Author Topic: 40-sec pie, a revelation  (Read 4983 times)

Offline bakeshack

40-sec pie, a revelation
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »
My oven was running really hot yesterday.  After baking some NY-style pies, the floor was around 700F, I just spread the coals on the floor and I just built a large fire on the side.  In less than 30 mins, the floor was up to 850-875 and was ready to bake with a really large fire almost covering the entire dome. 

I launched the pies and got this.  It was the best Margherita I've made and it was done in 40 secs.  This is the first time I've made a pie in less than 50 secs and I really love the extraordinary texture.  I love the 60-70 sec pie I usually make but this just seemed like everything came together, especially with the Margherita.  I did not plan on it but when I pulled the pies and looked at the timer, it was the fastest bake I've had and I will definitely do this again.

Marlon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: 40-sec pie, a revelation
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
Marlon - In my smaller oven I usually get 40 second pies. I understand your enthusiasm, as the texture is really appealing - especially with naturally leavened doughs. The bake takes great attention and requires a very large fire that is nearly lapping the other side of the dome.

The only variable that is not consistent with me is getting the cheese to melt properly. The moisture content plays a role as well as size, but I sometimes miss the mark.

Great looking pizzas!

John

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
That's awesome, one day I hope to bake pies in 40-60 seconds. Your crust looks pretty good and the rest of the pizza looks like it would dissolve when it hits the mouth. I like the amount of sauce you use, but what do you think would happen if you used twice as much sauce on those pies?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
what do you think would happen if you used twice as much sauce on those pies?

He'd have a soupy mess. It's pretty close to perfect as is, IMHO.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
Thank you John for the insight.  I was also trying out a new cheese brand and it worked out beautifully.  I all happens too fast and it will burn if you pull it out too late even by a few seconds.

I agree with Craig on the sauce.  I like it the way it is right now - soft but not soggy. 

Marlon

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
Wow, if those are not stellar looking pizzas, I do not know what is.

There is simply no substitute for a domed, WFO. There is just a look that cannot be mimicked on something like a LBE and the texture from the 40 second bake must be a real treat to be able to pull off whenever you want to.

That margherita is making me very hungry. The sauce amount is spot on.

Sick stuff! --K  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
 nice bake for 40 seconds,no gum lines. was it hard to control the bottom bake?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »
Wow, if those are not stellar looking pizzas, I do not know what is.

There is simply no substitute for a domed, WFO. There is just a look that cannot be mimicked on something like a LBE and the texture from the 40 second bake must be a real treat to be able to pull off whenever you want to.

That margherita is making me very hungry. The sauce amount is spot on.

Sick stuff! --K  :)

nice bake for 40 seconds,no gum lines. was it hard to control the bottom bake?

Thank you Kelly and Larry!  I only had to turn it 3x and I had to pull it out.  The bottom did not have any excessive char since I kept the floor at about the same temp as I usually do - between 825-850F.  It was perfect timing I guess with the size of the fire, the heat from the floor and sidewall - something that I have been working on for quite some time.  So you can imagine how excited I got when I pulled it out.  I had to stop and treat myself to a whole pie.   ;D

Marlon

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »
Really beautiful pie, The crumb structure is awesome!
Michael

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
Really beautiful pie, The crumb structure is awesome!

Thank you very much!

Offline David Deas

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
My oven was running really hot yesterday.  After baking some NY-style pies, the floor was around 700F, I just spread the coals on the floor and I just built a large fire on the side.  In less than 30 mins, the floor was up to 850-875 and was ready to bake with a really large fire almost covering the entire dome.  

I launched the pies and got this.  It was the best Margherita I've made and it was done in 40 secs.  This is the first time I've made a pie in less than 50 secs and I really love the extraordinary texture.  I love the 60-70 sec pie I usually make but this just seemed like everything came together, especially with the Margherita.  I did not plan on it but when I pulled the pies and looked at the timer, it was the fastest bake I've had and I will definitely do this again.

Marlon

These are very nice pies, man.

Its interesting because around the 40 second range I usually have to tear the cheese differently (basically into smaller than normal pieces) both so that it melts properly, and so that it reliably does not leave a gum-line somewhere beneath the cheese.  If I don't do that, its hit or miss with the gum lines at those temps.  

I like cheese that is torn larger, though, like in your pictures.  Have you noticed any gum beneath the cheese at 40 seconds or were they all as perfect as they looked?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:00:12 PM by David Deas »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
Thank you, David!  There was no gum line that I noticed underneath the cheese or anywhere around it. .  The cheese was about the size of a marble.  I like that size or sometimes just a tad bigger. 

Marlon

Offline moose13

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »
Man those look good!

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
Thank you John for the insight.  I was also trying out a new cheese brand and it worked out beautifully.  I all happens too fast and it will burn if you pull it out too late even by a few seconds.

I agree with Craig on the sauce.  I like it the way it is right now - soft but not soggy.  

Marlon

That looks like the amount of sauce that I like on my pizza, but I was training with a pizzaiolo from naples awhile back who liked to use A LOT of sauce, he also ate his pizzas with a knife and fork. Do you eat your pizzas with a knife and fork?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
That looks like the amount of sauce that I like on my pizza, but I was training with a pizzaiolo from naples awhile back who liked to use A LOT of sauce, he also ate his pizzas with a knife and fork. Do you eat your pizzas with a knife and fork?

One time I tried to put more sauce.  I personally didn't like it because it got really soggy and, IMHO, the balance that I liked in my pizza was lost.  I tried eating with a knife and fork and I didn't feel comfortable doing it.  I prefer folding it and eating it with my hands.  I guess it comes down to personal style and preference.  At least I tried it.  

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
Some pies I made last Thursday.  We have a good friend from San Antonio, Texas who comes here to Orange County every month for work and makes it a point to come to our house every time to have his pizza fix.  This guy is the classic pizza chain lover with all the meat, etc and I'm proud to say that I converted him to my pizza as soon as he got a taste of a freshly baked NP pie.  He said it was never the same for him after he ate my pizza.   :-D

I baked these right around 40-50 secs.  They bake really fast and it's good practice because it keeps me on my game or else they will burn in secs. 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
more

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Absolutely stunning! Beautiful pizze.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
Some of the best looking pies I've EVER seen. Ever!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
Marlon, let me guess, you're working at 60% hydration or below, correct?

pizzapan