Author Topic: Massť - Torre Annunziata - Naples  (Read 5409 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Massť - Torre Annunziata - Naples
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:36 AM »
As I mentioned some time ago, although still a share partner, Ciro Salvo is not longer working in the Salvo brothers pizzeria near Naples. Instead, for some time he has been the head Pizzaiolo in a nice Bar/Pizzeria in the town of Torre Annunziata, famous for Pasta production (e.g. Setaro) and where the Condurro family is said to have learnt their dough making tradition.

The place is called Massť and Ciro has recently got the owners to swap a prefab oven with a Forno Napoletano. I have personally received compliments from his fornaio on how good the new oven perform compared to the many he has used in his 30+ career and this is what makes it worth for me to get behind the Forno Napoletano project in the first place as my mission has always been having the best possible neapolitan oven to produce what I consider the best version of Pizza Napoletana.

Below are some pictures, all courtesy of Ciro Salvo himself:

(The second pizza is a Ciro Salvo's first combo, now already imitated and copied around, Zucchini's flowers and Conciato Romano cheese, if ever there should have been a copyright for a pizza, this should have been one)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:48:10 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Massť - Torre Annunziata - Naples
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »
What a stunning oven - the dining room is a perfect compliment as well. Such gentle and exquisite leoparding on those pies, which is hard to accomplish. You must be very proud of your ovens. I wonder what the temp/time is of the bake?

Do you mind if I copy the Conciato/Fiori di zucca combo in my backyard?

John

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »
Thanks, John,

Credit due to Ciro, who I consider the best by pizzamaker in the world by miles, as his dough is as perfect as it gets, but the satisfaction is to hear that this oven allow the type of cooking that he is looking for ..

I personally do not mind, just remember it was a Ciro's first ;-)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
 that is a beautiful oven. your portable ovens look so solidly built,they look all business. the restaurant and the outdoor dinning area is beautiful. that shot on the bay is picture perfect. is it unusual to place the basil post bake? 

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
that is a beautiful oven. your portable ovens look so solidly built,they look all business. the restaurant and the outdoor dinning area is beautiful. that shot on the bay is picture perfect. is it unusual to place the basil post bake? 

Thanks, when I first talked to the artisan master builder about doing a portable version for my consultancy foreign clients he was sceptic but I convinced him it was possible and he insisted not to compromise on the shape that affect performance.

If you see, some of the basil underneath was put before cooking but nowadays many add some further leaves after cooking

Online wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
wonderful to see Marco!  do most pizzarias there use sawn wood like that?  firewood must be hard to come by. 
thanks for posting,
bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
Wonderful looking spot and oven !! What  a view! So Glad you have opted for a portable version of this Beautiful Oven Marco. I also like to see the traditional wooden dough boxes. Very nice comments from a true Master. How long has Ciro been doing the Zucchinni Flower pizza?  A lady friend from Naples (not a pizza maker of any sort ) gave me this recipe for the  squash flower pizza as well (no cheese) this summer here in New Jersey. She did not speak much english, I wonder if she knew of his creation?  Although I bake pizza in a small pre cast mobile oven  :'(  it was very interesteing and came out pretty good.
 My goal is to call you someday  for a quote on a Forno Napoletano  ;)
Thanks for posting!
John
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:27:18 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 03:42:16 AM »
On wood:

There are several thousands of wood fired pizzeria in Naples and adjurning towns and there are two/three major suppliers of wood. It is a serious industry and wood has always more or less been cut to specific size for the job. recently, one of the supplier, came up with something called on the lines of "wood box", where the wood is perfectly squared and cut evenly to help storage in the box. At Massť they are using these but I have not seen it in the city centre even from clients of the same supplier.

John:
Ciro has been doing a version with Zucchini flowers for a while, but the Conciato combination is pretty recent. Zucchini flowers have had a place in pizzeria for ever, mostly preparaed as a snack, filled with ricotta, dipped in a batter and deef fried. Recently they have appeared as pizza topping more often, but when I did the consultancy job in 2008 in Argentina and did a version with Zuc Flowers, ricotta and a special herb (all from specific seeds varierty shipped months earlier), I had never seen Zucchini flower as pizza topping.

I'll be hoping for that call, even if many others on this forum have said suimilar things only for later doing other things :-(

Ciao

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »
More pictures directly from Ciro Salvo:

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »
Is Ciro using natural leavening or fresh yeast?

John

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Fresh yeast, a mix of flours including an organic one and a very long slow leaving process. At times he uses a natural leaven.

I am busy right know and need to find a less provocative way to address the issue, but my next post on pizzamaking will be exactly about the use of either yeast and why most people should stick with one of them..

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »
I am busy right know and need to find a less provocative way to address the issue, but my next post on pizzamaking will be exactly about the use of either yeast and why most people should stick with one of them..

I look forward to that post.

I also find it interesting that Ciro is using a blend of flours. I thought that pretty much everyone in Naples used commercial (Caputo mostly) flour made specifically for Neapolitan handling and temps. Blending seems to be something that could be the next "big thing" in that regard. Almost the way Bonci is mixing things in Rome for pizza in teglia.

John

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:34 AM »
Pizzaioli in Naples lhave often blended flours to get to their desired product depending on the seasons, temperatures etc...

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
wen ni Naples i asked about flour's.... and some said they like one brand, the other said they like the other brand... and some said they like a blend of flour's for longer fermentation, and as Marco said, a blend with organic called Petra.

http://www.farinapetra.it/Benvenuto/Petra.html
http://www.farinapetra.it/Benvenuto/Home.html

Unfortunately i was not able to meet Ciro in person, but i have talked to him on FB chat a couple of times...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline FuocoPizza

• FuocoPizzeria
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:40 AM »
Had one of my top 5 best Pizzas at Salvo in San Giorgo Cremano...

Those pizzas in the pics dont look half bad!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 05:10:46 AM »
I know there has been reference to this blog before somewhere, but a nice review of Ciro Salvo @ Massť can be found here:
http://andiamotrips.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/a-pizza-with-ciro.html

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »
Nice Video of the Master in action and the oven....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-krkQYjRvgs&amp;sns=em" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-krkQYjRvgs&amp;sns=em</a>

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
Beautiful pies.  Thanks for sharing that. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 11:09:57 PM »
A certain percentage of Ciro's dough is whole wheat, correct?  Does anyone know the percentage?

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »
A certain percentage of Ciro's dough is whole wheat, correct?  Does anyone know the percentage?

Not necessarily. He has played with it but not normally does it. It was minimal, just trying o give a different flavour profile.

pizzapan