Author Topic: Beginner needing a neapolitan dough recipe  (Read 587 times)

Offline RickPetralia

• I Love Pizza!
Beginner needing a neapolitan dough recipe
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »
I'm looking for a great tasting Neapolitan dough recipe that is easy to stretch.  Any suggestions?  While I am new to Neapolitan pizza, I am not new to cooking so the required skill level can be relatively high.  Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Beginner needing a neapolitan dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »
What sort of oven will you be using?
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline RickPetralia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
Convential Oven at home with pizza stone

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »
Traditional Neapolitan pizza can not be made at home in a conventional oven. You need 800+ degrees and home ovens aren't reaching those temps.
Chaz

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Beginner needing a neapolitan dough recipe
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »
I agree on the oven issue, but this link has the official VPN recipe if you want to try it in your oven.

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/VPN%20disciplinare%20english.pdf

Another:

http://www.ilariasperfectrecipes.com/vera-pizza-napoletana-neapolitan/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:32:51 PM by PrimeRib »

Offline jhorace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »
Try this recipe. I had a wood burning oven built a while back, but before that had been experimenting with how to make a good Neapolitan in the home oven. This recipe has some modifications that can help make a better Neapolitan at lower temps... The process is long, but the combination of that long process and the dough blend I found over time can help overcome the lack of a 700F oven. Give it a try!!

Dough (provides enough for two 14 inch shells):

13.875oz (75%) Caputo Tippo 00 "Blue" Pizzeria flour

4.625 oz (25%) King Arthur Sir Lancelot high protein  wheat flour (or other high protein flour, but must be at least 13.5% protein; KA is 14% so a great choice)

1Tbsp King Arthur Dough Improver

3t Kosher or Natural Sea Salt

2/3t IDY

11oz warmed water ( 57% hydration). Note: never use tap water if your water is chlorinated as it inhibits yeast activity. This is particularly important for this recipe, which requires a long period of good yeast activity. (pure Adirondack water with very little chlorine is a major part of why NY pizza's an bengals are so great!!!)

Sauce (enough for two 14 inch pizzas)

2 x 28oz Imported Italian San Marzano D.O.P or Escalon 6 in1 domestic whole plum tomatoes (don's skimp here! Use authentic Italian San Marzano or the 6 in 1 domestics for the best possible pizzeria-quality flavor. Unlike others, these varieties are vine-repined, picked and packed in a way that makes them the gold standard for basic no-cook fresh tasting pizza sauces )
Separate the whole tomatoes and reserve the residual puree left in the can.
Remove core, hand crush, and then press gently through a strainer to remove most of the moisture from the whole tomatoes
Then, return pressed tomato fleshes back to the puree that was retained
1Tbsp olive oil
1 clove Garlic (1 large or 2 small)
1/2tsp Salt
1 tsp fresh oregano (fresh is better, but an substitute 3/4tsp dried instead)
1/4t fresh ground black pepper
mix all together and let sit at room temp for at least 1 hour before bake time

Cheese: (for each pizza)

10 oz good quality buffalo mozzarella, sliced to ~1/2 inch thick, paper towel dried to remove some of the excess moisture

Cheese Variation for Di Fara's of Brooklyn:

2 oz buffalo mozz, sliced to ~1/2 inch thick, paper towel dried
7 oz whole milk, low moisture Mozzarella, sliced not grated
light sprinkle of Parmesan on top of prepared pizza

Method: The method of mixing and rising the dough is quite important to a perfect Neapolitan crust. Most importantly is the 24+ hour rise. Do not skip this or cut corners here, or you WILL be disappointed!

hand-mix the dough (I have had better results with hand-mixing this recipe instead of using the dough hook; its a more delicate dough, so hand mixing helps preserve the texture), knead to get the dough just smooth (2-3min or so)

place in an air tight bowl (plastic wrap with towel on top will do), and then let it warm rise 3-4 hrs
After the 3-4 hour rise, punch down once but do not knead
Divide into two balls, separate and put each in air tight container. Container should be made of glass or food grade plastic and allow for 2x volume growth of each dough ball
refrigerate at least 24 hrs (48 - 72 is even better if you have the time)
remove from fridge 2-3 hrs prior to use to bring to room temp
form dough balls into shape of a hockey puck and let rise on floured counter top with towel over top
pre-heat baking stone on the lower rack of your oven set at highest temp - pre-heat for 550F (at least 1 hour to assure it is fully heated and will retain the heat through cooking 2 pies)
hand-form each dough balls into  two 14 inch round crust shells, leaving thick outer rolled up ridge (~1/2 to 1 inch thick)  on the crust.

Important: do not use a rolling pin for this recipe - hand form it. Using a rolling pin will destroy the delicate rise structure and result in a dense crust.

carefully move formed shell to a dusted wooden pizza peel
spread 1/2 the sauce yielded from the above recipe onto the shell (more or less depending on taste)
place cheese slices like "islands" on top of sauce, not covering the whole pizza
add other toppings if desired..... but keep it light. Neapolitan traditionalists will argue no more than just sauce, cheese and basil has any business on this style pie!!
Turn the oven down to 450F and place pizza onto the heated stone.
should bake in 10-12 min, but check at 7 or 8 minutes
if not completely done (i.e. with nice browning and char flecks on the outer crust edges)  finish by turning on broiler, carefully moving up to the the second from top oven rack,  and watching closely.

Good Luck!!
John

pizzapan