Author Topic: pizza at the fair  (Read 8498 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: pizza at the fair
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
Sorry,but that's not going to fly.
We eat with our eyes as well as our mouth.
How many Neapolitan pizza sandwiches do you think he will sell ?

I certainly would not call it a Neapolitan pizza sandwich. As I was serving it, I'd ask if they would like it cut or if I could fold it for them in the "tradational Neapolitan style."

As several memebers of this forum can attest, often I don't sit down to eat my NP pizza - rather eating folded slices as I walk around the Garage. It's never a problem. A small pie, sliced into 4 pieces and served on a paper plate, will work just fine.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
I wouldn't call it a sandwich either..but that's what it is.
The outdoor festivals that I've seen with mobile ovens all had some sort of food court/common eating area with tables.
Even a chair would allow you to use a lap.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
I wouldn't call it a sandwich either..but that's what it is.

Have you ever tried a NP pizza folded like that? It's perhaps the best ways to enjoy it.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
A small pie, sliced into 4 pieces and served on a paper plate, will work just fine.

Where there's a will there's a way....do it as mentioned above an call it a day.   Sheesh!   ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
Have you ever tried a NP pizza folded like that? It's perhaps the best ways to enjoy it.

I'm not doubting you on that.

I just think it's too much of a learning curve to expect the fairgoers to swallow both a new type of pizza and a new way of eating pizza.
The pizza itself will be sort of familiar, and easy enough to take a chance on, and others seeing that pizza walking down the aisle will sell lots more.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2012, 05:25:21 PM »
Man,alls I wanted was a Fletcher's corndog.... :'(

>:D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »
I highly doubt Lorain has sushi.  If Lorain has sushi, then I stand corrected on everything I've said relating to slices. I think, currently, sushi is an excellent barometer of how adventuresome people's tastes are.

FWIW, according to Google, there are 9 places to get sushi within 20 miles of Lorain and a couple inside of 10 miles.
There are several places that sell sushi in our area. I'm not sure about the Lorain County Fair but I remember seeing sushi at Ohio State Fair the last few times that I went.

You want a gauge of how adventuresome people's tastes are...Rocky Mountain Oysters  :-X  I've always said that I would try anything once, but...

The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »

You want a gauge of how adventuresome people's tastes are...Rocky Mountain Oysters  :-X  I've always said that I would try anything once, but...

Back in the day a few of us kids worked at my girlfriend's dad's Clark gas station, right next to a White Fence Farm chicken joint in Chicago suburbs.....it really gassed him to get us to try his favored " fried gizzards " an then proceed to tell us that chicken part was from the boy birds....what an idiot!   ;D

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
Mangia!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiwDz2MfbS0&feature=player_embedded

A big screen monitor showing those kids clamoring for pizza sandwiches an 'Ol Blue Eyes singing in the background would be powerful....

Great vintage video.
Now, if Larry can cram a few hundred years of tradition into a weekend, the libretto has a chance.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »
Great vintage video.
Now, if Larry can cram a few hundred years of tradition into a weekend, the libretto has a chance.
Stop being so pessimistic friend.....the power of video an recorded music can surprisingly be most compelling in unassuming situations...

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »
I think his main worry will be how to store enough doughballs, not how to present them.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »
I think his main worry will be how to store enough doughballs, not how to present them.
Well, this is the second go around on this topic....and I enjoy trying to discuss marketing techniques.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2012, 11:25:24 PM »
Me too.  I would present them as what they are, maybe with some chalkboards/whiteboards describing how to fold them as well as a bit of history for the customers to read while they wait.  

Make it an experience not a line waiting to stuff their face with more fair food.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:18 PM »
Me too.  I would present them as what they are, maybe with some chalkboards/whiteboards describing how to fold them as well as a bit of history for the customers to read while they wait.  

