Author Topic: San Marzano Tomatoes Pizza Sauce Recipe  (Read 25999 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: San Marzano Tomatoes Pizza Sauce Recipe
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the head up on how I need to explain the Vidalia next time about how growing in Georgia makes a difference. I agree with the statement that if it tastes good and you like it use it, but I like using items that are regional sometimes and if nothing else making myself think it tastes different. I need to get some Texas 1015's and put em up against my Vidalia's I always use or our garden onions. Our garden must have low sulfur soil or something, because ours are as sweet as any Vidalia I've bought at Whole Foods. Guess I need to find a way to get our soil tested for the sulfur content.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:14 PM »
Our garden must have low sulfur soil or something, because ours are as sweet as any Vidalia I've bought at Whole Foods. Guess I need to find a way to get our soil tested for the sulfur content.

Does it really matter what your soil sulfur content is? It seems to be working for you...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 05:48:18 AM »
LOL yeah, curiosity gets me though. That biology/chemistry minor always has me interested in stuff like that.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline The Slice

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
I gotta stir the pot on this one. I learned this on here but I would never be able to find the thread. With the centos, you have to look at the barcode. The barcode will tell you where in Italy the tomatoes were grown. If you see ROA on the barcode than that means that the tomatoes were grown in san marzano italy. The irony to all of this is that the cento san marzano tomatoes are not grown in san marzano italy because they do not have the ROA. However, the cento pomodoros are grown in san marzano italy but of course are not san marzano tomatoes. I prefer the ROA poms myself.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
I gotta stir the pot on this one. I learned this on here but I would never be able to find the thread. With the centos, you have to look at the barcode. The barcode will tell you where in Italy the tomatoes were grown. If you see ROA on the barcode than that means that the tomatoes were grown in san marzano italy. The irony to all of this is that the cento san marzano tomatoes are not grown in san marzano italy because they do not have the ROA. However, the cento pomodoros are grown in san marzano italy but of course are not san marzano tomatoes. I prefer the ROA poms myself.

You want the Cento's that say ROA1 PELATI on the bottom of the can. All 6 cans of the 35oz Cento Italian tomatoes I have in my pantry have this printed on the bottom.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:04:24 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
You want the Cento's that say ROA1 PELATI on the bottom of the can. All 6 cans of the 35oz Cento Italian tomatoes I have in my pantry have this printed on the bottom.

I loked at a couple different stores today and all of the Cento Italian (35oz), DOP, and Organic all had ROA1 PELATI on the bottom of the can. The one can of Certified I found did not.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
In NC you pay more for the 28oz certified's(can't get the 35's) than Craig pays for his 35oz DOP cans.  ???
Going to have a talk with my grocery man... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 03:39:53 PM »
In NC you pay more for the 28oz certified's(can't get the 35's) than Craig pays for his 35oz DOP cans.  ???
Going to have a talk with my grocery man... ;)

The 28oz Certified were at least $1/can more than the 35oz Italian here too. The 35oz have never been DOP - just "Italian."
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Slice

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »
I loked at a couple different stores today and all of the Cento Italian (35oz), DOP, and Organic all had ROA1 PELATI on the bottom of the can. The one can of Certified I found did not.

Its the centos puzzle. Its pretty confusing. All people need to know tho is that if its got ROA on the barcode than it was in fact grown in san marzano italy. If it doesn't have ROA, than it was grown somewhere else in italy.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
Its the centos puzzle. Its pretty confusing. All people need to know tho is that if its got ROA on the barcode than it was in fact grown in san marzano italy. If it doesn't have ROA, than it was grown somewhere else in italy.
But does it really matter? I mean, do they taste/quality differ? I've been pretty happy with the "certified" label product but I want to know what to ask for when I go to talk with my grocer...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
The 28oz Certified were at least $1/can more than the 35oz Italian here too. The 35oz have never been DOP - just "Italian."
Oh..OK. The DOP here are 28oz also.
I'm think I got it now. Going to ask for 35oz "Italian". Thanks.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
I read this thread and understand the quality and unique connotation intended when someone recommends using authentic, Italian certified, San Marzano.  I know there is no comparison to the Georgia Vidallia from other locations promoting Vidallia/sweet onions.  Similar problem highlighted on 60 Minutes about French Truffles.

