat beater attachment, beat the sausage mixture until it becomes cohesive and sticky (about 1-2 minutes).

If you will be stuffing casings, freeze mixture for about 30 minutes before stuffing. If not stuffing casings, divide mixture into 1-pound packages and freeze until needed. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using frozen sausage.

Yield:
  "5 1/2 pounds"

NOTES : Variations:
Use Chianti or Pinot Grigio instead of water.
Add chopped red & green bell peppers.
Add grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
Add finely chopped prosciutto or pancheta.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:05:37 AM by OTRChef »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Randy,
Glad you continue to tweak your Aurelio's pizza.....all of them look really good!
Would you mind telling us what cheese you are using....it really does give that Aurelio's look....thanks!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
Randy,
Glad you continue to tweak your Aurelio's pizza.....all of them look really good!
Would you mind telling us what cheese you are using....it really does give that Aurelio's look....thanks!

Bob

I use what they use...low moisture, part skim mozzarella.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
Any particular brand Randal?

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »
Any particular brand Randal?

I've been using mostly Publix.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontičres
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »

I am not convinced you are correct in your statement that it is low moisture part skim mozz, ive cooked a lot of pizzas with low moisture part skim, all kinds of brands, all different qualities.  never turned out like aurelios' cheese, which to me takes on a almosy crunchy outer texture.  closest ive ever used was chellino scarmoza, chellino out of joliet, il provides scamorza to several pizzerias i hear.  and when i worked at aurelios, and would grind the cheese,  the cheese was in big blocks almost as dry as parm.  i think they use Chellino brand scarmoza.   just my op!

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »
I am not convinced you are correct in your statement that it is low moisture part skim mozz, ive cooked a lot of pizzas with low moisture part skim, all kinds of brands, all different qualities.  never turned out like aurelios' cheese, which to me takes on a almosy crunchy outer texture.  closest ive ever used was chellino scarmoza, chellino out of joliet, il provides scamorza to several pizzerias i hear.  and when i worked at aurelios, and would grind the cheese,  the cheese was in big blocks almost as dry as parm.  i think they use Chellino brand scarmoza.   just my op!

According to the USDA the names mozzarella and scamorza are interchangeable. What makes real scamorza different is the milk would be from Italian cows. I highly doubt that anyone in America is making real scamorza, therefore you are buying mozzarella under the name of scamorza. I used Chellino brand scamorza when I lived in Chicago and the only difference I found was in the name. Of course, I do not know of anyone producing a low-fat low-moisture version. With that said, it is my belief that if in fact you were to use full fat cheese on your pizzas it would be less crunchy than a low fat version because of it's higher FO content. I have also noticed the fat content of a single slice of their pizza is said to have 6g of fat. Considering their crust has a lot of fat in it, that seems low if in fact they were using full fat mozzarella. I guess someone could write to Aurelios and ask them what they use...tell them your on a diet. However, they may respond with, quit eating pizza! ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
low moisture/part skim gives me the best "crunchies" on a Chicago thin...

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »

I certainly agree!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontičres
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2012, 10:31:29 PM »

whole milk mozz and fresh grated parm gives me the best crunches on My Chicago thin.  anyhow Scamorza is drier than mozz and tasted saltier to me.  iv tried both imported and domestic.  Chellino says on the package cheese for pizza and  they sell to a lot of pizzerias in chicago......so some one must think it's different!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontičres
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »
besides....Jake loves it! isn't that enough? the forum gets a shout out from Jake too!  I would use chelllino all the time if I could get my hands on some more! 

http://blog.jakeparrillo.com/2011/03/scamorza-cheese-best-pizza-cheese.html

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
whole milk mozz and fresh grated parm gives me the best crunches on My Chicago thin.  anyhow Scamorza is drier than mozz and tasted saltier to me.  iv tried both imported and domestic.  Chellino says on the package cheese for pizza and  they sell to a lot of pizzerias in chicago......so some one must think it's different!

