Author Topic: Proofing dough  (Read 412 times)

Offline PizzaDoc12

Proofing dough
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
I am just getting into the Neapolitan pizza making venture having buying a Pizza Party 70x70.  I've read many threads and watched a number of youtube videos.  I have a question regarding the proofing process.  When I watch the videos from the Italian masters, they squeeze out the dough balls and put them in a proofing tray.  It seems many will do a room temp proof. How do they keep the dough balls from developing a dry skin on them?  It seems when they remove a ball and open it, there is no hint of a dried skin.  Any suggestions?

Offline sub

Re: Proofing dough
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 02:09:46 PM »
The dough trays are not very deep, dough balls are very close to another, and they use a soft dough.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 05:33:35 AM »
Are you having an issue with the balls drying out? How long is your bulk risen and how long are they proofed in trays?  A lot has to do with temp of room during the proofing. my guess is what those videos are not showing is where the dough is proofed. I'm guessing a basement.

You can cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel during the bulk rise.

Here are some pics from a recent bake. The first is after a 10hr bulk rise and then before and after an additional 8hr rise at room temp. 

Offline Icelandr

• One day . . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
I had the same issue with a light skin on the dough balls and remembered a post, I believe by Gsans showing his method of putting a screw on wine top with a bit of water in the dough tray. I now put a small individual yogurt container with a couple tbs of water in my tray. Looking at the full trays of dough by others it seems unnecessary and impossible with their tight packed dough, but I believe it works for me.
I note that pictures of dough trays, as Omid's always look shiny, suggesting more moisture than mine though my hydration is 66%. Still having difficulty getting tight packed balls out of the tray but that's off topic.

Cheers

Edit - I am using a birch ply dough box, not plastic
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:25:28 AM by Icelandr »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
In plastic boxes, simply stacking or otherwise covering the top should be all you need to do. Individual plastic tubs with tight fitting lids work well as do twist-tie plastic bags. I love the plastic bags with just a bit of spray oil - they only cost about $0.02 each, work really well, and no clean-up after.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline PizzaDoc12

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!  I was balling up the dough after the initial mix but have changed to a bulk ferment for 12 hours at room temp then ball and place in fridge covered for another 12 hours.  Seems to develop a skin after I let it sit at room temp after taking it out of fridge prior to using it.  I have had success keeping it covered throughout the whole process but after watching numerous videos it always seems like they never cover their dough and it looks perfect!  I was wondering if I was missing something...

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »
Talking about videos, this is a good one.

wordpress