Author Topic: Food processor with dough blade  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Chaze215

Food processor with dough blade
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »
I recently got a new food processor which came with a dough blade. Has anyone used their food processor with a dough blade? Could the blade ruin the dough by overmixing? Just curious.  Thanks in advance!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline patdakat345

Re: Food processor with dough blade
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »
I do probably 95% of my dough in a Cuisinart. They have a dough blade, but I use the chopping blade.  I make 4-5 pizzas at a time and it significantly reduces the mixing time.
I can, once the the ingredients are measured out, do five pizzas in less the 15 minutes. Dry ingredients are put in the processor, given a quick whirl, add water until mixture comes together and then add the oil and mix until incorporated. Hand knead for a minute or so until satiny and ball as usual.
Use cool water in the range of 80F. to 85F. The friction in the bowl can cause the dough to get very hot and kill the yeast. I burned my hands on dough that is over-processed.
Have made pizza by hand, Kitchen Aid, Bosch and the Cuisinart. My Cuisinart is an XL-10 and can easily handle 2 pound dough balls.

pat

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »
Chaz:

I now use my food processor exclusively when making dough, as my mixer is too large to properly knead small quantities.  I use the regular metal chopping blade, as Kitchenaid does not make a dough blade for my model.  The only real difference is that the dough blade is made of plastic, due to concerns that the metal blade will heat faster and negatively impact the dough.  This is not a major problem, as long as you keep the heat factor in mind throughout the process.

I put the dry ingredients in the processor first, then add water and pulse until the dough comes together.  I stick with 60% hydration, and use cold water, 65-68F.  I autolyse for 30 minutes, to allow the dough to become fully hydrated.   When I run the processor, the dough ball usually spins in a large mass for a few seconds.  When the blade begins to chop the dough, I mix for 30 seconds.  If I am doing a long rise, I then hand knead for a minute or two.  If I am rising for 5-6 hours I hand knead for 3-4 minutes, until I get a decent windowpane.  If making an emergency dough, I hand knead a few minutes more and go for full windowpane.  By adhering to this process my dough never gets beyond 78F.

You can eliminate all but the briefest hand-knead by upping the kneading time in the food processor, but I think this two step process gives a good margin of error so that the dough will not become overheated.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:10:55 AM by Pappy »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
Thanks for the info guys....I appreciate it. I made some dough last night using the Cuisinart dough blade, but I think I will try it with the regular blade next time. Im using about 60-65% hydration and making about 2# at a time...my kitchen is not big enough for a Hobart...lol Thanks again and I will keep you guys posted on how it comes out.

Chaz 
Chaz

pizzapan