Author Topic: Dough Recipe for MPO  (Read 8344 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Dough Recipe for MPO
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
the baker scale looks it can measure down to 2 decimal points and it is not much more expensive.
Bert,
I have that scale and the 2 decimal points are for oz....gram is only whole numbers.
To be honest, I never even use the "Bakers" feature..these scales turn themselves off too quickly, IMO, an you loose the data. Also, I had to buy an additional scale for the small gram weight stuff.
I looked at Craig's link and wish I had seen that before I bought my scales.... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »

And
That shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Peter.

I have that scale and the 2 decimal points are for oz....gram is only whole numbers.
To be honest, I never even use the "Bakers" feature..these scales turn themselves off too quickly, IMO, an you loose the data.

Thanks for sharing, Before I go with the one that Craig has. Do I need 2 decimal acuracy for grams?
Bert,

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
As I understand it, the target market is people who will spend a lot of money on a grill and like nice toys - the type of people who shop at places like frontgate.com. The target market by-and-large consider themselves good cooks (at least outdoors), but that does not mean they use a scale; they probably don't bake much if any. They probably have all sorts of nice cookbooks. If they like pizza, maybe they have the A16 cookbook which like just about all the others gives volumetric measurements only. The vast majority of people simply don't scale ingredients. Look how many people come here having never used a scale for making pizza - sure many learn better once they get here, but they have to get here first.

I know what you're saying, Craig, and you're probably right in a lot of ways. In fact, you're talking about someone I know.

But take a trip back in time, to when you first started using a scale and bakers' percents, or when you first understood how much better and easier it was to use a scale instead of measuring cups.

It was a revelation, right?

Knowing what you know now, is there any reason why you would ever choose to measure your dough ingredients by volume rather than weight, as long as you have a scale available to use? How about everyone else? Would y'all ever choose to make pizza dough without a scale if you had one available?

Why or why not?

Similarly, would you put cornmeal in your deep dish dough? Or would you tell someone they should put cornmeal in their deep dish dough? Why or why not? It's almost the same thing.

Regular people need to know that the way they measure ingredients for baked goods is a bad way of measuring, and that it takes more work only to achieve less precise results. But they're never going to know if people like us keep letting it slide.

We can tell them how to do it the right way or we can tell them how to do it the wrong way. If we keep telling them the wrong way, even though we would never consider going back to doing it the wrong way ourselves, they're never gonna learn, and we will have passed on a chance to give them something valuable that no one else will give them.

Bert, please go buy a scale and experience the revelation.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
I hope you guys don't mind...I will use some of the detail used in these posts in my FAQ... I will reference pizzamaking.com ... Is this ok???

Please do. We're here to help, man. Most of us give away our most precious secrects every day on these boards, to anyone who wants them. The way I see it, everything we say here is in the public domain.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
Please do. We're here to help, man. Most of us give away our most precious secrects every day on these boards, to anyone who wants them. The way I see it, everything we say here is in the public domain.

What a few I could name would consider "precious secrets".  We, in return, consider them "selfish, paranoid a$$holes". Just sayin.   (>:D  vs. :angel:)  

The info shared here helps us all.  Pizza Libre!!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:56:55 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
And then they disappear, presumably off to rule the pizza world.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
Th
And then they disappear, presumably off to rule the pizza world.
They disappear in the  :pizza: black hole... You can't escape its power... once you are traped you can't get away....

Thank you all ... Great stuff.
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »
Trapped behind knowledge.... :-D
Whooo boy!!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
Trapped behind knowledge.... :-D

Exactly! That's precisely who I was thinking of as I wrote my previous post. Is that guy still around?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
Nope...not to my knowledge  :'(...another victim of the  :pizza: black hole I imagine...poor fella, I kinda liked him.  >:D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »
The MPO needs to be in one of those "Sky" magazines in airplanes.  To bad the old Sharper Image bit the dust.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »
Years back, I looked into the cost of "Sky" magazines advertising... It was like 4 to 5K, I don't remember the details.

I need to work on MPO facebook this weekend and try to build some fanbase before kikstarter.
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2012, 11:05:48 PM »
Knowing what you know now, is there any reason why you would ever choose to measure your dough ingredients by volume rather than weight, as long as you have a scale available to use?

No. I wouldn't even consider it. I now what you're saying, and in many ways you are absolutely right. I'm only trying to give my opinion of what will be most valuable to Bert's target customer - NOT what I think is best. It's a shame it has to be that way, but it is.

I think the piece you are missing is that we are geeky here, and being around so many people just like us, we can easily lose sight of the fact that we are a very very tiny minority of the home pizza makers.

Several of us here also hang out at Slice, and I can tell you that there is some resentment against pizzamaking.com over there because we are so deep in the weeds of pizza making, and many there like it simple and not told what is best. I think Slice is more representative of his target customer that pizzamaking.com.

I absolutely agree that weight measurements should be included, but I maintain that the key to his success is to show people how to make a great pie with volumetric measurements because this is where his customers live.

I think pointing them here is a great idea. Those that want to take it to the next level can come here and get all the help they need. Many won't, and they will need to be able to make a great pie too. I think he should probably start a MPO blog where people can share recipes and successes. There is so much opportunity here, but he can't be everything to everyone, nor can he position himself such that his success requires converting his customers to pizza geeks. That would be a disaster, IMHO.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:32 PM »
Bert,
At your recently stated price point for the MPO are you still going to be able to offer the unit as it looks(quite attractive) here on these pages?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
Bert,
At your recently stated price point for the MPO are you still going to be able to offer the unit as it looks(quite attractive) here on these pages?

The price point is kinda irrelevant (sorta); as are the looks, the MPO with instuctions will help newbies get a leg up pretty fast, compared to the other options available.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »
The price point is kinda irrelevant (sorta); as are the looks, the MPO with instuctions will help newbies get a leg up pretty fast, compared to the other options available.
Price is EVERYTHING according to most folks pocket books.Bert has been presenting a very handsome all $tainless steel unit that not long ago , on his build thread, was purported to be possibly needing to come in at the mid to upper $300 range.
Instructions are nice....and it will be an added benefit  if this new lower price will still include the original look...capeesh?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
...capeesh?

Bob I sent you the Summit t-shirt.  You are putting in just over 500 post per month, at this rate you will surpass every newby to the Nth degree. Steve might even grant you a moderator cap.  Capeesh.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2012, 01:37:35 AM »
 ;D  Well dang..I'm glad someone is keeping score here!  ??? Thank you for the vote of confidence, Gene, but I'm not sure if the forum is quite ready for me to don the responsibility cap jus yet..but one never is crystal clear about ones potential...right? You are a good guy, so at least I know I'll always be grateful for any favorable word, on my behalf, that you may give to Steve...
Grazie ancora friend...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2012, 07:51:03 AM »
Several of us here also hang out at Slice, and I can tell you that there is some resentment against pizzamaking.com over there because we are so deep in the weeds of pizza making, and many there like it simple and not told what is best.

I don't often visit Slice because I already have my hands full just keeping up with the activity on this forum (I will have some interesting statistics in a few days), but "pizza looking" and "pizza eating" are a lot different than "pizza making". With pizza making, you very often spend a lot of time in the weeds. That is home to me. What eventually matters is what you end up when you come out of the wilderness. We may be dragging Bert kicking and screaming into the weeds but when he ultimately emerges from the wilderness, I think he will be all the better for it.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »
We may be dragging Bert kicking and screaming into the weeds but when he ultimately emerges from the wilderness, I think he will be all the better for it.

Yes. That's why I was thinking this is a great thread just before I read your post. (Unless you're saying we really should gang up and abduct him.)

pizzapan