Author Topic: San Marzano Tomatoes Pizza Sauce Recipe  (Read 24195 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
San Marzano Tomatoes Pizza Sauce Recipe
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
Has anyone tried either of these recipes? Looks very interesting. I would love to hear anyone's feedback. Thank you in advance.

TomN

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_sauce_recipe.html

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: San Marzano Tomatoes Pizza Sauce Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
TomN, I use San Marzano DOP all the time, perhaps a different grower.
I like to heat onion and garlic until onion is wilted, add hand crushed, or squished, tomatoes and season with EVOO, a bit of red vino and occasionally other herbs, both fresh and dried as soots the mood. The tomatoes are good all buy themselves however and the 1st recipe gives a good opportunity to taste the tomato.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
When I use San Marzanos, I rarely add anything to them. When I do add something, it may be a tiny bit of salt and/or basil and/or garlic, but that's about it. San Marzanos usually taste so good straight out of the can. Why ruin them?

I used to use San Marzanos almost exclusively, but I've started using other products for various reasons. Here are some of my reasons:

• I want to learn how to make good sauce without using the best tomato products available;
  • San Marzanos cost a lot more than everything else;
  • With San Marzanos (or any whole tomato), I almost always have to drain several ounces of water per 28-oz can;
  • I've spent a lot of time trying to clone a particular pizzeria's pizza, and they don't use San Marzanos;
  • If I owned or operated a pizzeria (which is probably what I'm supposed to do with my life), San Marzanos would not be very practical because they take a lot of extra labor to process. Also, I'd be paying a lot of extra money for the shipment of a lot of unwanted water with every can. That's just stupid unless you're able to sell the pizza at very high prices, which is something I wouldn't want to do. I'd rather have an inclusive pizzeria than an exclusive one.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
I use the American san marzanos in the white can, and find that draining is not necessary.  A little smash, some fresh basil, a pinch of dried garlic, a pinch of sugar, and just a touch of dried oregano is good for me.  Sometimes I do just the tomatoes with a little basil on top and some fresh mozz. 
I used red pack for awhile, because of the cheap price, but I found them to be more watery.  than the SMs.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
I use the American san marzanos in the white can, and find that draining is not necessary.  A little smash, some fresh basil, a pinch of dried garlic, a pinch of sugar, and just a touch of dried oregano is good for me.  Sometimes I do just the tomatoes with a little basil on top and some fresh mozz. 

I use those on my Chi DD...but they are pricey. It's not like I'm making one every day (wish I could) so I pay the price.
Still trying to find Classico pear strips in my area...people here have said they are pretty good....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
I use the American san marzanos in the white can...

Those are not San Marzanos. They are just regular tomatoes that are labeled "San Marzano."

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »
Those are not San Marzanos. They are just regular tomatoes that are labeled "San Marzano."

Ryan,

If the tomatoes are the ones shown at http://www.cybercucina.com/ccdocs/products/SM5012.html, they are grown in the U.S. from seeds of the San Marzano varietal.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
Ryan,

If the tomatoes are the ones shown at http://www.cybercucina.com/ccdocs/products/SM5012.html, they are grown in the U.S. from seeds of the San Marzano varietal.

Peter
All recently discussed. Yes, they are pricey look a likes....taste good and consistent quality though (from my experience that goes back 'bout 10 yrs, w/ this product)

Very similar in taste and price as the Cento DOP

Offline mykall

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »
I don't know why this board seems at times to have such a negative opinion of the US grown San-Marzis.  I've heard things like "fraud" and "imposter"... "faker" and "not real".   If the tomatoes can fulfill who the hell cares?  I judge everything on performance not reputation.  I'm going to pick up another can of these and judge for myself.  I'll be the first to say that for a Chi DD, there are no 'maters available that can top  6-in-1 in my opinion REGARDLESS of where they were grown/came from.  Period!  This is not true IMHO of thin pies and I'll judge on performance, but for the life of us let's not get into this reputation thing.  It's just plain silly.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
Give me the Cento Italian all day long. $2 and some change for 35oz and great taste - can't be beat.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »
I don't know why this board seems at times to have such a negative opinion of the US grown San-Marzis.  I've heard things like "fraud" and "imposter"... "faker" and "not real".   If the tomatoes can fulfill who the hell cares?  I judge everything on performance not reputation.  I'm going to pick up another can of these and judge for myself.