Pics or it didn't happen.... :-D
Anyway, yeah I've been wanting to try some Scar but it's hard to come by. I understand it has a saltier taste than Mozz and I like the sound of that....I am still searching for the cheese of my youth' pizza's circa 1970. I wonder if this could be it....

Offline OTRChef

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
From the GPO...

§ 133.155 Mozzarella cheese and scamorza cheese.
(a) Description. (1) Mozzarella cheese, scamorza cheese is the food prepared from dairy ingredients and other ingredient specified in this section by the procedure set forth in paragraph (a)(3) of this section, or by any other procedure which produces a finished cheese having the same physical and chemical properties. It may be molded into various shapes. The minimum milkfat content is 45 percent by weight of the solids, and the moisture content is more than 52 percent but not more than 60 percent by weight as determined by the methods described in § 133.5.

§ 133.156 Low-moisture mozzarella and scamorza cheese.
(a) Description. (1) Low-moisture mozzarella cheese, low-moisture scamorza cheese is the food prepared from dairy ingredients and other ingredients specified in this section by the procedure set forth in paragraph (a)(3) of this section,
or by any other procedure which produces a finished cheese having the same physical and chemical properties. It may be molded into various shapes. The minimum milkfat content is 45 percent by weight of the solids and the moisture content is more than 45 percent but not more than 52 percent by weight as determined by the methods described in § 133.5.

§ 133.157   Part-skim mozzarella and scamorza cheese.
Part-skim mozzarella cheese, part-skim scamorza cheese conforms to the definition and standard of identity as prescribed for mozzarella cheese by §133.155, except that its milk fat content, calculated on the solids basis, is less than 45 percent but not less than 30 percent.

§ 133.158   Low-moisture part-skim mozzarella and scamorza cheese.
Low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese and low-moisture part-skim scamorza cheese conform to the definition and standard of identity and comply with the requirements for label declaration of ingredients prescribed for low-moisture mozzarella cheese and low-moisture scamorza cheese by §133.156, except that their milkfat content, calculated on the solids basis, is less than 45 percent but not less than 30 percent.

As you can see, low-moisture part-skim mozzarella and scamorza have LESS moisture (drier) than full-fat cheese. Theoretically a low-fat low-moisture cheese should produce crunchies better since it has less moisture and less FO content. However, why not have some here put all four cheeses on the same pie and see what happens. I'd do it myself, but we don't have a source for scamorza here. Post the results with accompanying pictures. I think we would all be interested in the results!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
I think there are a lot of factors involved here too though Randy.. people can bake pies in non traditional manners and get results that otherwise might not be typical...jus say'in.  ;)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontičres
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.... :-D
Anyway, yeah I've been wanting to try some Scar but it's hard to come by. I understand it has a saltier taste than Mozz and I like the sound of that....I am still searching for the cheese of my youth' pizza's circa 1970. I wonder if this could be it....

ok, this is from last weds nights pizza, it was pizzanox here, in boise, ID the 1st night it was below 90 degrees outside after about 2 months of unreal hot weather.  being the 1st cool night i could fire the oven in comfort!  pic is from my phone.  chicago thin crust, i laminated the dough, whole milk mozz with fresh grated imported parm on top with oregano, cooked in a wfo.  was very happy with the laminated crust! 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
Looks great Mojo!...any chance you have a pic of the laminated crust?

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontičres
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »
sorry dont have good crust shots on my phone. when i get home ill check my wifes camera.  bought a somerset 2000 sheeter for myself for my bday.  have made about 4 pizzas now with it. am really started to dig the results.  i will try and get some good edge shots. i may post in a new thread.  dont want to detract from the good aurelios discussion!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontičres
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »
Looks great Mojo!...any chance you have a pic of the laminated crust?

last nights chicago thin crust,  i laminated the dough, whole milk mozz with fresh grated imported parm on top with oregano, cooked in a wfo. same as above,  but i folded it less in the laminating process i think i was making too many layers too thin and thus they were merging.  this worked better.  here's some crust pics as well.

pizzapan