After my flop attempt with the Bruno di Fabio recipe I needed to reclaim my reputation with friends, family and housemates. Due to the fact that most of the criticism from my taste testers was predominately aimed at lack of taste, I decided to tag team on the "lack of flavor devil" with Malt and Poolish.
First off I made the poolish the night before with Cake Yeast and equal parts water and KABF. I let sit out at room temp for a little over 3 hours thinking that I would make the final dough that same night, however I got sidetracked so I stuck the bubbling concoction in the fridge overnight. The next day when I decided to make the final dough and the poolish hadn't dropped at all and was still very much a bubbling mixture.
Second, the malt I obtained was from a local home brew supply store. The package was simply labeled "Malted Barley Extract". When I asked the clerk whether or not this was diastatic or not he looked at me like I was wacko so I am going out on a short limb to say this is diastatic malt. Given this conclusion, I decided to use the malt completely in lieu of sugar.
Here is the final dough recipe:
Flour (KABF) => 100%
Water (Tap) => 53% ( lo-hydration compensating for my poolish hydration)
Cake Yeast => .25%
Poolish => 25%
Salt => 2%
Malted Barley Extract => 2%
Olive Oil => 2%
Granulated Garlic => 1%
Mixing process included a 20 minute autolyse with 75% of the flour, 25% of the oil, and no salt. Total mixing time with my KA P600 (spiral dough hook attachment) was 10 minutes.
After mixing I did a 1hr bench rest with the dough covered in sterilized (via boiling water) flour sack towels. The sterilizing with boiling water was my idea however the covering of the dough in towels came from my friend Giovanni Di Palma at Antico Pizza Napoletana here in Atlanta, GA. Here is the link to his website (scroll thru a few of them to find what I am talking about):http://www.anticopizza.it/gallery.html
After I remove the towels to ball the dough, I can't even articulate how excellent the dough handles. The dough balls have a perfectly smooth skin and form into the desired shape without any resistance. I made the dough into 22 ounce balls
I cold proofed overnight for about 20 hours in my dough boxes. I monitored the rising every few hours or so and there was a whole lot of rising activity. This may be due to the fact that my yeast in the poolish was still very active and it just added on to the extra I put in with the recipe.
This dough stretched magnificently into a 16 inch pie. No retraction whatsoever. I expected this behavior due to the fact that I used granulated garlic in the recipe (which is kind of my signature ingredient with my regular taste testers
The sauce recipe I used was from chickenparm in this post:http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13754.0.html
I used Cento Crushed and Cento "San Marzano" and all herbs were exact to Bill's recipe. I was very impressed with the flavor and will continue to use for a long time!!!
Cheese came from Costo (Kirkland Brand). Kind of burns easily but isn't too bad tasting in the end....
Here are the pics..