Author Topic: Cordierite Shelf  (Read 1788 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Cordierite Shelf
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
Are Cordierite Shelves offered by http://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-12x24x1rect.aspx safe for backing pizza?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:22:31 AM by Pete-zza »
Bert,

buceriasdon

Re: Cordierite Shelf
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
yes

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »
Are Cordierite Shelves offered by http://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-12x24x1rect.aspx safe for baking pizza?

I don't know about the safe part, but they're less expensive for similar size than where I bought mine. http://www.californiapizzastones.com/pizza/stones/square-pizza-and-baking-stones.php

These guys make the claim that theirs are food safe, but I have a feeling most of these stones are. When I called a local shop pottery and asked they said that lots of people were using their stones for baking. Unfortunately they didn't have the size I wanted and didn't know when they would.

jb

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
I need to confirm that somehow... californiapizzastones has done a toxity test on their stone....
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »
JB,  are you happy with the stone form californiapizzastones?
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
I can get my stones from China, I am bit hesitant to do that even though majority of the stones online are from China. The cost almost half not including shipping.
Bert,

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
JB,  are you happy with the stone form californiapizzastones?

Not after seeing the price on that other site. :) Just kidding. Actually they won't get here until this weekend. I'll let you know when I've tried them. I am assuming that since their site says they're non toxic and they've posted here that they're non toxic that they can back that up.

jb

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »
Whether it be cordierite, mullite or other types of refractory materials they all are fused at such high temps that they become, for all practical purposes, inert. Also their chemical composition contains no toxic metals such as lead. It is the ceramic glazes that may contain lead, not the ceramic itself that poses a danger. More inert than say a cast iron skillet which does release perhaps a few harmless molecules of free iron each time it's used. Man has eaten from ceramic plates and bowls for thousands of years with no ill effects unless it has a lead based glaze on it.
Don

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
Some of the best sauce that my mother made were in ceramic bowls that came from Italy. They were glazed and they could be put on the stove for slow cooking.
It is true that the lead based glaze must be fired at high temperatures in order to be safe.
Some forty years ago, or so, a lot of pottery came out of Mexico improperly fired at low temperatures. As a result people who used a pitcher, for example, containing
orange juice were poisoned by lead that was leeched by acidic content.
There are kits out there that will identify whether or not lead is present.

pat

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »
I can get my stones from China, I am bit hesitant to do that even though majority of the stones online are from China. The cost almost half not including shipping.
Where do you order your stones from China.  Website???

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »
Where do you order your stones from China.  Website???

I only got quotes so far from manufacturer on alibaba with 2000 stones mnimum order. 
Bert,