Make it an experience not a line waiting to stuff their face with more fair food.
Agreed, and that is why I was again merely referring to my earlier suggestion ...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20374.msg200795.html#msg200795

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
 Larry first off you know I said $10 bucks from the get go ! no change. as said out of the 23000 people there a few hundred a day will have $10 buck for that beauty ! if you wanna go $8 thats fine,but you can only do so many anyway, are doing the 2 ovens? I wish I could come and help you!! but I am booked (2 parties) for this sat ! sat. and sunday next week and Saturday the 25th 100 people! leave 26th for Utah!! and turned down 4 parties over Laborday weekend what the hell was I thinking  ??? that wont happen again. Slices NO WAY !! I have only done 2 street fairs too much work for me! but whole pies only !! several people told me at wyckoff day before it kicked off  I should sell slices. I sold $10 Margherita and $12 pepperoni or sausage which went over very well also, all day long! 145 - 11to12" pizzas in about 4 hours.   I outright refused. Just my opinion Neapolitan does not reheat well or eat well cool, and selling slices of this product just wont work. regardless of audience. don't even consider it.  I am getting worn out on that one. At my private Parties I serve and or pass the pies in slices so people can try the different concoctions. Recently I have been placing a menu on the table with a list, and people simply request what they want (or I recommend ) a pie they might like and they take it away to their table or seat. Its gonna be great exposure and experience! I wish you well (and Lorenzo's too! ) your gonna do fine, Just do what you can, enjoy it, you don't have to break any records try to keep it fun its a lot of work !! and those wineries will seem like a picnic after this  baby !!
John
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:27:22 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:08 AM »
John,
Bout damn time you showed up man....they kill'in me here!   ???
Please, could ya talk a 'lil faster though.... ;)

Offline petef

« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2012, 04:49:34 AM »
On the SLICE issue, I think it boils down to this; If business is doing so well selling whole pies and the workload is maxed out, then there's no need to sell slices due to the overwhelming demand of whole pies. That's the optimum scenario, but a wise businessman would also be prepared for less than optimum conditions.

If the whole pies are not selling at a fast and highly demanding pace, then it would be wise to put up a separate sign advertising SLICES. Slices sold at a higher cost per pie would enable you to trash any cold or soggy slices that were not sold in a timely fashion and you'd still break even compared to selling whole pies.

If I had any slices that were not selling and about to go cold or soggy, I'd yell out to passers by offering special deals of $1 per slice or even give away a those slices as a marketing strategy to expose more people to this NEW style of pizza that I know they will love and tell other people about.

So, from a BUSINESS perspective, SLICES equate to more work, more complication, but they have great marketing potential for expanding sales.

From a CONSUMER's perspective, SLICES equate to lower cost, better choice, more convenience, and an attractive offer to try something new.

Bottom line, setup your signs and have a game plan to quickly switch between selling slices and not selling slices as the demand requires.

---pete---

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:52:16 AM by petef »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:18 PM »
 i cannot see selling neapolitan pizza by the slice. it is very hard to place cheese evenly on each slice unless you go with grated cheese. if i can sell between three to four hundred a day i will be happy.remember it is a 12 hour selling day.at our wineries we do 100 in two hours or so. i do not want to be overwhelmed ,and i do not want to be sitting around picking by back end.so, i need to find a price that will give me profit and not scare customers away.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »
i cannot see selling neapolitan pizza by the slice. it is very hard to place cheese evenly on each slice unless you go with grated cheese. if i can sell between three to four hundred a day i will be happy.remember it is a 12 hour selling day.at our wineries we do 100 in two hours or so. i do not want to be overwhelmed ,and i do not want to be sitting around picking by back end.so, i need to find a price that will give me profit and not scare customers away.
ok... so, take your choice...$6,$7or $8......we are not at your venue man. You have had so much knowledgeable extraneous input here that you have failed to even said thanks to that it makes me wonder how far this is supposed to go....I know you are a busy man, sir, stand careful to not get in over your head.....it's jus a fair, and like pizza....it's supposed to be jus fun... ;)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2012, 12:14:59 AM »
I'll throw in my .02: $10 per Marg pie is reasonable.  You could go higher for anything with meat. $10 is a good round number, and you are going to get a ton of 20's and 10's thrown at you.  Having to send someone to get more change is a serious problem.

Fair food is inflated because it is a tough business, and people will gladly pay your price, whatever it is.  My parents did craft shows for years, and festivals, fairs, shows, are a whole different world.  It's tough to get in and set up, and tough to keep it going all day, then come back and do it again the next day.  Be prepared going in, have someone offsite doing everything possible to support you, and try to get enough sleep that you're not passing out in front of the oven.  And CHARGE for the pain.  This is all expected!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

pizzapan