Author Topic: Mike's Amateur Hour  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Michael48220

Mike's Amateur Hour
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
Itís amateur hour!

I got into making pizza through bread baking. As I became a somewhat decent baker, I realized most of the local pizza joints just werenít using good flour or making very good bread. So I started trying to do it myself.

This is my second attempt using Glutenboyís formula with Pete-Zzaís vital wheat gluten adaptation. Some of the percentages may be off from Peterís original calculations because my cheap kitchen scale is only accurate to the gram. These were baked on day five.

97.13% KABF +
2.87% Bobís Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten = 100%
61% Water
.2% IDY
2.5% salt

These were baked at my parentsí house. The baking rig is pictured below. Itís a gas grill with three burners on the bottom and a heating element on top. One baking stone was placed directly on the grill and the other one was placed on a shelf above it. The grillís thermometer read between 600 and 700 degrees throughout the bake.

My mother shaped and dressed the pies. I use toppings more sparingly, but it was her birthday and this was a lot of fun for the family. And the buffalo mozzarella they sprang for was pretty amazing.

Some of the pies ended up a little too charred in places, and the styling was certainly far from perfect, but the texture of the crust was close to what Iím looking foróseared, charred, and black in places, yet still incredibly soft. The closest I have come to this is by grilling pizzas directly over coals, much like you can find described on Slice.  I like this technique, but it has its limitations, and in my experience, oven spring just isnít happening.

On my first and third attempts with this dough, I baked in my home oven. I preheated my oven and stone to 550 for an hour, and then baked on broil 6Ē inches under the broiler for six to seven minutes.  This resulted in a good pizza, but not the texture Iím looking for. It was a little bit firmer, a little bit tougher, and a little bit browner than I wanted. Iím sorry I donít have pictures, but the camera we used is currently experiencing a lens error that prevents it from doing pretty much anything. When I checked the manual, it says the lens error can be caused by using it in a dusty environment, which really makes me think I was using too much bench flour.

My next move in the home oven will be to move the shelf to the top position, which should put the pie at 4Ē from the broiler. I am seeking a softer, fluffier pizza, something Iím not sure I have had before, but I feel like I will recognize when I taste it. Any suggestions? Iím definitely thinking about higher temperatures or trying bromated flour, but Iím not entirely sure where to go with this to get the results I want.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:39:16 PM by Michael48220 »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Mike's Amateur Hour
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
That's a nice looking little pie. I know I'd like the flavor combination.

How did you measure 0.02% IDY?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Michael48220

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »
For whatever reason, these three pictures came in under the 128K limit without resizing. These are actually three different pies, but they were all pretty much variations on a theme, plus or minus an ingredient or two. It's hard to tell them apart. There were more that didn't get pictured, including a pretty nice marg. There was a kilo of flour, so 2g IDY makes 0.02%, right?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
There was a kilo of flour, so 2g IDY makes 0.02%, right?

No, 0.2%  ;)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Michael48220

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
It's fixed. Thanks!

Rookie move, I know.

Offline moose13

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:58:07 PM »
Looks damn good to me.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »
Yes, very nice Michael.....purdy!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »
Two things are limiting your oven spring, imo.  One being the extra heavy hand on the toppings and another being that you have a wack load of dough that could have stood to be stretched a bit more.  Otherwise, the underskirt looks good and I'm sure it tasted great.  Any way to steal the grill and practice at your place?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »
Two things are limiting your oven spring, imo.  One being the extra heavy hand on the toppings and another being that you have a wack load of dough that could have stood to be stretched a bit more.  Otherwise, the underskirt looks good and I'm sure it tasted great.  Any way to steal the grill and practice at your place?

Wack load of dough...you crak me up Gene.  :D
How true it is....but, unfotunately I got some places here in Durham where the college kids would go ga-ga for that. 'Tis kinda purdy though.....

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »
Ya know, if he has the IR burner on, with a couple vortex generators/deflectors under the top stone, I bet he could get some really nice results.  Assuming what he got wasn't exactly what he wanted.
If it wasn't doughy, I'd hit it.

My Canadian buddy says wack load all the time.  I like to toss it around every now and then...
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 01:10:30 AM »

My Canadian buddy says wack load all the time.  I like to toss it around every now and then...
Yep...sorta like....I'd hit it!!   ??    >:D

Offline Michael48220

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »
Sadly, stealing my parents' grill is most likely a bad move. I can probably bake over there again, though. Any suggestions on deflectors or (even better) vortex generators? I'm on page 12 of the LBE thread, but the eggmen don't seem to be dealing with top generated heat. I should probably have an IR thermometer by the time my next batch of dough is ready.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 05:36:10 PM »
Sadly, stealing my parents' grill is most likely a bad move. I can probably bake over there again, though. Any suggestions on deflectors or (even better) vortex generators? I'm on page 12 of the LBE thread, but the eggmen don't seem to be dealing with top generated heat. I should probably have an IR thermometer by the time my next batch of dough is ready.
Well, it wouldn't be stealing....but recently a guy here took a grill jus like your parents an cobbled together some firebricks around the baking stone in a make shift oven fashion and then he "borrowed " the back IR heater an placed it in an opening he made in the brick ceiling. Worked nice....
You can use 1/4in. angle iron to support your ceiling bricks.

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »
Mike, I'd rather reserve comment until you can post some pics of pizza cooked in your oven because what you say you like to do is not represented by those photos. Yes, try some bromated flour.
Don

Offline Michael48220

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
Mikeís amateur hour part deux:

97% KABF
3% vital wheat gluten
61% water
2.5% salt
.2% IDY

These were baked on day three, which was earlier than I intended, but had some fantastic tomatoes that were starting to go and I didnít want to lose them. Then one of my pies turned out kind of soupy and I was like oh yeah, smart move using lots of fresh produce.  But, you know, the temptation was strong.

Three days in the fridge, two hours on the counter, oven and stones were preheated at 550 for about an hour. One stone is was in the bottom position, one was about 6Ē under the broiler. Each pie got three minutes on the bottom stone and three minutes under the broiler.

I didnít capture this well in the photos, but these hold their shape really well. Iím trying to make something that at least suggests folding.  And I would love to see more oven spring and a somewhat softer crust. Any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Sorry for the lousy phone pictures. Itís all Iíve got until I get my computer situation sorted out.

Thanks!