Author Topic: "Caputo" Farina 00 - imported by Wiscon - anyone used?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
"Caputo" Farina 00 - imported by Wiscon - anyone used?
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
A few weeks ago I was at a really cool Italian grocery and pasta shop and bought some Alimonti 00 flour.

This was my first 00 Italian flour.  I used the Peter Reinhart "Neo-Neapolitan" recipe at http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/92-classic-pizza-dough-neo-neapolitan-style.html with 2% oil.
This was my first attempt at a neapolitan dough and I was really really pleased with the results.

Well, I ran out of the Alimonti so I went back to the grocery.  Previously they also had the Antimo Caputo 00 Chef's Flour (red) in addition to the Alimonti, but this time they had a different-looking package of "Caputo" flour - pictures below.

I had gone out of my way to get to the store, so I just bought it despite my confusion over the "Caputo" label.  The lady said "it's the same stuff, just a different distributor" or something.

I did a quick internet search and discovered that this is NOT Antimo Caputo flour.  Pete-zza has a mention of it here from waaay back in 2006:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3472.msg29431.html#msg29431

Other than this, I don't see any mention on this site, so thought I would start a thread to see if anyone has used it and/or has any more information about it.

I mixed up an 18.25 ounce ball using it today, again with the above Reinhart recipe with 2% oil.  I didn't really notice any difference versus the Alimonti.  It's possible that it absorbed a little more, and maybe the dough seemed stronger.

The big test will be the finished product.  I'll let you know how it turns out but in the meantime, wondering if anyone has any more info or experience with this "Caputo" flour.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:49:31 PM by Biz Markie »

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
Re: "Caputo" Farina 00 - imported by Wiscon - anyone used?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
Well, baked my "nearly-politan" pie last night. 

I would go into the specifics of my prep and baking but figure there's no point since I'm just trying to evaluate the difference in the flours.

I followed the same procedures I had been when I used the Alimonti.  EXCEPT - I changed up the baking process because I was getting doughy rims that weren't fully cooked.

So I baked this longer and with less broiler action.  So technically not a direct experiment upon which to judge the Wiscon Caputo flour.

However - the handling of the dough in prepping the skin was no different than with the Alimonti, really.  The taste and texture of the finished pie crust was excellent.  Not as good as if I could bake it properly in a WFO, but plenty good for my tastes and just as good as the Alimonti.

So at this point I guess I'll continue to use this flour (bought 6 pounds) even though I HATE the idea of using a "knock-off" brand.  I'll probably go to ordering Antimo Caputo after this, or badger my Italian grocer to start carrying it again.

Hope this may help someone out there.  But would also still welcome anyone else's knowledge of this product.

pizzapan