Author Topic: Pizzaiolo training courses  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Nicola Sturgess

• I Love Pizza!
Pizzaiolo training courses
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:14:05 AM »
Has anyone trained with the AVPN in Naples or with the Americas version in Marina del Rey?

Online Sukillavaan

• Pizzaiolo trapped in a salary man's body
Re: Pizzaiolo training courses
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »
Hi Nicola,

I went to AVPN training in Naples last May. To put it briefly, it was very useful training course and I would recommend it for sure.

You will not become a master pizzaiolo in less than 2 weeks (unless you alreary are one), however you will learn all the basics in "right way" and the training will provide you with a good base for further development on your own. The downside is of course the price tag (course fee, flights, accommodation), however if you love Naples and neapolitan pizza (like I do) it will be worth every euro.

If you have any specific question, let me know!

/Mikko
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:50:03 AM by Sukillavaan »

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 04:36:03 AM »
Which hydration % do they recommend at the course? If you dont mind sharing can you write the dough recipe?

Do they speak english in the lessons? How much did you pay for the course?

Online Sukillavaan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »
Hi!

Well, it was hot & humid during the training and we consistently had 20+ hours leavening times (we prepared the dough balls in the of the day for the next day's hands-on training) so we used very small amounts of yeast and relatively high amounts of flour. Depending on the flour used (we tried Caputo Blue, Polselli and 5 Stagioni) the amount was in range 1800 - 1900 g, the yeast amount was only 0,1 - 0,2 g and the salt amount 50 - 55 g for 1 liter of water. I know, the flour & yeast amounts or the leavening time are not at all in line with the official AVPN recipe :D But that's how it is, you should always adapt the recipe for the prevailing circumstances. (Just as a side note, I am following the official AVPN recipe when baking pizza at home and applying 8 - 12 hours leavening time, and it works very well in my opinion.)

I quess in most cases the Maestro Pizzaiolos do not speak much english (in our training 1 out of 2 did) but they will arrange interpretor. And the AVPN secretary does speak english. The price is 1750 plus 250 for the interpretor. It is all here:

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/Training%20UK.pdf

/Mikko

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »
Is 0,1 - 0,2 g less than 1 g? I guess it would be for 20+ hours

So after mixing, did they do a bulk rise before balling the doughs? If so, how long?

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
Is 0,1 - 0,2 g less than 1 g? I guess it would be for 20+ hours

So after mixing, did they do a bulk rise before balling the doughs? If so, how long?

0.1 or 0.2 gr fresh yeast for 1 liter of water would be 40+ hours at ambient temperature
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:19:36 AM by pizzadaheim »

Online Sukillavaan

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »
After mixing we did a bulk rise of 1 - 2 hours, depending on how much time we had left each day (sometimes we were in a hurry so we could not wait for 2 hours before staglio a mano). As I mentioned in my previous post it was HOT in Naples, that's why we ended up using very small amounts of fresh yeast.

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
Can you tell us what did they teach about firing the wood fired oven? Did they name any company?

Online Sukillavaan

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »
Firing the wood fired oven was teached very briefly.

AVPN has two Mario Acunto ovens at their training premises, however we visited Gianni Acunto factory during the training.

Offline sub

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
Depending on the flour used (we tried Caputo Blue, Polselli and 5 Stagioni) the amount was in range 1800 - 1900 g
Play-Doh training course !  :-X

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »
I actuall wouldnt care about dough formulation which they show in the course. Here in this forum and in the other italian forum La Confraternita della pizza there is lots of good information about preparing neapolitan dough. The most important part FOR ME would be firing and using the wood fired neapolitan oven.

I guess if i paid Ciro Salvo 2000 euros instead of pizza course , he would let me watch and work in in his pizzeria 50 kalo for a month  ;D

Offline pizzeoli

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 10:47:31 PM »
I trained in Los Angeles at AVPN for 3 days last summer before opening my place. I thought it was excellent however its just the beginning as another post said. In reality it was a great start, that was about it, I learned the most by doing. We are open a year now and I am continuing to learn and improve. Its a journey that never ends. 

Offline Nicola Sturgess

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »
i am doing the course at the moment - its been amazing  - big learning curve.  Having a few problems getting the pizza off the peel and into the oven with out it losing shape.  Or worse still getting stuck.  Practical exam tomorrow and i have to cook a margarita and marinara - any hints?!

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 02:19:21 AM »
Look for Videos of Vito iacopelli in YouTube. He shows some good Tricks like how to get the  pizza on the Peel, placing pizza in the oven, turning pizza in the oven ...

Offline NorthernPIzza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 02:48:10 AM »
Hi Nicola,

We did a ton of research on what school to go to and eventually decided to go with Ellie Olson at www.woodfiredovenbaker.com
We did 5 days of training ,8 hours per day in a large commercial kitchen set up for the school.
 We had to learn fast as we only had 5 days, but we did cover a LOT of ground.
The price was very good, the training was detailed, the trainer spoke english, the trainer was/is available to answer questions after you get home from training. I would highly HIGHLY recommend going to Ellie's school.

PS. Ellie is also an importer of Italian Pizzeria equipment so she has vast knowledge on what equipment to buy IF your opening a restaurant. Because of this job, she knows many of the top Neapolitan Pizzeria restauranteurs in North America and can get details on how each restaurant operates a little different and why. Very cool !

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Offline NorthernPIzza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 02:50:00 AM »
I trained in Los Angeles at AVPN for 3 days last summer before opening my place. I thought it was excellent however its just the beginning as another post said. In reality it was a great start, that was about it, I learned the most by doing. We are open a year now and I am continuing to learn and improve. Its a journey that never ends.

We've been following your pizza restaurant on social media for a while now, very inspiring

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 09:50:01 PM »
Cool Northern! Glad to Hear you enjoyed the " Ellie Course" I have helped her teach a few of them and also still work with her selling various pizza equipment, and those beautiful Mario Acunto ovens !
That's part of the reason I am listed as a vendor :)  She knows her stuff as well as most of the pizza world people.
She lets me handle all the inquiries on here as far as oven, as I have been Kicking around for a while now :)
By the way We have stock on All sizes of the Mario Acutno  right Now at the warehouse! that's rare.
Anyone interested is welcome to reach out to me via PM or for info on training I am glad to help !
Thanks again for the training write up !

John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan