Author Topic: Looking for a chewy base recipe (Pizza Hut stuffed crust style)  (Read 979 times)

Offline MrH

I absolutely love the chewy texture of the crust on a Pizza Hut stuffed crust and I was wondering if there's a beginner friendly recipe to produce similar results? The pizzas are actually pretty thin but the crust is really quite dense and chewy and I just love it. I don't have a mixer so a hand friendly recipe would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Looking for a chewy base recipe (Pizza Hut stuffed crust style)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
MrH,
Boy....if I knew the answer to that one I would be retired in the South of France somewhere and have my personal assistant Miss Michelle text you ......good luck my friend!
You can try the American section though....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:47:41 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MrH

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:36:38 AM »
MrH,
Boy....if I knew the answer to that one I would be retired in the South of France somewhere and have my personal assistant Miss Micheal text you ......good luck my friend!
You can try the American section though....

I've been looking but can't seem to find anything, is the recipe really that top secret then? I mean it doesn't have to be exact, I'm just after a nice, soft and chewy dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:46:54 AM »
Well, I do know that there are some PH recipes over there an some look really good...they have the traditional pan thing down real good.
 You have to realize that it is hard to keep up with the chain peoples recipes/styles...they change seeming with the wind if you know what I mean....what is the favorite flavor this month anyway btw ?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
H;
You might give this one a shot to see if it comes close to what you are looking for.
Flour:(high gluten/protein) Think General Mills All Trumps. 100% (500-grams)
Salt: 2% (10-grams)
Sugar: 2% (10-grams)
Olive oil: 1% (5-grams)
Yeast (active dry yeast): 0.5% (2.5-grams)
Water: 56% (280-grams)
Note: Take about 50-grams/ml of the water and warm it to 100F, put the ADY into the warm water to hydrate it (about 10-minutes) then add this to the remainder of the water (70F) and pour into the mixing bowl, add the flour, then the salt and sugar and begin stirring with a wood spoon, when the dough gets too stiff to continue stirring, remove the spoon, add the olive oil and continue mixing by hand for about 2-minutes. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover to prevent drying and set aside to ferment for 2-hours. Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured counter top and knead just a few times until the dough feels elastic. Place back into the oiled bowl and allow to ferment for another hour. Turn the dough out of the bowl and cut into two pieces. Lightly form each piece into a ball and set aside to proof until the dough balls can be easily opened into pizza skins (about an hour), or lightly oil the dough balls and place into individual plastic bags, twist the open end to close, forming a pony tail, tuck the pony tail under the dough ball as you place it into the fridge. The dough will be ready to use on the following day. To use, just remove the dough from the fridge, and allow it to temper AT room temperature for about an hour, then turn it out of the bag into a bowl of dusting flour, and begin opening the dough into pizza skins.
Note: If you cannot get a suitably high protein content flour, like All Trumps (14%), use the best flour you can get, and add wheat gluten to it (available at most supermarkets). The amount of gluten to add will be 5% of the flour weight. Just be sure to dry blend the gluten into the flour before adding it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MrH

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »
Thanks, hopefully I can try that out sometime this week.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:38:19 PM by MrH »