Author Topic: Dough Recipe for MPO  (Read 8833 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Dough Recipe for MPO
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »
I need to help to improve my one hour dough recipe for my Mighty Pizza Oven.

Peter and Craig have shared their recipes,

King Arthur Bread Flour (100%):
Water (62%):
ADY (1%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (2%):
Total (167%):
Single Ball:
405.59 g  |  14.31 oz | 0.89 lbs
251.46 g  |  8.87 oz | 0.55 lbs
4.06 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.07 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
8.11 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.45 tsp | 0.48 tbsp
8.11 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.8 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
677.33 g | 23.89 oz | 1.49 lbs | TF = 0.09
338.67 g | 11.95 oz | 0.75 lbs

Picking a dough for this oven was somewhat a shot in the dark. I settled in on a dough that was quite a departure from my normal dough while still retaining some of my signature:

100% KABF
64% water (effective ~67% hydration)
7.5% Ischia culture
2.5% salt
2.0% shortening (HT Chau)

16 hours at 60F bulk + 6 hours 60F balls + 4 hours 77F balls (14” pies, 370g balls)

Mostlikely, MPO potential users are like me, looking for something quick, simple measumrent and can't plan ahead.

My current recipe:

3 1/2 cup Flour
1 1/4 cup Water
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Dried Yeast
1 Table spoon Olive Oil.
1 Teaspoon of sugar sometime I use honey or Agave nectar

I usually make three pies.

On another thread, they replace water for beer... I wonder amount of alcohol will remain in the flour...

Any input will be great.
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Dough Recipe for MPO
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
Please excuse my writing.
Bert,

parallei

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
MPO,

Here's your dough in Baker's %'s.  You can compare it to what others are doing.....

Flour           100.0   %
Water          68.0   %
Salt               1.1%
IDY               0.6%
Oil               3.1%
Sugar               0.9%

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »
I am using ADY for my hour dough,  I will try to match Peter recipe.

I need to refine my recipe using measuring spoons and cups.

For one hour dough, will I get beter dough if used Ischia culture instead of ADY?

What is shortening (HT Chau)?

Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:54:08 AM »
I am using ADY for my hour dough,  I will try to match Peter recipe.

For one hour dough, will I get beter dough if used Ischia culture instead of ADY?

What is shortening (HT Chau)?

You don't want to mess with sourdough (such as Ischia) for this. It adds way too much complexity for your typical user. The results will be just as good with ADY.

The shortening I used was Crisco. HT Chau means Hat Tip to Chau as he is the one who pioneered using shortening for NY-style pizza. Olive oil is probably easier to work with and probably more likely to be in the pantry of your target customer.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »

If you are not aware of it, this is a good tool for converting weights to volumes:

http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »
Thanks
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »
I tried the MPO again for lunch today with a formula that would be a little more accessible to your typical customer.

KABP  550g (3.5 - 4.3C depending on how you measure it.)
Water 363g (66%, a little more than 1.5C)
Salt 14g (2.5%, a scant 1Tbs)
evoo 11g (2%, 1Tbs)
ADY 1/2tsp (0.3%)

3/300g balls with just a tiny bit left over (it would be exact if there was any bowl residue).

After mixing and kneading the dough, I put it into an oiled container, covered with plastic wrap, and it went into the fridge for 17 hours (24 would have been fine). I then balled the dough and let it rest in plastic containers for 4 hours at 77F. It was nicely risen at this point.

I opened the balls to 14” and they baked to 13”. I’d tell people to make 13” pies so they are not trying to land a 14” pie on a 14” stone – at least not right off the bat.

I let the MPO pre-heat for about 40 minutes. The thermometer was up to about 950F, and the stone was about 675. I think that is about right.

The pies were really good. They had a nice crunch and better flavor than I expected.

Lots more pictures here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20334.msg200768.html#msg200768

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »
I agree with Craig that one would want to use a better dough than an emergency dough. The main value of an emergency dough is that it only takes a couple of hours to make, so for testing purposes it serves a purpose. But Craig's dough formulation is along the lines that one might want to use to make a highly edible pizza.

Peter

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
Craig, these pies looks great..But the one you made with SourDough yeast looked even greater.

My wife and I work full time, planning on what to eat everyday for our kids has been a challenge. I see one hour dough (emergency dough) in my future for a long time.

Basically the more time you are willing to invest in your dough the better the taste.

I see having multiple dough recipe depending on the occasion.
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
I tried two dough recipe over the weekend. Once cold rise and one fast rise.

