Author Topic: Any 2 stone-inferno and black stone operators out there??????  (Read 1510 times)

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
i'm trying to decide between a BS and 2stne. People here talk highly of both from what i can see. My main concerns are the ability to crank out tasty zaa's one after the other when we have guests over without having to wait "like in my home oven" and which is more gas efficient (If there's a big difference between the two).

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Any 2 stone-inferno and black stone operators out there??????
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
i'm trying to decide between a BS and 2stne. People here talk highly of both from what i can see. My main concerns are the ability to crank out tasty zaa's one after the other when we have guests over without having to wait "like in my home oven" and which is more gas efficient (If there's a big difference between the two).
Try the following search, you should find a lot of interesting discussion.
Dave

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
with either oven you will have more of an issue with the oven being too hot than not keeping up. trust me on that one.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
if i had one of those real fancy, stone work `outdoor kitchens` i would want a built in looking 2stone.....they both cook real good though.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Everlast

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
My review of the 2stone Inferno should give you an idea of what to expect from a 2stone. I've since added a foot pedal to avoid having to reach under the unit to turn off the motor while launching a pizza.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23994.0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LJNJOY/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »
Thanks Everlast right on the money.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »
I have the BS, not the 2Stone, but have read a bunch about the 2Stone.  Its primary advantages are that it is built to last forever, the main burner puts out insane amounts of flame,  it can be run off propane or natural gas, and you adjust the top to bottom heat on the fly.  The BS is very inexpensive, is plain steel not stainless ( though mine has held up for over a year now with no real signs of aging ), has plenty of heat, can be transported and used in different locations without access to electricity ( because the motor can be powered by batteries or AC adaptor), runs only on propane, but should be more gas efficient, IIRC it is 60,000 btu burner, vs the 2Stone with a burner more than twice that size - though actual btu's consumed will depend on how high you run the burner.  You can adjust the top to bottom heat distribution on the BS, but it is mostly by raising or lowering the bottom stone, and it needs to be cool to do that.  Either one would be a great improvement over a home oven. and both get up to speed in no time, and have no trouble keeping up with pizza after pizza, and as the zaman says, if you run the BS full blast, you won't have a problem with the stone cooling off too much, it will be that it keeps getting hotter.

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »
I have the BS, not the 2Stone, but have read a bunch about the 2Stone.  Its primary advantages are that it is built to last forever, the main burner puts out insane amounts of flame,  it can be run off propane or natural gas, and you adjust the top to bottom heat on the fly.  The BS is very inexpensive, is plain steel not stainless ( though mine has held up for over a year now with no real signs of aging ), has plenty of heat, can be transported and used in different locations without access to electricity ( because the motor can be powered by batteries or AC adaptor), runs only on propane, but should be more gas efficient, IIRC it is 60,000 btu burner, vs the 2Stone with a burner more than twice that size - though actual btu's consumed will depend on how high you run the burner.  You can adjust the top to bottom heat distribution on the BS, but it is mostly by raising or lowering the bottom stone, and it needs to be cool to do that.  Either one would be a great improvement over a home oven. and both get up to speed in no time, and have no trouble keeping up with pizza after pizza, and as the zaman says, if you run the BS full blast, you won't have a problem with the stone cooling off too much, it will be that it keeps getting hotter.

Ya, Everlast say's "On average, for 4 pizzas, gas cost me about $3.80 per night." on his 2stone. so that's around a buck a min. To me that seem's like a high running cost. I'm also guessing a burner that large on such a small unit is a wast due to the fact it never has a chance to gain and hold and decent amount of thermal mass.
 I was actually hoping to maybe make some pizza's at a farmers market  friend of mine who does this. So, do you think If i had the BS on and running for a few hours if it would just be a huge wast money?

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:15:31 AM »
So, do you think If i had the BS on and running for a few hours if it would just be a huge wast money?

It wouldn't be too bad. If my math is correct a Blackstone will run for 5.4 to 8.33 hours on 15 lbs of propane. Around here 15 lbs of propane costs about $15.

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 11:18:01 AM »
When a burner is rated any amount of BTU's and in the case of the Black Stone's it's 60,000 Btu's is that how many BTU's it will consume in an hour? ???

Offline Everlast

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »

Ya, Everlast say's "On average, for 4 pizzas, gas cost me about $3.80 per night." on his 2stone. so that's around a buck a min. To me that seem's like a high running cost. I'm also guessing a burner that large on such a small unit is a wast due to the fact it never has a chance to gain and hold and decent amount of thermal mass.
 I was actually hoping to maybe make some pizza's at a farmers market  friend of mine who does this. So, do you think If i had the BS on and running for a few hours if it would just be a huge wast money?

