Author Topic: Question regarding adding Vital Wheat Gluten  (Read 1978 times)

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
Question regarding adding Vital Wheat Gluten
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:31:49 PM »
I have just recently started using KAAP for my pizzas and I am very happy with the improvement over Albertsons AP flour. Although I didn't know there was anything wrong with the latter, the former is quite different. I was happy to find the KAAP right next to the other flours in the market, however I would like to use KASL but it's not available in the market. Therefore, I just this weekend bought a box of Vital Wheat Gluten and added it to my flour (5 tsp for 5 cups (10.8 oz.) flour.) How close will this combination be to using KASL? Should I increase/decrease the amount of VWG and would a slight change in ratio make any difference?

Thank you all,
Dan

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Question regarding adding Vital Wheat Gluten
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:46:43 PM »
Dan,,

All of the King Arthur flours are of high quality, and generally better than the competing brands. I don't know what the protein content of the Albertson's AP flour is (the label isn't accurate enough to calculate the percent), but I am willing to bet that that the KAAP is higher than the Albertson's brand.

As far as use of vital wheat gluten is concerned, you would perhaps do better to supplement the KA bread flour, which is also sold at the retail level, rather than the KAAP. The gap between the KA bread flour and KASL is simply smaller. Supplementing either flour with VWG will help in certain respects, mainly in the chewiness of the crust and its color, but it won't help with improving crispiness to any significant degree. A KAAP or KA bread flour supplemented with VWG, even in the right quantity, will not be identical to the KASL.

I have entered several posts on the forum involving use of VWG to supplement other flours, mainly at the Lehmann thread, where I was trying to make NY style pizzas. You might find it helpful to take a look at one such post where I described my efforts to use both VWG and dried dairy whey to improve all-purpose flour for use in making the NY style dough. The post is Reply # 205, at page 11, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.200.html. I also describe there how to calculate how much VWG to use and how to incorporate it into the basic dough formulation. I usually use the calculated amount, but you can experiment with using a bit more or less to see how much improvement you achieve.

BTW, where do you live? Maybe there is a local bakery or foodservice distributor near you from whom you may be able to get the KASL. It is a better choice than using a flour supplemented with VWG.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 04:48:57 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:38:23 PM »
Pete,
Thanks for the reply. My first question, how in the world do you keep track of your almost 2 thousand posts to the point where you can include a reference in a response?? Some cataloging skills you must have.

I made an error in my original post regarding weights, probably a mute point since I included dry measurement of 5 cups but the weight of the flour used is 1lb, 10 oz. but I also used the five teaspoons of VWG in that mix so the actual flour weight would have been negligibly less. As stated previously, I am impressed with the KAAP and would love to try the KASL so I will make some phone calls tomorrow and see if I can locate a source for it in the L.A. area. I am curious, in your referenced post you mention the Mexican AP at 12.5% protein but then refer to the difference as 2.7%. Did you mean the MexAP to be 11.5% thus the 2.7% difference or would the actual difference be 1.7% (12.5 subtracted from 14.2)? BTW as you are probably aware, the KAAP is only 11.7% protein so I would guess you meant 11.5% on the MexAP. Anyway my addition of 5tsp per 5 cups comes from the VWG instructions for white flour and seem to be in-line with your recommendations.

How have your subsequent trips to your daughter-in-laws turned out? Have you left them craving for your return?

Dan

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:22:16 PM »
Dan,

I have been on the forum for quite a while and have read most of the posts since that time. And, as a Moderator, I am always checking things out at the site, which helps me remember where things are. That comes in handy when new members ask questions that have been asked many times before and also when they have used the search engine at the forum but couldn't find what they were looking for. What has also helped me out a lot is that I can remember keywords in posts quite well, even arcane and odd numbers. That helps when using the search engine.

You are correct in that I meant 11.5% rather than 12.5%. Thanks for catching the error. I have gone back and corrected it. When working with VWG, I tend to stick with my calculated values and weights rather than use the volumetric quantities specified on the label. I assume that the amounts recommended on labels will be on the high side. FYI, a teaspoon of VWG for most brands will weigh 0.103 ounces.

As for my daughter-in-law, I taught her how to make basic pizza dough and wrote out a few recipes for her to use. She doesn't need me any more, and she makes the pizzas most of the time. I have started to teach my 4-year old graddaughter how to make pizza dough. I measure out everything, and walk her through all the steps. She puts all the ingredients into the food processor and pushes all the buttons on command.

BTW, you might want to go to the King Arthur professional section of their website, at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/where.php, where you will note that there are a couple of distributors of the KA flours in the L.A. area. Most of their distributors carry the KASL but not all will sell on a cash and carry basis or they may have a high minimum. You will have to inquire. If they don't sell on a cash and carry basis, you might ask them if they can refer you to one of their accounts who may be able to get it for you.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 11:28:47 PM by Pete-zza »