Having been using 6 in 1 and Bunto's, I want to try the authentic San Marzano's to see what they taste like.  Can you guys please give a link(s) to the best place to get a home user quantity to make sure they are the real deal?  I saw these La Valle at PennMac that seem to be DOP Italian SM, but at that price, I'm not sure.

I did see the Strianese at the earlier posting if that is the best place to get them.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »
Like anything else, the quality of DOP San Marzano tomatoes varies widely. I used a can of DOP Strainese tomatoes last weekend, and they couldnít hold a candle to a typical can of Cento Italian (35oz) Ė not even close. IMO, paying for DOP SMs is a waste of money. There are other, often much better, tomatoes available at a fraction of the cost.

Those La Valle SM tomatoes you pointed to are not DOP SMís. The La Valle DOP come in a green can and say DOP on the front label: http://www.pennmac.com/items/2626//la-valle-dop-san-marzano-tomatoes-28-oz Shipping on tomatoes is going to be expensive. You canít find any DOP SMs locally?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 12:51:52 AM »
I thought the taste of Gia Russa brand was good.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
Like anything else, the quality of DOP San Marzano tomatoes varies widely. I used a can of DOP Strainese tomatoes last weekend, and they couldnít hold a candle to a typical can of Cento Italian (35oz) Ė not even close. IMO, paying for DOP SMs is a waste of money. There are other, often much better, tomatoes available at a fraction of the cost.

Those La Valle SM tomatoes you pointed to are not DOP SMís. The La Valle DOP come in a green can and say DOP on the front label: http://www.pennmac.com/items/2626//la-valle-dop-san-marzano-tomatoes-28-oz Shipping on tomatoes is going to be expensive. You canít find any DOP SMs locally?

Craig, I am looking at our local groceries over the weekend.  Do you know which specific Cento Italian 35oz label you mentioned above?  (Being a novice, I don't know if they also have a quality diversity like you just showed me with the La Valle SM at PennMac.  Thank you!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »
There is only one Cento that comes in a 35oz can, the "Italian." it is very good in my experience.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline toyman

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »
Here's a link to some interesting info on San Marzano's.  http://www.sanmarzanotomatoes.org

The problem is that calling non-DOP San Marzano's, San Marzano's is that it is misleading.  As I got further into pizza, I wanted San Marzano's.  Initially it was based on price and I bought less expensive can's of San Marzano's, which I later found, much to my dismay, that they were not truly from the San Marzano region of Italy as I expected they were.  Anytime confusion is created in the marketplace, it can become an issue.  Those who only look topically into SM's may never try true (by the Italian definition) SM's, and that's an issue IMHO.  You can grow a plum/roma tomato and call them SM's if you want, but they are not, which is my opinion about American grown SM's.  If the tomato companies weren't trying to acheive sales from the SM name, they would make it very clear that they are not from the SM region instead of making it look like they are.  Why do they do it??  For sales, period, and it works. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
San Marzano is also a variety of tomato, so while it's potentially confusing, it's not necessarily misleading to label San Marzaro tomatoes as San Marzano even if they are not DOP.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline toyman

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
San Marzano is also a variety of tomato, so while it's potentially confusing, it's not necessarily misleading to label San Marzaro tomatoes as San Marzano even if they are not DOP.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the misleading portion.  If it didn't help sales, it wouldn't be done.  San Marzano's are known tomatoes, especially in the food industry.   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »
We'll have to agree to disagree on the misleading portion.  If it didn't help sales, it wouldn't be done.  San Marzano's are known tomatoes, especially in the food industry.   

A fact is a fact. Calling a San Marzano tomato a San Marzano tomato is not misleading. It is what it is. I don't disagree that is is done to help sales, but what isn't? That doesn't make it wrong or misleading.

If someone in the food industry can't figure out the difference between DOP and non-DOP SM's, tomato confusion is likely the least of their problems.
Pizza is not bread.