Author Topic: pizza at the fair  (Read 9701 times)

scott123

Re: pizza at the fair
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
If it was me, I'd sell NP, and I'd make a big deal about it being NP - create excitement precisely because they don't know what NP is and will be interested for that reason.

This I agree with.  If I were doing this, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'd look into renting a pulcinella costume, have one of the workers wear it, and really play up the cultural aspect.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:57:07 AM by scott123 »

scott123

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
Scott, I hear you. But John already has a captive audience at the event...already expecting to be served pizza.

It's quite a different scenario from setting up what is one of many food options and hoping that people may order a pizza.

Kelly, this is 18,000 to 23,000 people per day. Larry might have a slow moment during the early morning, but, for the rest of the day, he should mirror John's output, especially if he's giving people an option for something small so they can have their burgers and other stuff. When you get to an event of this size, you can treat it like a home pizza tasting because the demand should be sufficient enough so no slice ever goes cold.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
This I agree with.  If I were doing this, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'd look into renting a pulcinella costume and really play up the cultural aspect.

That would be cool!

Pulcinella could walk around eating pizza al libretto.
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »

Hopefully you're still a Redneck Hick, even if you have sorted out the Neapolitan thing.  ;)
Texas Craig,
I will buy you a pizza tool/gadget of your choice in exchange for the real deal recipe of Fletcher's corndogs... :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
Peter and Craig, you may have noticed that I said John Conklin 'serves' individual slices, I didn't say 'sell.'  :)

scott123,

Yes, I did notice the distinction, yet I wondered if John had sold slices. I was just looking for evidence of sales of Neapolitan pizzas by the slice and wasn't finding it.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
scott123,

Yes, I did notice the distinction, yet I wondered if John had sold slices. I was just looking for evidence of sales of Neapolitan pizzas by the slice and wasn't finding it.

Peter
I think John sold slices at the 1 or 2 different street fairs he posted about....not sure.
He was very quiet about pricing for awhile there so that might have affected your search words...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:05:53 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
Larry,

I have seen many fair food vendors make a lot of money at big fairs.  I know at least two of them personally and they always make out like a bandit.  When we were a food vendor at the big fair, they were days they brought bus loads of people in from other cities and those days were especially good.  I think country folks would take to your Neapolitan pizzas quickly.  First of all of the pizzas I have ever saw, or eaten at fairs really arenít that good.  With your high quality pies, you should do well.  I am also a country hick and never even knew what Neapolitan pies were until I came to this forum.  After I saw the fire in WFOís and tasted the kind of pies coming out of them I was hooked, like I think your customers will be.  Fair goers are always looking for new foods.  Usually most fair attendees donít go by themselves.  One of your pies could be split for a few people, which you intend to do.  

You might have some customers that want their whole pies cut in smaller slices to feed more of a group.  That is up to you what you do about that.  I know I have customers with smaller children and sometimes they want one slice cut into three pieces, because the smaller children canít eat a big slice.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:35:53 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »
Texas Craig,
I will buy you a pizza tool/gadget of your choice in exchange for the real deal recipe of Fletcher's corndogs... :'(

My point exactly. Very few people knew what a corn dog was before trying it at the Texas State Fair in the late 1930's, and the rest is history.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
My point exactly. Very few people knew what a corn dog was before trying it at the Texas State Fair in the late 1930's, and the rest is history.

Or fried Coke or Oreos for that matter.

Now all that stuff is up here during the Fells Point festival, thanks to the Texas State fair.

What a great weekend going to the State Fair one day and then going inside the Cotton Bowl to see the annual Red River Shootout on Saturday must be. Boomer Schooner!  :P
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

scott123

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
So, corn dogs, fried coke and fried oreos are good examples of fair goers having 'adventuresome' palettes?  :)

Craig, you said that I'm selling these people short and that fairs are opportunities for people to experience new foods.  What foods, outside of American culture, are they eating at the Texas state fair?  Are there stands selling Indian curries?  Falafel? Tapas? Being a state fair, I'm guessing Texas probably has a sushi stand, but I highly doubt Lorain has sushi.  If Lorain has sushi, then I stand corrected on everything I've said relating to slices. I think, currently, sushi is an excellent barometer of how adventuresome people's tastes are.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
Accusing me of bigotry is entirely uncalled for, Don.
Bigotry is a bit strong of a word, but you did link to a video showing fairgoers with farm animals and then refer to them as "these people" and suggest that it would be hard to explain to them how to eat their food. You did seem suggest that because "these people" like tractor pulls and demolition derbys that they may not appreciate food that they probably haven't tried before. It just came across to me as a little condescending. If that wasn't your intention then I apologize.

There are undoubtedly going to be people that think that the NP pizza is soggy, or that it is burnt because of the char. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't the same reaction when NP pizza was first introduced in a lot of areas where it is now popular.

