Author Topic: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!  (Read 18851 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »
another crust shot

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2012, 01:00:59 AM »
last one.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
Truly a thing of beauty, mrmojo!  Is that the formulation from this thread? 

Man, I am jealous of your setup.  The WFO plus the sheeter.  Heck, I'd settle for just the sheeter.  Too bad they are so expensive, even on the secondary market. 

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
Truly a thing of beauty, mrmojo!  Is that the formulation from this thread? 

Man, I am jealous of your setup.  The WFO plus the sheeter.  Heck, I'd settle for just the sheeter.  Too bad they are so expensive, even on the secondary market. 

Sorry Garvey no this crust is from loos generic thin crust recipe.  The pics were in response to bob's request, stemming from discussion on scamorza, part skim mozz. Vs. Whole milk. I am very happy with loos thin crust. I do want to try your factory crust as well! Here's the formulation used. For 6 dough balls for 14inch pizzas.
Thanks for the kind words.

Flour (100%):    1520.41 g  |  53.63 oz | 3.35 lbs
Water (50%):    760.21 g  |  26.82 oz | 1.68 lbs
ADY (1%):    15.2 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 4.02 tsp | 1.34 tbsp
Salt (1%):    15.2 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.72 tsp | 0.91 tbsp
Corn Oil (3%):    45.61 g | 1.61 oz | 0.1 lbs | 10.14 tsp | 3.38 tbsp
Total (155%):   2356.64 g | 83.13 oz | 5.2 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball:   392.77 g | 13.85 oz | 0.87 lbs

Offline BTB

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:43 PM »
Mrmojo, would like to see some pictures and further information about your use of the "Somerset 2000 sheeter."  Please share with us.  Looks like it made some great crusts. 

I came across this video on Youtube at and the photo below from the internet.  Is this what you got?

8)                  --BTB

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2012, 03:55:41 PM »
That's the one BTB. Got it off craigs. Guy had it for less than a year. Got it brand new. He closed his pizza place.  Here it is in the living room. We are working on another room that will hopefully become home to all the pizza tools. Operation is very simple trial and error on the thickness settings to get size and thk u desire.  Need to use lots of bench flour as this thing really brings out the moisture in your dough as it compresses.  Makes laminating so much easier.  So I flatten a dough ball, cover it in flour. Pass it through top and bottom.  I then take the skin and use butter flavored shortening and brush it lightly. Too much and the dough will fall apart as it passes thru.   I know fold only about 5 times re-shape it into a sealed disc of dough. Flour it and pass it through again, then create rim sauce and top. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
mrmojo,
Yeah baby...way to work that sheeter. Thanks man!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline BTB

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »
Mrmojo, wow, you are going to be the envy of all the thin crust pizzamakers here.  When are you opening your pizzeria?  LOL.                                                                                               --BTB

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »
no way BTB!  i am still learning from you and all the awesome experts here all the time!!  you guys produce unreal pizzas!!  But, alas  I am unfortunately not a medical Doctor.  so i am thinking that maybe someday when I retire, i can do Pizza without borders?  heh heh.

Offline BTB

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »
Regarding the discussion of pizza cheeses several postings above, I think more pizzerias are returning to Whole Milk mozarrella as opposed to part-skimmed.  Here's a good article about about pizza cheese from Slice's Pizza Lab.  I wholeheartedly agree with their No. One choice of Polly-O WHOLE milk cheese, not part-skimmed, altho there are a few good whole milk ones that are comparable IMO with the Polly-O mozzarella (i.e., Sorrento and Sargento). 

The Best Low-Moisture Mozzarella For Pizzas http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-pizza-lab-the-best-low-moisture-mozzarella-for-pizzas.html

The remarks in the article regarding the difference between pre-shredded and the block cheese is interesting as I've never heard it expressed like this before:

"Pre-shredded mozzarella comes coated with a desiccating powder (either cellulose, potato, or corn starch), designed to prevent the individual shreds from clumping together. This works, except it gives the cheese an unpleasantly gritty mouthfeel when eaten raw. That said, the only people who eat raw mozzarella are crazies and wackos, so who cares?"  So not much difference when melted.

And my two cents regarding Scamorza, it tastes fairly different and is very delicious as compared to regular mozzarella IMO.  But the proof is in the pudding . . . try it! !

--BTB

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »
wish I could get my hands on some Polly o! cant find it out here.  maybe I should check amazon.  also scamorza is hard to find.  Chellino seems to not want anyone to buy their cheese except from stores in the chicago area! de rosi imports had it once! but thats the last time I was able to buy it on line.  after all the trials, I too have settled on whole milk, hands down.  yum yum! thanks for your inputs BTB I always value your opinions greatly!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »
wish I could get my hands on some Polly o! cant find it out here.  maybe I should check amazon.  also scamorza is hard to find.  Chellino seems to not want anyone to buy their cheese except from stores in the chicago area! de rosi imports had it once! but thats the last time I was able to buy it on line.  after all the trials, I too have settled on whole milk, hands down.  yum yum! thanks for your inputs BTB I always value your opinions greatly!
I don't know where you're at mojo but I do know Polly-O is made in the East. It's everywhere here but I don't remember if it was even in Chicago when I lived there.