Cold Rise:

King Arthur Bread Flour    3 1/2 cup
Water              1 1/2 cup
Salt             1 Tbs
Olive Oil         1 Tbs
ADY             1/2 Tsp

After mixing and kneading the dough, I put it into an oiled container, covered with plastic wrap, and placed it into the fridge for 13.5 hours. Then balled the dough into 3 balls and let it rest in plastic containers for 4 hours at room temperature.

Fast Rise:

Same recipe as above except I used 1 Tsp ADY. 

In making the dough, Mixed the salt and oil with the flour into a bowl. I took 1/4 cup of the total formula water, at around 100 degrees F, and rehydrated the ADY in it for about 10 minutes. I then heated the remaining water to around 120 degrees F .

I mixed rehydrated ADY with flour first than poured remaining into the bowl. After mixing and kneading by hand. I divided it into three pieces.

I put the each dough balls (coated with oil) in a sealed container at room temperature. It took about 2 hours to double in size.

I made “margherita” pie form the cold rise dough and peporonie pie from the fast rise dough.

The cold rise dough had a nice puffy rim, fast rise dough didn't.

Both dough were easy to stretch and didn't tear.

I will post my sauce recipe later, it was a bit watery.

I like the cold rise better, but the rim crust was a bit bland without the sauce. I will try to add more salt to the recipe next time or garlic powder.

Any recommnedation on how to improve dough taste othe than let it fermenting longer or using sour dough yeast?
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »

Cold Rise:

King Arthur Bread Flour    3 1/2 cup
Water              1 1/2 cup
Salt             1 Tbs
Olive Oil         1 Tbs
ADY             1/2 Tsp

After mixing and kneading the dough, I put it into an oiled container, covered with plastic wrap, and placed it into the fridge for 13.5 hours. Then balled the dough into 3 balls and let it rest in plastic containers for 4 hours at room temperature.

I Changed salt amount to 1.5 Tbs and added 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder, the dough had a salty after taste. Next weekend I will try just adding garlic powder and keep salt at 1 TBS. The dough sat in in the fridge for over 48 hours. Pizza Dough definetly was best I ever Had.

Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Beautiful Bert! They look absolutely fantastic. What was the bake time and temp?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
Thanks Craig, not as nice as the one you did...still lots of room for improvement. This week, I used a thiner bottom stone (12mm). I didn't keep track of the time; I think it was close to 4 minutes, stone temperature was about 630. My second pie bottom was more charred than the first one, I didn't measure the temperature, I had to turn the heat down for my third pie, I didn't put enough flour on the wood peel, so it got stuck, and came out with funky shape...
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
Thanks Craig, not as nice as the one you did

I don't know... they look really nice.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »
Those last 2 48hr. dough pies look mighty fine Bert.
Along time ago I used to get pizza from a place that added garlic powder to their dough a little goes a long ways though....I liked that pizza, seemed to go especially well with a cold beer.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
Thanks Bob, 1/2 tea spoon garlic was just about right.  I still need to work on my same day dough.
Bert,

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:17 PM »
Those last two pies look outstanding Bert! Nice browning and I especially like the way the crumb is filled with lots of medium sized bubbles. Two questions, did those bulk rise for the 48h then ball for 4hrs?  And do you ball them with the dough cold or let it come up to room temp first?
Michael

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
Two questions, did those bulk rise for the 48h then ball for 4hrs?  And do you ball them with the dough cold or let it come up to room temp first?

Thanks Micheal, I did bulk rise for over 48 hours, and ball them into 3 balls with the dough cold, and let each dough ball rest in plastic container for 4 hours at room temperature. I did one thing different this time, I  sprayed each ball with olive oil non  stick spray can to prevent the dough from sticking to plastic container.
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »
I made my best pizza ever yesterday...Here is my final recipe for cold rise dough.

King Arthur Bread Flour       3 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup while kneading
Water                       1 1/2 cup
Salt                      1 Tbs
Olive Oil                  1 Tbs
Garlic Powder                   1/2 Tsp
ADY                      1/2 Tsp

After mixing and kneading the dough, I put it into an oiled container, covered with plastic wrap, and placed it into the fridge for at least 48 hours (this week batch I left in the fridge for over 60 hours). Then balled the dough into 3 balls and let it rest in plastic containers for 4 hours at room temperature.

The crust shell was crispy and tasted great... I wish I can describe it better. Here are few photo of the first two pies, I messed up my third pie...It is becoming a trend for the past couple of weeks. I had left over for lunch at work today...
Bert,

pizzapan