Author Topic: Pizza night pics  (Read 1011 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Pizza night pics
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
A new beginning!

This week, I got my hands on a digital scale that works correctly, and also on a 5lb bag of KABF.

To get started, I decided to make my standby 2-ball recipe with the ability to take measurements that make sense, using KABF.  

KABF 200  100%
water 120  60%
milk 10     5%
sugar 8g    4%
salt 8      4%
oil 8       4%
yeast .05   1%
garlic .05  1%

dry mix flour & garlic & & sugar
mix milk & water & yeast
mix oil & salt

add sequentially, allowing yeast to prehydrate 10 min

mix until shaggy
rest 15
hand stretch & fold 2x
rest 30
hand stretch & fold 2x
ball and rest until doubled, reball & rest until doubled again
make individual balls (do not coat container with oil, use flour instead)
24hr cold rise, reballing once or as needed
warm 1 hr while oven heats
open gently

oven preheated using electric broiler on LO until stone top came to 630, then door opened for 5 minutes with broiler on HI.  Pizza loaded and baked with broiler back on LO for 3-4 minutes.  Not as much bottom char as I like, but everyone else loved it.

Pizza pictured is a sausage and pepp, cheesed with 50/50 brick mozz and jack.  Totally thumbs up on this attempt, even my wife ate a slice and admitted eventually "Well, it doesn't suck... this time."   :chef:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:21:36 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Pizza night pics
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
Very nice. It's great to have a supportive wife isn't it... :-D

I can tell from the kiddo that it didn't suck.

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
We're taking the leftovers to his best friend's house across the street today...  there was another pie, not pictured (batteries, bah) that had sauteed baby bellas (amazing flavor) under the cheese, sausage and black olives.  Between the 1st and 2nd pies, we have a whole pizza to share.   Going to reheat in situ on a round pan with OO.

If it stays in our fridge, there goes my dieting progress!

Offline FacciaPizza

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
Looks good. pillowy soft.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
Brian,

Glad to hear you have a digital scale that works well.  Your pizza looks tasty.  Good to also hear you got a “thumbs up” on that attempt.  :P Your child’s face says it all.  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
I think that crumb shot says it all, great looking pie Brian. Congrats on the scale.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
I agree with Bob, that crumbs looks realy nice... can you taste the garlic in your crumbs? I don't taste it when I add it in my dough, I really think it adds flavor without tasting garlicy.
Bert,

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »
I agree with Bob, that crumbs looks realy nice... can you taste the garlic in your crumbs? I don't taste it when I add it in my dough, I really think it adds flavor without tasting garlicy.

Thanks so much everyone!  There was a bare hint of garlic, only evident when eating the "bones".  To me, after having the reheated slice, it came out tasting almost exactly like a really good baguette style italian bread.  Crisp outer shell that crackles into flake and as your tooth goes through, you are met with an exceptional, bright flavor.  The inside of the crust unraveled on the tongue into long, dissolving filaments.  My mother-in-law tried a slice today.  She had this to say... "      ".  Her eyes just got real big and she wolfed the rest.   :D

Note on reheating:  I put the slices in a cast iron pan that had some mild chili oil spread on the bottom, then put them in the oven for 15 minutes @ 350.  Perfect.  The breadiness turned to crispiness.  It didn't seem like 3 day leftovers at all, but fresh, and tasted even better than it did to begin with.

I can't wait to make pizza again!  And guess what, thanks to C-Bob, I'm going to be playing with Ishy! (Ischian)  I'll get her reanimated this week and hopefully next weekend I'll be jumping up and down again. :chef:

pizzapan