Offline pulykamell

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »
OTR,

I'm truly not trying to get into a "You're wrong I'm right" argument about this. I just wanted to understand what your reasoning was. Thanks for the above post as it clarifies what your goal was in adding the nitrates and nitrites. Personally I'm not concerned with botulism in fresh sausage and don't feel the need to add the extra chemicals.

I agree here. Unless I'm forgetting something, I've actually never come across a fresh sausage recipe that uses nitrites and nitrates (commercial sausage, yes), and I make a decent amount of sausage both uncured and cured, as well as other cured meats. I have no issue with nitrites/nitrates, I use pink salt plenty myself, just no real point in fresh sausage, unless you plan to keep it out for awhile for some reason. (I always freeze any leftover sausage.)

Nitrite will do a couple of things culinarily in sausage: give it a pink color, and impart a bit of a cured, bacon-like taste to it. Judging by the color and how it fades in a day or two, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of in-house Chicago Italian and other fresh sausages are made without nitrites.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
I don't know where you're at mojo but I do know Polly-O is made in the East. It's everywhere here but I don't remember if it was even in Chicago when I lived there.

hey Bob!  i am in boise Idaho!  man!  cant find polly 0 here.  the best they have is precious brand....which i think is part of stella?  it has been ok.  i have been using feather shredded whole milk i get in like a  lb bag from a restaurant supply.  it is funny but i think its a little better than the precious......they switched brands there once and it was horrible.  it didnt melt right at all.  but this latest brand melts well.  but like the precious not a ton of flavor...i really liked the flavor of the chellino scamorza i got once!!!  thanks for all the kind words and the great info and insights!  i like seeing your pizzas as well!!!!  lots of inspiration around here!!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2012, 08:06:04 AM »
mrmojo,
Have you been able to try Grande yet? It sure did make a BIG difference on my Chicago thin pizzas. What about Sorrento (NOT Sargento) ? Sorrento is very, very similar to Polly-O. See if you can find some Sorrento and if after that you'd still like to try the Polly then PM me and I'll help you out with trying the Polly-O.

Bob

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »
hey, since you guys are talking about cheese...

What store are you guys finding your Polly-O at?  I just moved to Tucson, AZ and would like to look for it here.  What other national brands would you reccommend?  I lived in Canada for the last decade, so I'm not familiar with the US brands.

THanks!   :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Hey CDN,
I'm sure my grocers are different than your's but I have gotten polly-o at Walmart.
A just about even toss up for the whole milk 1lb blocks would be Sorrento...NOT Sargento.
Although, I've recently tried the newer Sargento "artisans" shredded packs and the mozz/provo blend works pretty well on my Chi-town thins.  ;)

Offline homesickjayjay

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »
I'm using the sauce recipe for the second time today, last weekend I followed the latest recipe to the letter but it was a bit too sweet for my tastes.  This weekend I've left out half the sugar, added an extra 1/2tsp. basil and oregano, an extra fat pinch of seasalt, and threw in a tsp. of fennel even though Aurelio's doesnt do that.  When I was in Chicago a couple weeks back we went to Aurelio's and focused on the sauce, and I think mine is missing either salt or acidity.  Maybe my dutch tomatoes are milder than those Aurelio's uses.  If the pinch of salt doesn't make it a bit more snappy I'll play with adding a small quantity of citric acid crystals next weekend.  But I have my fingers crossed that it comes out perfect this time!

Offline account

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
I'm using the sauce recipe for the second time today, last weekend I followed the latest recipe to the letter but it was a bit too sweet for my tastes.  This weekend I've left out half the sugar, added an extra 1/2tsp. basil and oregano, an extra fat pinch of seasalt, and threw in a tsp. of fennel even though Aurelio's doesnt do that.  When I was in Chicago a couple weeks back we went to Aurelio's and focused on the sauce, and I think mine is missing either salt or acidity.  Maybe my dutch tomatoes are milder than those Aurelio's uses.  If the pinch of salt doesn't make it a bit more snappy I'll play with adding a small quantity of citric acid crystals next weekend.  But I have my fingers crossed that it comes out perfect this time!

Try these, they are great, http://www.escalon.net/products/6in1-tomato-sauce.aspx I use the All Purpose ground.
You can find them in Italian groceries all over the Chicago area.  Amazon has them as well, but be prepared to pay for shipping.  

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »
I'm using the sauce recipe for the second time today, last weekend I followed the latest recipe to the letter but it was a bit too sweet for my tastes.  This weekend I've left out half the sugar, added an extra 1/2tsp. basil and oregano, an extra fat pinch of seasalt, and threw in a tsp. of fennel even though Aurelio's doesnt do that.  When I was in Chicago a couple weeks back we went to Aurelio's and focused on the sauce, and I think mine is missing either salt or acidity.  Maybe my dutch tomatoes are milder than those Aurelio's uses.  If the pinch of salt doesn't make it a bit more snappy I'll play with adding a small quantity of citric acid crystals next weekend.  But I have my fingers crossed that it comes out perfect this time!

Try this sauce recipe from another Aurelio's thread:

Aurelio's Sauce
28 oz Classico purée (or peeled ground if not available)
1/2 Tbs salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil