Author Topic: Sauce spread by paintbrush...  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Sauce spread by paintbrush...
« on: October 25, 2005, 09:51:22 AM »
Went to the Brooklyn Pie Co. in Round Rock, TX, for lunch yesterday and bought a slice of pepperoni. It was pretty good, as usual.

I noticed how they were making their pies and it struck me a little funny because I'd never seen this before... they 'painted' the sauce (had the consistency of tomato paste) onto the laid out dough with a 6 inch paint brush.

Have you seen that done before?
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline CaliforniaPizzaGuy

• Jesus Christ, Family, Beach, AND PIZZA enough said
Re: Sauce spread by paintbrush...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 04:04:56 PM »
i seen it done here in california a few times, i thought it was a little strange to but the pizza was GREAT  :)

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:22:01 PM »
i seen it done here in california a few times, i thought it was a little strange to but the pizza was GREAT  :)

That makes a little more sense, because the owners are from Portland, OR. Maybe it's a west coast thing?

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 05:19:29 PM »
I've seen it at round table and a few other places that have the dough already docked and ready for sauce. It's fast and economical because they thinnly cover the dough evenly without any chunks or areas getting a bit more sauce. I'm not saying it's better...but it's probably cheaper since they use the minimum sauce to cover the pizza.

Offline Ttran778

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 02:25:34 AM »
That makes a little more sense, because the owners are from Portland, OR. Maybe it's a west coast thing?

Scratch that man. I WORK at BPC. Mark is from Ithica, NY and Christina is from Portland.

We use the brushes because ladel spreading sucks. Plus its faster.

Don't believe me? I can link you to our Myspace profile.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:28 PM »
I seen this frequently. They are usually 3 inch boar bristle brushes.

Drawback, sometime a bistle or two can break-off, especially as they age or if they are not properly cleaned and cared for. The higher quality brushes are less prone to breakage.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Dosperado

• Yes, I'm having pizza for lunch again. So? :)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 06:46:51 PM »
Interesting, I have a silicone bristle basting brush that might do the job, without risk of losing broken bristles. I use it for Olive oil, but I'm looking to try some sparsely topped pies, might have a go with the sauce.

Working on a summertime gas grill/pizza stone method to avoid the hot kitchen. So far, all edible, but consistancy all over the place. Need to slim the toppings I think.

btw, first post, sooooo much to read, I wish I could contribute some knowledge, but I'm in uptake mode :)
love the site, waiting on 6 in 1, playing with KASL dough recipes.
C:\DOS

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I have seen 2 main types of silicone bristle, heat resistant and non-heat resistent. My experiences revolve around House branded slicone brushes The have been difficult to clean as they tend to trap solids firmly within the center bristles, even when separating the bristles under high pressure hot water. So if you have a brand to recommend I like to hear about it.

I'm hiding indoors and avoiding the hot BBQ grill right now. It's 104F here... hotter than  >:D. Even with the oven on, I dont think I could match the heat out there.

Although..... :-\

I'm starting to wonder if the cconcerete is hot enough to develop a decent crust on a NY style pizza.  ;D

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Dosperado

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 06:26:02 PM »
Thanks Lydia.

I doubt much would get stuck in mine, it's very pliable and bristles are widely spaced. 15x4 bristle count, heads about 1 1/2 inch long and wide.

It's KitchenAid brand barbecue basting brush. I see the same one on Amazon for $15, but I believe I picked it up at BJ's wholesale for $7 or so. Should be heat resistant.

I'll let you know how it cleans up. Says dishwasher safe as well.

Currently raining and <70 degrees out, as usual. Record breaking rainfall continues.... thankfully pizza is comfort food :)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 09:06:07 PM »
Thanks again

I'll check it out

Lydia

Offline Dosperado

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
Just finished a pair of pies, two second squirt and the brush was clear of all bits and pieces.

btw, painting a pie with sauce can really bring out the artist in you, as long as you don't mind a round canvas and one color to work with.... I thought it was a delicious work of art none the less :)

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
Scratch that man. I WORK at BPC. Mark is from Ithica, NY and Christina is from Portland.

We use the brushes because ladel spreading sucks. Plus its faster.

Don't believe me? I can link you to our Myspace profile.

Uh... all I can tell you is what the guy behind the counter told me. If what you say is the case, then your coworkers need to get their facts straight. Right?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 04:47:05 PM by Ronzo »
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

pizzapan