Author Topic: Everlast's Potato Rosemary Pie & a few others  (Read 201 times)

Offline Gags

Everlast's Potato Rosemary Pie & a few others
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
Hi All,

I’ve been meaning to try Everlast’s crowd pleasing potato & rosemary pie (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30754.msg306893#msg306893) and I also had some items I needed to use up, so last night was pizza night!

The dough was a standard NP one:  Caputo 00, 63% hydration, 0.25% IDY, 2.5% Sea salt.  Bulk ferment for 12 hours, then balled (with an ice pack in the dough box) for 11 more hours.  I don’t normally do this, but during a weekday, I ball in the morning, go to work, and can’t get to them until about 6PM.  They developed the big bubbles in the last hour when I brought them into the kitchen.

As homage to Omid (“Pizza Napoletana”), my pulcinella found his way into the photos! 
After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!

I did four pies, three of which are intended to be lunch at my girlfriend’s law office today:
1.   Margherita
2.   Margherita with sausage & ricotta
3.   Potato with caramelized onion cream sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, sausage, and fresh rosemary.
4.   A split pie with #2 and #3 combo for our dinner.

Notes:
-   I tried to keep the oven at 850-875F just to gauge cook time and dough appearance.
-   I struggled with keeping the temps up as we're getting a cold snap here in SoCal and my Blackstone was in the Arctic wind on my patio! 
-   The bake time was approaching 2 mins and I think that's part of the reason I didn't see as much leoparding as I like.
-   I bent my “Chau-flectors” down a bit more since cheese had previously been getting too much heat.
-   Cubed my cheese (Belgioiso Fresh Mozzarella) finer to get better distribution and melt.
-   The caramelized onion white sauce was amazing!!  It was deliciously sweet from the caramelization and had a touchThis is the one posted by TomN here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29040.msg291994#msg291994
-   For potato prep, I followed Everlast’s advice and roasted the potatoes with rosemary, olive oil, and salt at 400F.  I tested at 3 and 5 mins, but still too firm.  I pulled them at 10 mins and that seemed to work.  They were just at the point of losing their firm structure.  They softened up a bit more during bake and turned out well.
-   I liked the ricotta on the potato pie-it added another dimension of texture to the pie, but I think I’d like to add a green (maybe broccoli, spinach, broccoli rabe) next time to cut down the richness and starchiness.  But still a good pie!

Thank you to all on the forum who contribute cool ideas and recipes!  Such an active exchange of ideas definitely accelerates learning!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:31:02 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"