Author Topic: Latest Attempt  (Read 372 times)

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
Latest Attempt
« on: September 23, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
I've finally got 5 minutes free to post the results of my latest attempt from a few weeks ago. I tried to take ample notes and pics. As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated...

My dough was made following Craig's technique. Caputo, 60% hydration, 2.9% salt, 1.5% starter. This batch of dough went for 48 hours (24 bulk, 24 balled) at 60 degrees.

The last few times I've made dough, I've felt my starter was incredibly active so I've been slowly lowering the temperature of my mini-fridge-turned-dough-proofing-box. A few days before making my dough, I put a bowl of water in the fridge and set it for 60 degrees. After 12 hours, the water was 60-61 when measured with a digital thermometer. 

This batch of dough appeared to ferment faster than I had planned. I will be honest. I don't know exactly what perfectly-proofed dough looks like. That said, I think mine had gone too fast at the 48 hour point. I aggressively feed my starter for a few days before I make my dough. Rather than mess with trying to manipulate my starter, I would rather adjust time and temperature based on my starter. The 48 hour ferment works great for my schedule. That means figuring out the temp needed to make it all work.

This was the lowest hydration I've ever tried. It was nice working with slightly "dryer" dough. I don't know that I would ever be able to taste the difference between 62% and 60%, certainly not with me making the pizzas! I will stick with 60% until I have a reason to change.

I lit my oven 3 hours before the first pie went in. Based on what I've read and experience, I wanted to try and make the oven cook similarly from the first pizza to the last. When my first pie went in, my floor was 800-875. The wall closest to the pizza (furthest from the fire) was 900 degrees. My dome was +1,000. My thermometer is maxed out above that. All of my pies cooked in the 45-60 second range. I was really surprised at how fast they cooked because I've never actually timed one.

My sauce was San Marzano tomatoes that I got duped on. I thought they were from Italy. Thanks to our B.S. labeling laws, they are actually grown and canned in the U.S. Won't buy them again.

My two sources of Buffalo Mozzarella have both stopped selling it. I need to go hit Whole Foods in Napa and check. In the meantime, this mozzarella is the best substitute I can find. It's quite creamy for being made with cows milk. It just doesn't melt as smoothly (or my technique needs adjusting).

Pics in the next post...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:01:07 AM by rrweather »

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Latest Attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:03:04 AM »
Dough Pics. Definitely the most fermented/rise I've had to date despite being at 60 degrees for all 48 hours.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »
Spicy Margarita. Bottom is darker than I would prefer. With cook times being less than 60 seconds and my oven being limited in space, I'm not sure what I can do to prevent some of the blackening. Luckily there was no detectable burnt taste or flavor.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:52 AM »
Prosciutto and Mascarpone. The thick cream flavor was nice with the tomato sauce. Almost tasted like cream cheese, which happens to be one of the best tasting things on the planet.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
Pancetta, sauteed onions, shaved parmigiano and romano cheese. Turned out great and will now be a regular...

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:17:28 AM »
Looks great!  I might have missed it but what oven do you have?

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 12:18:17 AM »
So the bottoms are all darker than I would prefer. It seems like by the time the pizzas are able to be moved, the bottom is this dark. All of the pies were domed for the last 15 second or so while being rotated.

Based on the feedback I got when I asked about excessive charring, I was generous with the use of flour. This made working the dough a lot easier and less stressful since I wasn't worried about the flour burning. In the past, is was obvious when the flour burned as there was a noticeable bitter flavor. I really tried to stretch these pies out as thin as I could get them before having "break-through." My flattening definitely needs work. I've watched just about every video I could find on youtube showing dough being prepared. I'm a lot better than I was when I first started. There is still room for improvement.

This coming weekend, we have a family pizza party planed after my daughter's first birthday party. We will be feeding 11 adults, plus making a couple of extra pizzas to take to my local wine bar to share. We plan on making our favorite, Pork Belly and shallot, as well as a few others. 

I am making dough Thursday night. Any feedback and/or help I can get will be put to great use this weekend! Thanks,

Randy

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 12:18:39 AM »
Looks great!  I might have missed it but what oven do you have?

Sorry, Primavera 70.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 02:39:14 AM »
This would eliminate all you problems right away if you feel its annoying with charred bottoms.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22618.260
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:41:21 AM by fagilia »

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that post. I will have to read through it when I have more time. Essentially the idea is to out some kind of unglazed terra cotta tiles down and bake the pizza on them?

Offline fagilia

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 11:07:46 AM »
Yes more or less. You will figure out the best way for you.
If your dome is high then no worries having 1 inch tiles i guess.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 11:30:48 AM »
Would a pizza stone work as a substitute for tile? My initial search doesn't show any unglazed tile available locally. If I have to order a box of tile online, I could order a pizza stone.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
If the conductivity of the stone is good then its good.
In my tests nothing worked really well but terra cotta where there is a large portion of air in the stone working as insulator of some sort. Low duty fire bricks would work especially those used by shuboyje.
the pizza stone will crack so in some way you would have to hold it together.
depending on how you launch pizzas you will have to find a way to make it stick.
If it was me i would just make a test and if i liked it i would cover the whole floor.
it is offcourse a big job but personally i have not regret it.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »
Is the floor in my oven not low duty firebrick? I'm guessing adding another layer would insulate the floor better. Just trying to grasp all of this.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
Ok.
Probably the conductivity of your floor is around 1,0. Members here have used firebrick with conductivity of 0,6 with good results. Shuboyje is one example.
There are different brands of firebricks thus different conductivity. The lower the number the lower the conductivity.
Generally 1,0 seems to be a bit high for Pizza Napoletana from what i have read here.
My floor was 1,2 and it just burnt the bottom in no time.
In Sweden you cant get a hold of firebrick with low conductivity and therefore i hade to find other ways and so i found my terra cotta.
There is no proof that all terra cotta is good as a floor in the oven though. It i just one example of a ceramic with low conductivity.
Craig Thinks his floor is even lower than 0,6 and he has a real oven. Biscotti Sorrento (floors in authentic ovens) probably have some insulating features. That is my guess.

The only advice i can give is to try different ceramics and see what is good if you want to go down this road. It is time consuming though but it solves the problem.
Or you can get a hold of the brand with low conductivity like Whitacre Greer  You can probably find it as thin bricks.

Another layer with 1.0 will not insulate or help so much, only little. Me and members here had many thoughts about this prior to my tests. The results show that 500 degree celcius is heating up Everything very fast.
My floor heats up almost as fast as the firebrick under it.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the information. I will try doing some more research. I don't know what other options I have if the floor is too hot. Thanks again.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
I ordered some tiles. I have no idea what kind of conductivity they have. I'm going to lay them in place and cook pizzas on them. If they work, I will mortar them in. If not, they were $34 shipped so I'm not out a lot of money. Hopefully they will be here in a week or so.

pizzapan