Author Topic: Bay Area Neopolitan  (Read 5428 times)

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
Re: Bay Area Neopolitan
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2014, 12:32:20 AM »
Tonight's pie... this dough was slated to be baked yesterday, but plans change so I reballed it and hoped for the best. I was preparing myself for disaster but the dough held up and performed pretty well.

My usual:
100% Caputo "00"
67% Spring Water
3% Kosher Salt
5% Camaldoli

270g balls mixed by hand until uniform and kneaded for a few minutes, then two slap-and-fold sessions on 20 minute intervals. The bulk lasted 48 hours then 24 hours balled, all at 60F. Was supposed to be 24/24 but plans changed and I let the bulk go longer. I have another ball which I retarded in the fridge which I'll try to cook tomorrow.

Toppings are a mix of Burrata and Fresh Mozzarella from Belfiore, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Locatelli Pecorino Romano, red onions, EVOO, then post-bake Arugula dressed with salt, pepper, EVOO, and Meyer lemon zest & juice.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:36:36 AM by MotoMannequin »

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2014, 03:24:51 AM »
Tonight's pie... this dough was slated to be baked yesterday, but plans change so I reballed it and hoped for the best. I was preparing myself for disaster but the dough held up and performed pretty well.

My usual:
100% Caputo "00"
67% Spring Water
3% Kosher Salt
5% Camaldoli

270g balls mixed by hand until uniform and kneaded for a few minutes, then two slap-and-fold sessions on 20 minute intervals. The bulk lasted 48 hours then 24 hours balled, all at 60F. Was supposed to be 24/24 but plans changed and I let the bulk go longer. I have another ball which I retarded in the fridge which I'll try to cook tomorrow.

Toppings are a mix of Burrata and Fresh Mozzarella from Belfiore, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Locatelli Pecorino Romano, red onions, EVOO, then post-bake Arugula dressed with salt, pepper, EVOO, and Meyer lemon zest & juice.

Boom!  Looks awesome Larry, doesn't look like it lost anything for going long.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »
Thanks Craig! The post-bake oil was actually Calabrian chili oil  :drool: which, thanks to you, is now one of the 4 major food groups at our house.

That I can sign on to.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2014, 01:21:24 AM »
Boom!  Looks awesome Larry, doesn't look like it lost anything for going long.

Yep, thanks Dylan. I feel like I'm getting it dialed in.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2014, 01:25:18 AM »
This was the 2nd ball that went 48 hours bulk at 60F, 24 hours in the fridge, then another 24 hours at 60F. Not the best texture, and it seemed like the dough ball was starting to form a tough skin. I honestly didn't think this was going to stretch without tearing, but I managed to make a pie of it.

Toppings were Burrata & fresh Mozz from Belfiore, Parmigiano-Reggiano, EVOO, red onions, Calabrian chiles, basil, salt-packed anchovies, and a mix of olives. The Belfiore Burrata had a really nice texture.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
YUM..... :drool:

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2014, 03:23:13 AM »
Pizza Margherita tonight: My usual dough 100% Caputo "00" Chef's Flour, 67% Spring Water, 5% Camaldoli, 3% Kosher Salt, 24 hours bulk/24 hours balled. Solania San Marzanos from Costco, Fior di Latte from Belfiore, local EVOO, fresh basil, and Calabrian chiles. Cooked untimed on the Blackstone.

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
Very good Margherita  ;) ;)

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
Love to see Your pizza from the future WFO ;D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
Really look nice.. yum... ;D

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2014, 02:35:46 AM »
We had a few friends over last night for pizza and the 49ers game. The game sucked but at least we had pizza...

Dough was my usual but all the quantities up to make 8 dough balls, and mixed in my Kitchenaid instead of by hand:
Caputo "00" Chef's Flour 1280g (100%)
Spring Water 858g (67%)
Kosher Salt 38.4g (3%)
Camaldoli Starter at about 70% hydration 65g (5%)

Dissolved the Camaldoli in the water using the KA whisk, and beat it until frothy, then added the salt and continued to whisk until dissolved. Switched to the spiral hook and added the flour, mixed for about 2 minutes to combine then another 5. Did 3 slap-and-folds on 20-minute intervals, then bulk ferment for about 12 hours at cool room temp (probably mid-60s). Balled each 275g and used about 36 hours later. All cooked untimed on the Blackstone between 800-850F

#0 Did a little shopping in our garden
#1 Margherita using Alta Cucina tomatoes and Garafola Mozzarella di Bufala
#2 Rosa (red onions, Parmigiana-Reggiano, EVOO, and fresh rosemary)
#3 Mozzarella di Bufala, ricotta, EVOO, arugula
#4 Wild mushrooms and artichokes fire roasted with garlic and thyme, Tallegio, Fontina, and gremolata added post-bake.
#5 Margherita encore
#6 Rosa encore

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2014, 06:49:14 AM »
WOW Larry ! very good pizza margherita  :chef: :chef:

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2014, 09:39:04 AM »
You can do without football when  you have pizzas like these. You've definitely got that Blackstone doing somersaults.  Amazing.  Great photos too.  Thanks for sharing them. 

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
You can do without football when  you have pizzas like these. You've definitely got that Blackstone doing somersaults.  Amazing.  Great photos too.  Thanks for sharing them.

^^^
Larry, your pies look awesome.  I am so impressed - you and your Blackstone have not been around for long - you are creating outstanding results that I aspire to creating.  And, "it is not the violin, it is the violinist."  Great job making that Blackstone sing!

Question: Are there pistachios on the Rosas?  (I think there are, but cannot tell for sure).  If so, do you have any burning issues.  I have read in a couple of postings that they burn easily and you have to put them on partway through the cook.

BTW, I just checked out your website.  Beautiful photography, too! 

- Mitch
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:06:38 AM by mitchjg »

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
Thanks Sauzer, TinRoof, and Mitch!

And Mitch, thanks so much for checking out my web site.  :D

For the Rosa, I put the pistachios on about a minute into the bake. The base has to be pretty well set because I pull the pie out to toss the pistachios. Tried to throw them onto the rotating platter once, and it didn't land well. :-[
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:16:46 PM by MotoMannequin »

pizzapan