It's not negative; it's just a matter of fact. If they're grown in the United States, they're not San Marzanos. Would you prefer to be misled into believing that things are what they are not?

I don't know why this board seems to have such a negative opinion of New York style pizza that's baked in a pan with dough that contains 25% oil and has cheese under the sauce. I've heard things like "fraud" and "imposter"... "faker" and "not real". If the pizza can fulfill who the hell cares? I judge everything on performance not reputation. I'm going to pick up another pizza at Malnati's and judge for myself.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »
Craig.
I can't get your 35oz Cento's locally so I'm going to order a case on Amazon/ The delivered(free) price is $31...that's great. They also have a "certified" 28oz can, 12 to a case $55.
Do you think this is probably the same tomato in that can? Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Marzano-Certified-Tomatoes-28-Ounce/dp/B002C4HZ00/?tag=pizzamaking-20

edit: wow. I jus checked an one of the places selling the "certs" want $90 plus $25 for shipping per case of 28 oz'ers....CrAzY!!   :o

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »
Oxymoron

I don't think so. Isn't San Marzano also a variety?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Craig.
I can't get your 35oz Cento's locally so I'm going to order a case on Amazon/ The delivered(free) price is $31...that's great. They also have a "certified" 28oz can, 12 to a case $55.
Do you think this is probably the same tomato in that can? Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Marzano-Certified-Tomatoes-28-Ounce/dp/B002C4HZ00/?tag=pizzamaking-20

edit: wow. I jus checked an one of the places selling the "certs" want $90 plus $25 for shipping per case of 28 oz'ers....CrAzY!!   :o

I don't know if the certs are the same or not, but I like the Italian better - and they are less $$$! How often does that happen?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
I don't think so. Isn't San Marzano also a variety?
Yes, of course. But in the context of mykall"s complaint, the "San Marzano's" in question on the thread he is relating the "bad rap" came from....on that thread they were comparing the US grown versus the Italian ones I believe. That is why others were trying to say they are not "real" "San Marzanos". Hence, US grown tomato's in a (can) cannot contain tomato's grown in Italy...oxymoron.

Offline mykall

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
It's not negative; it's just a matter of fact. If they're grown in the United States, they're not San Marzanos. Would you prefer to be misled into believing that things are what they are not?

If they're from San Marzano seeds and grown in the USA, what would you like them to be called?   I've got it...I've got it...I've got a name for these....."From San Marzano seeds and Grown in the USA which means they can't be officially called San Marzano by someone's rules so we'll make up some name to satisfy these people and ridicule them all the while many think they're pretty good tomatoes"  tomatoes.   How's that?  And good luck fitting that on the can's label :-D.    Fuss all you want over these silly "purity" rules, I just don't have time for, or buy, this.  I'll judge on the product.  Capiche..??   

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
If they're from San Marzano seeds and grown in the USA, what would you like them to be called?

Plum tomatoes, I guess. San Marzanos are San Marzanos because they're grown in volcanic soil that's much different than the soil in California. San Marzanos are San Marzanos because they must be harvested by hand (because they're not all ready to harvest at the same time, which rules out using machinery to harvest them). How much of a difference does that make? I have no idea, but I'm sure it makes some kind of difference. And different things are not the same thing.

It's kinda like calling Papa John's NY style.

Offline mykall

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 01:32:23 AM »
Plum tomatoes, I guess. San Marzanos are San Marzanos because they're grown in volcanic soil that's much different than the soil in California. San Marzanos are San Marzanos because they must be harvested by hand (because they're not all ready to harvest at the same time, which rules out using machinery to harvest them). How much of a difference does that make? I have no idea, but I'm sure it makes some kind of difference. And different things are not the same thing.

It's kinda like calling Papa John's NY style.

San Marzanos are San Marzonos because they're a type of tomato grown from a certain seed.  "Plum tomatoes" could include hundreds of different varieties not harvested from "San Marzano" seeds.  I'm fine with that.  Roma pear tomatoes fit that category.  So do the tomatoes that 6-in-1 harvests  and ditto for Stanislaus.  But to say that seeds from a certain variety of tomato grown outside it's home can't identify itself as the same variety because of STUPID "purity rules" is flat plain ridiculous. Let the end users be the judge of that.  Tell them where they're grown and let the consumer decide. 

FTR...Pappa John told the public that he had tomatoes grown for his particular pies and was sued.  He lost that suit.   No comparison.  None whatsoever!