Actual run time would be the most accurate assessment of cost. For a 4.5 gallon tank of propane, I would say I achieve about 12-15 hours of run time. If we use 12 hours, at $3.69/gallon for propane, that's $1.38/hour on average to run the oven.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
When a burner is rated any amount of BTU's and in the case of the Black Stone's it's 60,000 Btu's is that how many BTU's it will consume in an hour? ???
that is the amount of heat it can produdce in 1hr D........to calculate amount of fuel used per hr see this....http://www.ehow.com/how_7776215_calculate-gas-consumption-gas-burner.html

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »

You might want to check with your local health department, the Blackstone is not a commercial unit and may not be deemed suitable for food service type use.

I have a Blackstone and also a 2Stone (only it's the commercial model). I just set up my 2Stone for propane this weekend and I believe it's rated at 45k BTU per burner per hour for propane. Being that it has 2 burners, if I ran both at full blast I could probably get 1 hour use per 1lb of propane. I think there are 90k BTU of energy in 1lb of propane. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. The Blackstone is a bit easier at 60k BTU.

I have insulated my Blackstone with good results on both heat retention and fuel efficiency and I plan on doing the same to the 2Stone. I would recommend insulation to either if you are concerned with fuel usage and heat retention.

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline Serpentelli

• Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
I have the 2Stone. My neighbor has a Blackstone. My brother has a Blackstone. They both perform admirably.

The 2Stone will last forever. You adjust the top vs. bottom heat via a moveable (vs fixed) burner on the 2Stone.

The 2Stone is sooooooo much nicer a piece of equipment. "commercial grade" stainless.

My brother covers his Blackstone and it has small amounts of rust on it after 1 month. My neighbor does not cover his and there's quite a bit of rust on it, and the top is sun-bleached after 3 months.

You are getting what you pay for in either case. Someone else would have to do a cost analysis, since you can technically buy 4-5 Blackstones for one 2Stone with wheels.

Depending on your finances and philosophy re: "buying disposable" one or the other may be better for you.

Personally I would buy the 2Stone again (and not a Blackstone) in a heartbeat if someone stole mine. But we bought my brother the Blackstone for his 50th because it was much more within the sibling budget.

Both ovens produce ASTOUNDING results.

But it ain't easy!!!

The "balancing act" re: heat is difficult with both ovens. But perfectly achievable with both, once the understanding is there, and once all of the other simple things like dough hydration, natural starters, bulk and ball technique, slap and fold technique, flour protein and/or malt content, and traditional Neapolitan dough opening technique are mastered! :-D :-D :-D

John K
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:02:15 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
nice post john...i couldn`t have said it any better.    ;D

anthony,close enough....i believe the `official` amount is 92k

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »
I can vouch for John's statement on the build quality of both. The Blackstone is basically a backyard grill morphed into a pizza oven. The 2Stone on the other hand is built like a tank out of high quality stainless steel.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
for the pizza `hobbiest` the bs is hard to beat....it`s so inexpensive for what it can do straight out of the box!!
i keep mine in the garage and it holds up very well...`the finish`.

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
This is definitely one of the best forums I've been on. Thanks for all info! I know some stuff  I can google but the rest comes from skill,  time and elbow grease so thank you.  :D

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
i keep mine in the garage and it holds up very well...`the finish`.

Yeah, if you take care of it it'll last a while. I've had mine for 13 months and it's in great shape. It's definitely got a few years left in it.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
 on a cosmetic note, the 2 stone looks like a piece of kitchen equipment the blackstone looks like it needs to be hidden until use. but the blackstone can cook a beautiful pie!!!!  especially if you incorporate  some of the minor mods.i purchased a 2 stone on the pm.com deal, but have not used it yet.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
i purchased a 2 stone on the pm.com deal.
I didn't know that.  Larry, your new test kitchen could be a Forum destination.  Since these ovens (WFOs, Blackstone, 2Stone) are all outdoor ovens.  Call it "OOPS" for Ohio Outdoor Pizza Summit.    :D
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
I didn't know that.  Larry, your new test kitchen could be a Forum destination.  Since these ovens (WFOs, Blackstone, 2Stone) are all outdoor ovens.  Call it "OOPS" for Ohio Outdoor Pizza Summit.    :D
Dave
I would love to go to that one...Larry is top shelf.   8)