Author Topic: Are Caputo 00, Trumps or any other high protein/enriched flour best for WFO?  (Read 1436 times)

Online Chaze215

When I say best, I mean will other lesser grade flours (regular bread flours) burn or otherwise make the final product not very good? I see a lot of the posters on here like to use some of the mentioned flours etc...and I was wondering why. Thanks in advance!

Chaz
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:09:10 PM by Chaze215 »
Chaz

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
At the Texas Pizza Summit, Craig was using the Caputo 00, and Tom made 2 pizzas for breakfast Sunday using All Trumps.  All were cooked in Craig's wfo, running 850 to 900 on the floor.  Both were different, both very good.  It comes down to the style and crust profile that you want to eat/ bake.  But generally I would say that the 00 type flours are more popular in the wfo, because it takes extra heat to get the 00 dough to ever brown or leopard.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline scott123

Chaz, it depends on the style of pizza you're making and the number of minutes you're baking it for.

Bromated malted flours, such as All Trumps, are superior for NY style (4-6 minute bake, 600-700 floor), while unmalted 00 flours, such as Caputo, are superior for Neapolitan (45-90 seconds, 850-900 floor).

Online Chaze215

Thanks for the info guys. I dont have WFO (yet), but I was just curious and hope to get one sooner than later. If one was to bake a calzone or stromboli in a WFO with a floor of 600-900, would you use a Trumps or Caputo 00? Would a stromboli made with a simple bread flour burn and not cook on the inside at those temps? Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks again!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline scott123

Chaz, strombolis and calzones require lower temps to cook all the way through. You couldn't do either above 650, imo.   When you get into lower temps like this, malted bromated flours (like All Trumps) tend to perform better.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Thanks for the info guys. I dont have WFO (yet), but I was just curious and hope to get one sooner than later. If one was to bake a calzone or stromboli in a WFO with a floor of 600-900, would you use a Trumps or Caputo 00? Would a stromboli made with a simple bread flour burn and not cook on the inside at those temps? Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks again!

Chaz

I have never made a stromboli in the WFO, but I make calzones every bake. They are always the same flour as the pizzas, as in Naples, and I mostly use Caputo for that flour. They are cooked toward the mouth of the oven of where the floor is less hot. The calzones needs to be the same thinness as the pizzas you are cooking, and without giant areas of thick dough. They cook for around 2 minutes, and are finished inside the oven by spinning them fast so they don't burn on the bottom, and doming them. This give you the leoparding on the outside after the ingredients have cooked on the inside.

The traditional calzone made in naples has ricotta and cooked ham. I also place a few basil leaves inside and a thin drizzle of oil. The calzone has some air holes pulled at the top, and then is thinly sauced. A few drops of mozz go on top of that. In the oven.

The best tasting calzones come from a WFO, IMHO.

John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:23:23 AM by dellavecchia »

pizzapan