Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza in Cape Town  (Read 383 times)

Offline Napels in Cape Town

• I Love Pizza!
Neapolitan Pizza in Cape Town
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:36:20 AM »
Good day everyone on the wonderful forum

My name is Leon and Iím from Cape Town South Africa.

For the past year Iíve been absorbing everything on this forum regarding Neapolitan Pizza and the one thing that stands out is how unselfish and giving everyone is with their knowledge and experience. I think it is an ode to the pizza. Like Roberto Caporuscio said: It is the only food where a rich and poor man can sit next to each other and enjoy a meal.

Iím currently researching the viability and feasibility of opening a Neapolitan Pizzeria in Cape Town. As we are at the most southern point of Africa one would understand getting the ingredients needed is not only cumbersome but also very expensive. Iíve been able to get quotes for the oven (Stefano Ferraro and Mario Acunti Ė both mobile) and although very expensive to import (shipping costs is mad!) it seems possible. Iíve also located the only importer and distributor of Caputo flour. Iíve also managed to find a guy who in 2008 imported 30 Water Buffalo from Campania and is willing to sell me my Bufala and another company the Fior di Latte.
My biggest problem at this stage is getting hold of San Marzano tomatoes. The DOP tomatoes I can buy from a local distributor(DeCecco) is so expensive it will kill my food cost instantly. Itís a small Italian Deli selling the small cans only as a delicacy. I tried mailing other San Marzano suppliers in Italy to find out if they export to South Africa but is yet to have success.
If this forum can assist me at all (contacts etc) in finding tomatoes it will be greatly appreciated.
(I have also posted on PMQ)

As a matter of interest: Attached is the first oven I built. Please take into consideration this was on our farm (150kms from the nearest town). Itís very small, built with normal bricks we didnít use after renovating and a mixture of cement and clay from the farm. The inside (top and bottom) is two modified washing machine drums and the deck a 2cm stainless steel plate. After heating top and bottom for about an hour and a half, we cooked pizzas, although one at a time, in about 3 minutes. It was a lot of fun and great family time as everyone gets a chance to be the ďPizzaioloĒ!

Regards

Leon

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan Pizza in Cape Town
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:22:34 AM »

For the past year Iíve been absorbing everything on this forum regarding Neapolitan Pizza and the one thing that stands out is how unselfish and giving everyone is with their knowledge and experience. I think it is an ode to the pizza. Like Roberto Caporuscio said: It is the only food where a rich and poor man can sit next to each other and enjoy a meal.

Iím currently researching the viability and feasibility of opening a Neapolitan Pizzeria in Cape Town. As we are at the most southern point of Africa one would understand getting the ingredients needed is not only cumbersome but also very expensive. Iíve been able to get quotes for the oven (Stefano Ferraro and Mario Acunti Ė both mobile) and although very expensive to import (shipping costs is mad!) it seems possible. Iíve also located the only importer and distributor of Caputo flour. Iíve also managed to find a guy who in 2008 imported 30 Water Buffalo from Campania and is willing to sell me my Bufala and another company the Fior di Latte.
My biggest problem at this stage is getting hold of San Marzano tomatoes. The DOP tomatoes I can buy from a local distributor(DeCecco) is so expensive it will kill my food cost instantly. Itís a small Italian Deli selling the small cans only as a delicacy. I tried mailing other San Marzano suppliers in Italy to find out if they export to South Africa but is yet to have success.
If this forum can assist me at all (contacts etc) in finding tomatoes it will be greatly appreciated.

As a matter of interest: Attached is the first oven I built. Please take into consideration this was on our farm (150kms from the nearest town). Itís very small, built with normal bricks we didnít use after renovating and a mixture of cement and clay from the farm. The inside (top and bottom) is two modified washing machine drums and the deck a 2cm stainless steel plate. After heating top and bottom for about an hour and a half, we cooked pizzas, although one at a time, in about 3 minutes. It was a lot of fun and great family time as everyone gets a chance to be the ďPizzaioloĒ!

Regards

Leon

Congrats please keep me posted! My wife is from Johannesburg and getting more good pizza in South Africa is always a plus especially if it's Neapolitan!

I just created my pie with Boerewors and she said it was one of her favorite pies.

welcome to the board!
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline Taahir

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 03:30:31 AM »

Regards

Leon

Hi Leon,

Have you spoken to the guys at Burrata at Old Biscuit Mill? They also own Bocca in Bree Street. They might tell you who their supplier is. Ate their last week, and its actually quite incredible, from what I can see they use Caputo Flour, San Marzano tomatoes, imported Neapolitan Pizza oven etc etc. Or maybe the owner of Massimos (Hout Bay) knows somebody?

We definitely need more places Neapolitan places here. I'm in process of planning a home oven, and even sourcing decent material at decent prices is ridiculous.

Taahir

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 04:35:29 AM »
Hello Leon

Welcome to the forum. I can't agree with you more - this forum and it's members are incredible.

If I'm not mistaken - Burrata is owned by Barry who is a Member of this form - I'm sure he will give you some input - he's very helpful.

Take care and look forward to seeing some pizzanography from your end of the world.

Regards Mo

Offline Napels in Cape Town

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:15:39 AM »
Hi Taahir and PizzaManic
Thanks you so much for the info. I'm well aware of Burratas and Bocca. Wow, what a coincidence, the only Neapolitan Pizza in Cape Town and the owner is on the forum. Amazing! I found Barry's profile and send him a message. My little shop will be in the Northern suburbs of Cape Town so I won't be any competition for them. Taahir, do you know if they are using DOP tomatoes, or just whole peeled San Marzanos?
Regards
Leon

Offline Taahir

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
Hi Taahir and PizzaManic
Thanks you so much for the info. I'm well aware of Burratas and Bocca. Wow, what a coincidence, the only Neapolitan Pizza in Cape Town and the owner is on the forum. Amazing! I found Barry's profile and send him a message. My little shop will be in the Northern suburbs of Cape Town so I won't be any competition for them. Taahir, do you know if they are using DOP tomatoes, or just whole peeled San Marzanos?
Regards
Leon

One of the reviews on Eat Out said its DOP... althought not sure if I trust them? Whatever it is, its dam good. Glad that there are more places opening, we need more "real" pizza in Cape Town. Whereabouts in Northern Suburbs? Good luck with the venture, I hope its a success! You already got one customer in the bag!