Give people a chance to experience NP pizza for what it is. Who knows Larry, you may be starting something that will catch on and grow in our area.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:52:29 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
So, corn dogs, fried coke and fried oreos are good examples of fair goers having 'adventuresome' palettes?  :)

Craig, you said that I'm selling these people short and that fairs are opportunities for people to experience new foods.  What foods, outside of American culture, are they eating at the Texas state fair?  Are there stands selling Indian curries?  Falafel? Tapas? Being a state fair, I'm guessing Texas probably has a sushi stand, but I highly doubt Lorain has sushi.  If Lorain has sushi, then I stand corrected on everything I've said relating to slices. I think, currently, sushi is an excellent barometer of how adventuresome people's tastes are.

I don't know Scott. It's been years since I have gone. I would not be surprised if there was sushi. It is very popular in Texas. Notwithstanding, I still don't see NP as a strech. I don't see NP al libretto to a person who has had Pappa Johns as any more of a strech than a corn dog to a person who had only tried a regular hot dog.

Sure, if you go in with the attitude that this is something exotic and you and your hick family probably won't like it, you might not sell much, but if you make it exciting, they will try it and they will like it. It's nothing like feeding sushi to someone who has only had fried catfish - but you know what, I've done that to more than one hard core redneck and have them turn into sushi addicts.

Seriously, you really think that someone who likes thin pizza won't like a great NP pie? At a state fair where yu are probably looking to try new and fun things?

You may be right, but I'm really happy the first guy to serve me a NP pie didn't think that.

FWIW, according to Google, there are 9 places to get sushi within 20 miles of Lorain and a couple inside of 10 miles.
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »
Seriously, you really think that someone who likes thin pizza won't like a great NP pie? At a state fair where yu are probably looking to try new and fun things?

Craig, I've made it clear, in multiple posts, that the people at the fair will love Larry's pizza.  That's not what we're debating here.  Once people buy his pizza, they will love it, but a smaller serving, with a style of pizza they've never had before, on a mostly likely already pretty full stomach, is a greater enticement. The slice concept that I'm presenting is a means to expose the most possible people to great Neapolitan pizza AND make Larry the most possible money. If, during his busy hours, he sells, say, 1200 slices at 3-4 bucks a pop,  that exposes an exponentially greater number of people to Neapolitan pizza than 300 whole pies. If more people can experience Larry's pizza and he can make more money, then everyone wins.

enter8

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
Craig, I've made it clear, in multiple posts, that the people at the fair will love Larry's pizza.  That's not what we're debating here.  Once people buy his pizza, they will love it, but a smaller serving, with a style of pizza they've never had before, on a mostly likely already pretty full stomach, is a greater enticement. The slice concept that I'm presenting is a means to expose the most possible people to great Neapolitan pizza AND make Larry the most possible money. If, during his busy hours, he sells, say, 1200 slices at 3-4 bucks a pop,  that exposes an exponentially greater number of people to Neapolitan pizza than 300 whole pies. If more people can experience Larry's pizza and he can make more money, then everyone wins.
5 slices and 2 anchovies?

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
I still think the drawback is how to eat the NP pie while walking or standing.
Forget about the guy with a drink, pushing a stroller, or holding a stuffed animal or a child's hand...he just can't do it...he's already out of hands.
Holding a plate in one hand and eating the NP with the other...that should leave him with enough sauce and cheese down his shirt to give him a nice bedtime snack.
Maybe the real money is in selling a shoulder mounted tray.
Kind of like this, but turned around.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »
I still think the drawback is how to eat the NP pie while walking or standing.
Forget about the guy with a drink, pushing a stroller, or holding a stuffed animal or a child's hand...he just can't do it...he's already out of hands.
Holding a plate in one hand and eating the NP with the other...that should leave him with enough sauce and cheese down his shirt to give him a nice bedtime snack.
Maybe the real money is in selling a shoulder mounted tray.
Kind of like this, but turned around.

Sorry,it's all been done....

btw, I think I saw that girl in one of the fair videos, she wasn't pushing a stroller and carrying a stuffed animal. Explains why she had a corndog in one hand an a slice of pizza in the other.    ;)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20374.msg200620.html#msg200620

Sorry,but that's not going to fly.
We eat with our eyes as well as our mouth.
How many Neapolitan pizza sandwiches do you think he will sell ?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
Sorry,but that's not going to fly.
We eat with our eyes as well as our mouth.
How many Neapolitan pizza sandwiches do you think he will sell ?
That's what my 'lil b&w video is for....Larry's oven will do the rest for your eyes.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20374.msg200694.html#msg200694

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Mangia!!

A big screen monitor showing those kids clamoring for pizza sandwiches an 'Ol Blue Eyes singing in the background would be powerful....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:31:23 PM by Chicago Bob »