Author Topic: pizza at the fair  (Read 10152 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: pizza at the fair
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »
ok... so, take your choice...$6,$7or $8......we are not at your venue man. You have had so much knowledgeable extraneous input here that you have failed to even said thanks to that it makes me wonder how far this is supposed to go....I know you are a busy man, sir, stand careful to not get in over your head.....it's jus a fair, and like pizza....it's supposed to be jus fun... ;)
Come on Bob, that sounds a little harsh. I'm sure that Larry appreciates and values all of the input here or he wouldn't have bothered to ask. There have been good points for and against slices and Larry just brought up a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2012, 12:32:35 AM »
I'll throw in my .02: $10 per Marg pie is reasonable.  You could go higher for anything with meat. $10 is a good round number, and you are going to get a ton of 20's and 10's thrown at you.  Having to send someone to get more change is a serious problem.

Fair food is inflated because it is a tough business, and people will gladly pay your price, whatever it is.  My parents did craft shows for years, and festivals, fairs, shows, are a whole different world.  It's tough to get in and set up, and tough to keep it going all day, then come back and do it again the next day.  Be prepared going in, have someone offsite doing everything possible to support you, and try to get enough sleep that you're not passing out in front of the oven.  And CHARGE for the pain.  This is all expected!
Sorry if I sound like I'm not staying along for the ride on the all American ride on the fair bandstand folks....
The man adamantly stated TWO freak'in pages ago that he had it under control...contrary to the status quo information generously provided.  Got it folks? You are whispering upon dead/uncertain ears an ya can't realistically  contribute to that...start a new "fair ground tips an tricks" thread an call it a day...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »
I'm sorry Don.... but this was also discussed over 2 weeks ago and at that time too Larry strikes me as a real sucessful operator that is a bit flippant concerning the members attempts to help...  his bottom line seems to never coinside with sugested attempts so ...what's the point dude???

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2012, 12:58:42 AM »
I value my input...even if others sometimes don't.  There in lies the malady of one's right to choose....I, personally, like to be liked and trusted, therefore I always choose to NOT be disingenuous ....and if, after re-reading a thread that I am stating some facts that don't sound right to you....I encourage you to help me see the light. Concerning this particular thread (and the other one he had going 2 weeks ago).....I'm jus stating "when is enough?"

Offline petef

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2012, 03:37:04 AM »
Sorry if I sound like I'm not staying along for the ride on the all American ride on the fair bandstand folks....
The man adamantly stated TWO freak'in pages ago that he had it under control...contrary to the status quo information generously provided.  Got it folks? You are whispering upon dead/uncertain ears an ya can't realistically  contribute to that...start a new "fair ground tips an tricks" thread an call it a day...

Bob, I understand your point, but that's ok if the person (original poster) doesn't take the advice. We are creating a useful thread here for other people to read now and into the future. Anyone considering selling pizza will have a wealth of info to draw upon. Plus it's just fun discussing these things. :)

---pete---

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2012, 08:25:19 AM »
Bob, I understand your point, but that's ok if the person (original poster) doesn't take the advice. We are creating a useful thread here for other people to read now and into the future. Anyone considering selling pizza will have a wealth of info to draw upon. Plus it's just fun discussing these things. :)

---pete---

Yes Pete, you are right...it is fun to discuss these things and the discussions do in fact add to our forums knowledge base.
I'm not sorry for my rant though. Call me crazy if you must, but it's just that lately I have been taking more interest in this site and I do notice that a few of the more popular members start or become involved in a thread and become a bit selective to whom they choose to respond to/acknowledge.I know all about how some topics can have a different pulse rate than others so don't even go there.
 The number of posts you have or the length of time you have been here does not give license to ignore the little guy....I mean ,  'cmon man...that is the core/essence of what this is all about, right? If you are jaded then take a rest.  This is a very classy site and sometimes people need to take a step back or take a deep breath an slow the heck down and just be friendly to all and remember where you come from...
 A lot of good info here(entire site) gets tossed to the wayside due to impatience....that there is a powerful , true statement my friends....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:30:35 AM by Chicago Bob »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
Bob,

I have personally met Larry and he is the nicest and friendliest man that anyone can meet.  Just in my opinion it is his option about what he wants to do for the fair.  It is hard to know what to do the first time you go to an event like that.  Fairs are very long hard days, one right after the other.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
Norma,
I know who Larry is and I couldn't agree with you more about his character and it's unfortunate that I picked this time to say what I feel I guess.....but I stand by what I say and if you really look at it...I was really  speaking "as a whole" rather than signalling out one individual ...

