Author Topic: close to amazing GF pizza  (Read 5206 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
close to amazing GF pizza
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
Been awhile since I've posted here...just wanted to share some of what's been happening in my quest (to be able to make a GF pizza that looks and tastes almost indistinguishable from a regular NY pizza that you'd find in a NY pizzeria).

First, a quick and perhaps obvious finding--it's pretty much impossible to succeed with just a store-bought mix alone.  There are good ones and bad ones, some are better than others (I liked using Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix for a while), and I've tried just about all of them--but you just can't get the Holy Grail using a pure store-bought crust and following the recipe.  It just ain't gonna happen, so give up that idea.

Second--I found a recipe that seems to get pretty close!  Full props and thanks go to "cymry-pa", on whose blog I found this recipe, which I've modified slightly for my own uses (I use less yeast and a tad less dry milk powder):

http://cymry-pa.blogspot.ca/2011/01/new-year-new-kitchen-adventures.html

The basic concept here is that it uses Gluten Free Pantry's french bread and pizza mix, and then (here's the key point) adds dry milk powder (in a fairly high proportion).  That is what gives the pizza its light fluffiness, a better taste, and helps it get a nice browned char on a pizza stone.  I've been preparing the dough in a pan, baking that for a few minutes next to a preheating pizza stone in the oven, then transferring to a peel, and from thence to the pizza stone.  Key factor--HIGH HEAT.  I turn the oven to its highest (only 500 unfortunately) and then I calibrate it to fool it into thinking it's 30 degrees too cold...so I get a total of 530 degrees max.  This actually works relatively well (although I wish I could go to 600!).  The pizza comes out with a nice crunchy browned bottom and has a bit of char to it.  The taste is fantastic--VERY close to a regular NY pizza.

I'm in the middle of trying to replicate that recipe using regular GF flours rather than buying the mix in a box.  The GF Pantry mix uses mostly white rice flour, corn starch, and potato starch, which is a fairly common GF mix to use, so it's just a question of experimenting with different proportions to come up with something pretty similar.  I'm also trying to add a slight amount of brown rice flour/bean flour for protein/fibre, and also some sorghum/tapioca to create a more nuanced taste.  Haven't hit quite upon something I'm totally happy with yet, but I'm getting pretty close :)

One last thing I've learned is to use excellent sauce and cheese ingredients.  It only makes sense--if the crust is going to be subpar just by its GF nature, then you have to try to make up for it with outstanding quality sauce and cheese.

I hope that's all of some use to you amateur GF pizza makers out there :)  Keep the ideas coming!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:17:28 AM by canadave »

Offline artellan

• bread baker hoping to improve my pies
Re: close to amazing GF pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Thanks for this post Dave. I am going to try it!

I wonder if we have the same oven (whirlpool convection) because I have the same 500/530 limitation. I usually preheat the pizza stone with convection to get it as hot as possible, it's gone to around 600F on the IR thermometer that way. I think I once got it even hotter using a tray of ice cubes next to the thermostate-probe (top left corner) but that was more trouble than it's worth.

I'm excited to try making pizza again, went Primal/Paleo around a year ago and couldn't believe the improved digestion and other stuff, mainly from eliminating wheat! (I never thought I had any gluten issues but I guess I did!)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
Not sure about using it for pizza, but the folks at Ideas In Food have gotten some really I good reviews for their gf flour formulation.

http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2012/02/what-iif-flour.html
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline artellan

• bread baker hoping to improve my pies
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Well I had no idea of the composition of the "GF Pantry French Bread & Pizza Mix", and only had limited flours available to me anyway, but the pizza turned out great! I couldn't believe how well it crisped up and easily came off the parchment paper after the first 5 min pre-bake. I wrote down the ingredients I used so could post those later (don't have them with me right now). It was white rice flour, corn starch, arrowroot, and potato starch, plus milk & water.

The thinner pizzas turned out better.

Still not the healthiest meal ever (all that starch) but a nice treat.

One question, does the "GF Pantry French Bread & Pizza mix" contain salt? I didn't put any salt in my dough and only realized after taking my first bite, it still tasted pretty good but a bit of salt might have improved it. I shook salt over my last crust before the pre-bake, and I think that improved the taste.

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:37 AM »
No amateur!....

Can-Dave do you have pictures of your No-Glut?

m.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:45:25 AM by doodneyy »

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:00:35 AM »
Well?

Offline Marko

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
Hello doodneyy,

I know this is an old thread, but here goes... :). Can you elaborate a bit more about what starter you used in this recipe? There is yeast and a starter? Please, can you tell em what you used? I'd like to try and replicate your result. It is by far the closest looking to an actual wood-fired pizza I've ever seen.

Thanks!

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 02:11:11 AM »
Marko,
You got it Right!
Dood

Offline ChR0n1k

• I Love Pizza!
    • A Great Pizza
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »
I may attempt this one on the weekend in my new countertop oven as well, 2 of my friends are coming over and she has gluten intolerance... buddy said she hasnt had pizza in a decade, I think this will blow them away!  :pizza: :pizza: