Author Topic: New York Times Review (8/7/12): Nicoletta, by Michael White  (Read 4026 times)

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
Re: New York Times Review (8/7/12): Nicoletta, by Michael White
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »
Apples and oranges. (Or apples and pizzas?)

Looks like I forgot a smily to indicate tongue-in-cheekiness.   ::)

Online TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
 Are these reviewers all eating at the same pizzaria?...... ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:47 AM »
Thanks, but I am not in Michael whites league.  I am a small town pizza guy that loves everything pizza!!

Larry, I guarantee you, if White had the humility to have za junior make Lorenzo's pizza and top it with his upscale toppings, the reviews would be an entirely different story.  You'd still have the urban xenophobia to midwestern culture that would need to be overcome, but breaking through that opposition would be FAR easier than what White is seeing now.

White might be one of the country's foremost Italian chefs, but you and za jr. are a thousand times better pizzamakers.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »
Just saying-  I would like to join you when you go  to Nicoletta been waiting since June  >:(  You will need a break after that fair. So hoping it works out this time  ;D see ya soon!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
Just read this post at slice which explains things a little better:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/08/nicoletta-review-michael-white.html?ref=pop_slice
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
I'm not so sure about that Kenji guy...seems like his tastes are locked in a NY "box" and he can't think (or taste) outside of it...,IMHO of course.  :D

enter8

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
 I wouldn't say Kenji is "locked" into NY. From what I've read he's quite big on Neapolitan as well as Pizza Bianca (in Rome) + other styles (tomato pie etc.)...although granted perhaps his tastes haven't ventured quite as far as Chitown yet ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:51:38 PM by enter8 »

scott123

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
I'm not so sure about that Kenji guy...seems like his tastes are locked in a NY "box" and he can't think (or taste) outside of it...,IMHO of course.  :D

Actually, Bob, that review is a perfect example of Kenji's ability to view Nicoletta through a different lens.  The concept that Nicoletta requires a different, less NY-centric perspective to appreciate it is something that I've been saying since the Time's review. From that perspective, Kenji knocked it out of the park.

I think that framing Nicoletta in a chain context misses the mark, though.  Kenji, in the comments, explained that he used the chain reference as a way of explaining Midwestern pizza to people that have never had it, but I don't think the word 'chain' deserves to be in any Nicoletta discussion. Maybe Kenji doesn't think 'chain' is pejorative, but I think it's a major slam.  That's how the first commenter reacted as well.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
I meant NY as in NYC...sorry. Ya know, like..".NY state of mind "(box)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:01:48 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
Hi All !
I had the pleasure of dining with The Za man and the entire Family at Nicoletta Tuesday night. A real treat indeed between the great people and what I thought was great pizza it was a fun filled 1 1/2 hours for sure !  Let me first say what a wonderful Family Larry has! to put together a trip to NYC to eat pizza catch a show and just get 9 people together in place is a feat in itself !  
Pizza Yes we ate pizza and almost one of everything else on the menu !! Salads, appetizers tampanade... It was all top shelf Chicken wings Lasagna  gnocci? ate so much I don't even remember 1/2 the dishes! wish i took a menu ! I did remember the Pizza for sure !
I am glad these critics NY or not, finally figured out the what Micheal was looking for was something different ! This is not a NY style pizza or  slice Joint ! The toppings and combinations are all top chef quality escarole, eggplant ricotta not your everyday street slice for sure. Personally I real enjoyed the pizza. Its great to have something different I eat so many NY style slices with the exception of pizza town and 1 or 2 others they all seem to just run together. This was a fresh Change. The Marsal Ovens more than do the trick and there is no sheeter anywhere all pies very gently hand spread and put on their own personal peel for launching. The pizza was fresh and topping tasty I immediately noticed the nice crisp bottom Micro blisters Scott! and the beautiful softness above it ! all with no pan or oil!! My favortie was also the calabrese with cupped pepperoni sausage with a nice kick and onions. Larry even treated me to one of these to go as mentioned it heated up beautiful a full day later on a 450 degree stone and had very little difference from eating at the restaurant . If you are in NYC by on 2nd between 10thand 11th GO TRY THIS PIZZA ! I don't think you will be disappointed I was surely not !
John
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:10:34 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
Sounds like they are still having some difficulties.

"What this opulence can't disguise, though, is an uneven crust. It's often dense and damp in places, fantastically inflated in others, sometimes charred and sometimes pale as a whitewashed fence. This crust is anathema to a pizza fanatic; it's like visiting a different pizzeria with every bite... I took another bite of that disappointing crust, and my mind went back to college: It tasted like the Tombstone frozen pizzas once served in Wisconsin bars and warmed in lightbulb cabinets."

http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-10-10/restaurants/badgering-the-pizza-at-nicoletta/
Pizza is not bread.