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »
Personally, Bob, I don't see what you're so upset about. If you don't like the way a thread is going, just stay out of it.(I should take my own advice) Why start dropping bombs on people over nothing? Not a good way to make friends, IMO.
 Larry is such a nice guy that I'm sure he'd be happy to accept your apology.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2012, 10:51:19 AM »
Steve,
As I already indicated in my reply # 107 I do regret having chosen this particular thread to voice my opinion about a legitimate concern.
If you choose to have a knee jerk reaction , because your friend is mentioned , then that only highlights exactly what it is I am actually talking about....please take the time to read my substance before you condemn me my friend. I don't talk just because I like the way my voice sounds. Our moderators have repeatably stated that lively debate is encouraged here...can I not voice my opinions on topics freely without being subject to innuendo brow beating(i.e." I'm sure he'd be happy to accept your apology"?? And sense when does a persons stating his mind about something relegate him to " Not a good way to make friends, IMO." Some of the best people I know, our relationships, occurred because one or the other had a different slant/view on things....Larry is a big boy Steve...please either stay out of my business, or, preferably, take the time to truly read what it is I have to say.  Thanks bruddah!!   ;)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
 first, i would like to thank all of the members for their input.my original question was how i should price a 9 inch pizza? i got great feed back on pricing along with other suggestions,such as selling by the slice which as bob said i should be open to. i am open to it ,and if i find that people do not want a whole 9 inch pie i will change my approach.
 bob i want to thank you in advance for any information you give me on those beautiful deep dish pizzas you made in the ingredients thread. forgot to thank you in my reply to your work. a lot of the neapolitan men and woman have meet and or shared information thru the net. i consider them good friends, i should of use the word thanks more often and i hope they are forgiving to me if i took advantage of their important input .
 i will keep all of you updated on the results of wood fired pizza at the fair if interested.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
Before Bill fires one over the bow and sticks a big ol' lock on this thread, I want to say WTG Larry!  Your pies look incredible.  Although it's getting a little heated here, I learn something each time.  Today I learned I would never want to do a festival.  Private gigs are enough for me. 
You are right about the rain.  We got pounded last month and caused me to buy a 10 X 20 pop up.  There is no escaping the rain under a 10 X 10.
Did I spy some type of red & whited checkered food tissue somewhere?  Where do you get that? 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

i will keep all of you updated on the results of wood fired pizza at the fair if interested.

We are all interested in your Fair results and wish you much success...I, personally,know that you must be very excited yet at the same time feeling much pressure...I apologize if I inadvertently added to an already stressful scene, Larry...I hope you know I meant no direct harm bruddah....

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
Oh yeah...  and I'm stealing your "pepper boats".  SYK.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
We are all interested in your Fair results and wish you much success...I, personally,know that you must be very excited yet at the same time feeling much pressure...I apologize if I inadvertently added to an already stressful scene, Larry...I hope you know I meant no direct harm bruddah....

Yeah, what Bob said.

Aw geez, now I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. :-D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
in the beginning of the post i said i can take it. love this forum and all involved. I'm feeling choked up :'( :-D

Offline petef

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »
Yes Pete, you are right...it is fun to discuss these things and the discussions do in fact add to our forums knowledge base.
I'm not sorry for my rant though. Call me crazy if you must, but it's just that lately I have been taking more interest in this site and I do notice that a few of the more popular members start or become involved in a thread and become a bit selective to whom they choose to respond to/acknowledge.I know all about how some topics can have a different pulse rate than others so don't even go there.
 The number of posts you have or the length of time you have been here does not give license to ignore the little guy....I mean ,  'cmon man...that is the core/essence of what this is all about, right? If you are jaded then take a rest.  This is a very classy site and sometimes people need to take a step back or take a deep breath an slow the heck down and just be friendly to all and remember where you come from...
 A lot of good info here(entire site) gets tossed to the wayside due to impatience....that there is a powerful , true statement my friends....

Bob, honestly, I haven't noticed new members being ignored by any particular groups or people. But then again I generally try not to judge or analyze what people's motive are, so you could be right about that. It could be certain members with similar philosophies on pizza making band together, but that's natural and I wouldn't let that bother me. I mean how many times can the "old timers" be expected to answer the same questions over and over again?

I've been involved with electronic media since the early 1980's and I've learned not read too deep into other people's motives when it comes to the written word. There's just too much room for misinterpreting people's intentions. I've seen this a lot on systems such as online forums and Facebook where people fight or friendships break up all due to misinterpreting what the other person's intention was.

Me, I'm very easy going. I try not to judge others intentions. I love a good debate if it's done in a professional manner where ideas are attacked without making personal attacks because usually we all learn something in the process.

As for pizzamaking.com  I've been coming here for many years a few times per week. I now tend to skip over most topics that I've visited many times in the past and look for the new stuff. Sometimes I don't have the time or energy to do anything but browse a few threads. Sometimes I just look at the pics in a thread, I get hungry and go have a slice. :)

Bottom line, it just too hard to judge other people's intentions or hidden motives based upon what's written in these forums, especially when it involves reading between the lines.

---pete---

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2012, 10:33:42 PM »
Pete,
You are a smart guy...thanks for taking the time to respond to my mess, preciate it.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:40 AM »
the fair is over,and the beautiful flame put out over 2000 pies. i learned a lot about oven and dough management.as well as stretching. thanks to all for your input. it went very well and we signed on for next year. back to my real job where 12 hours will be a short day in comparison .

Offline petef

« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2012, 01:56:47 AM »
Wow 2000 pies...Impressive!  So there you go, with such high demand like that, slices are not an issue. I can't even imagine making that many pies in a single day. Bravo!

I saw your "Beautiful Flame" pizza rig in another thread. Great name! Fantastic first class setup!
Your pies looks great. You are the king of mobile Neapolitan pizza.

---pete---

pizzapan