Author Topic: Dough Recipe for MPO  (Read 7684 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Dough Recipe for MPO
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
Just one more photo in higher resolution.
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »
Those look great Bert, top, bottom, and crumb. Very nice.

One suggestion, if you are going to measure by volume, tell specifically how you measure the flour. The method used can vary the weight of the flour in the recipe by as much as 25%.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:42 PM »
Bert, they really do look good.  Probably 99% better than anything in Houston proper.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »
That crumb shot is puuurdy man....really nice work there. Bet you are feeling inspired huh?  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »
Craig, Gene, Bob comments like these definetly inspire me to do better. It is amazing how a simple tip can whole lots of difference.

Hopefully I can be consistentent... I like to stay with volume mesurment since it is easier for mojority of my potentila customers. I will add an instruction regarding mesuring.

I think I am close on my fast rise recipe...

With my new grill, I am using 2 burners with a total of 25000 btu... Baking time has been between close to 5 minutes.
Bert,

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
I like to stay with volume mesurment since it is easier for mojority of my potentila customers.

Really? You think so?

You're saying you think people who are willing to give up a few hundred dollars for something that only has one purpose and takes skill and knowledge to operate would not be willing to give up $30 for something that constitutes part of that skill and knowledge. I don't think so. If I put myself in the shoes of your target customer, I see myself as someone who wants to learn how to do it right. This isn't something I'm just going to have sitting around in the kitchen unused, looking pretty, like most people's KitchenAid.

To me this is something an aspiring pizzamaker purchases after they've already bought a scale but before they get serious enough to think about making their own MPO-like device. Especially if they're using pizzamaking.com as their primary guide to learning how to make pizza, which they probably are.

And what's the obligatory response on these boards every time some new kid shows up asking how to improve their [volumetric] recipe? We all say it: "You need to get a scale." And I think most of the new kids take us seriously when we say that.

So obviously I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the quoted text. Volumetric measurement is not easier; not for the majority of your potential customers and not for anyone. Volumetric measurement is only easier for people who are too lazy to try hard enough to do it right, and I really doubt that those people are your target market.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
One more thing: I would be in your target market if I had any money. I'd love to have one of these things, but I don't even have the money to buy materials to make one for myself. That's a big reason why if you look at any of my recent pictures, you see me baking on a grill with no mods; just a grill and a stone (with foil underneath it).

And I think a lot of your target market consists of people like me, who are very experienced pizzamakers but who, for whatever reason, are unable to make something like this for themselves.

buceriasdon

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »
100% people I know (except the one on this forum) know nothing about bakers percent... or even own a scale... using volume measurement is convenient I wouldn't say it is lazy...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
I don't own a scale, I am satisfied using my measuring spoons... my statement is based on my own observations of the people around me.. ...I do appreciate your input... we don't have to agree on everything.
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
Not much more work on your part to call out both weight and volume.

Agree,
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
Really? You think so?

You're saying you think people who are willing to give up a few hundred dollars for something that only has one purpose and takes skill and knowledge to operate would not be willing to give up $30 for something that constitutes part of that skill and knowledge. I don't think so. If I put myself in the shoes of your target customer, I see myself as someone who wants to learn how to do it right. This isn't something I'm just going to have sitting around in the kitchen unused, looking pretty, like most people's KitchenAid.

To me this is something an aspiring pizzamaker purchases after they've already bought a scale but before they get serious enough to think about making their own MPO-like device. Especially if they're using pizzamaking.com as their primary guide to learning how to make pizza, which they probably are.

And what's the obligatory response on these boards every time some new kid shows up asking how to improve their [volumetric] recipe? We all say it: "You need to get a scale." And I think most of the new kids take us seriously when we say that.

So obviously I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the quoted text. Volumetric measurement is not easier; not for the majority of your potential customers and not for anyone. Volumetric measurement is only easier for people who are too lazy to try hard enough to do it right, and I really doubt that those people are your target market.
I completely agree with Ryan on this one. I am now so used to bakers % recipes that I just move on when someone asks for help if they post in volume. I just can't equate it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this.
Don't think I would want to limit myself, especially if I were in Bert's situation...

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
Bob, I am not disagreeing with posting the recipe in weight / bakers %... I think majority of my potential customers (probably never made pizza before) would prefer using volume measurement, and most likely they have measuring spoons rather than a scale.
Bert,

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
Anymore, when I look at recipes for baking or dough, if the measurements are only volume with no weights given, I move on.  To me, it implies an inferior recipe because I know it's imprecise, so I won't waste my time trying it.  Plus weighing is so much easier and less messy than dealing with cups and spoons, so that's another reason not to bother with a volume-only recipe. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »
Bob, I am not disagreeing with posting the recipe in weight / bakers %... I think majority of my potential customers (probably never made pizza before) would prefer using volume measurement, and most likely they have measuring spoons rather than a scale.
I don't know Bert...Ryan seems to make a pretty good argument that you will be addressing a bit more of a sophisticated crowd.
This could actually possibly turn in your favor. By starting your instruction booklet(or whatever you intend to do)out right from the start with a little tutorial about weight measuring  this might help to catch the eye of people who are more serious about outdoor pizza making. If done correctly and you still give a choice then I don't see what it would hurt if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:08:06 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »
I agree with Ryan and Bob, the people most likely to buy this product are serious pizzamakers. The results look great, could someone tell me where i could read about what it actually is? Is it an insert for an outdoor grill? Or a stand alone oven? Is this something i can make or buy ive tried searching but im still vague
Jamie

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »
Anymore, when I look at recipes for baking or dough, if the measurements are only volume with no weights given, I move on.  To me, it implies an inferior recipe because I know it's imprecise, so I won't waste my time trying it.  Plus weighing is so much easier and less messy than dealing with cups and spoons, so that's another reason not to bother with a volume-only recipe. 

that's how I think also-- from the recipe to the ease

I am a real life potential customer and for me - if volume only I won't even look at the recipe and will find another or develop one,  if both volume and weights - I will look at the recipe and decide if I think it's worth making  (Bert - I have not looked at where you are in your recipe and not discounting it, I am talking generally and that last pizza looks great  :D).  While I want the weights - I do agree with Bert in that there is need for the volume measurements - there is a population that will buy his product that do not own or intend to own scale, Craig's suggestion of explaining how you measure will help you so that your customers have a better chance of replicating what you are doing.   Bert mentioned that he wasn't opposed to both - I think this is the best way to go to catch everyone. 

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
100% people I know (except the one on this forum) know nothing about bakers percent... or even own a scale... using volume measurement is convenient I wouldn't say it is lazy...

How much pizza do the people you know make?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
Deb, That's correct, I am not opposing to both...With little instruction the recipe can be consistent every time using volume measurment. The recipe is inteded for MPO (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19893.0.html) as a starting point... individuals can modify it to their own taste...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »
How much pizza do the people you know make?

very few...
Bert,