Author Topic: How I make my NP dough  (Read 47954 times)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: How I make my NP dough
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
Guys, I'm "drinking from a fire hose" here, trying to read as much as I can that will allow me to try my first Caputo 00 dough. I see a lot of reference to keeping the dough at 65F…that's not a temperature any normal home can reach or maintain easily. If I keep the dough in the refrigerator, it's too cold. Keeping it on the counter is closer to 70 F…Ideas?

Also, the amount of starter seems REALLY small…for two dough balls (280g each) it's looks like barely a teaspoon full. I have an active starter that I use frequently to bake bread, but can't imagine a teaspoon of the stuff will do much leavening. What am I missing?

Have a look here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14356.0.html

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
Also, the amount of starter seems REALLY small…for two dough balls (280g each) it's looks like barely a teaspoon full. I have an active starter that I use frequently to bake bread, but can't imagine a teaspoon of the stuff will do much leavening. What am I missing?

that's right.  that tiny amount of starter is a mass of flour, water, and lots of really active yeast.  that yeast will colonize and start consuming your doughball as soon as you start mixing it, and the population explodes exponentially - one yeast will divide to become two, then the next division you've got four, then the next eight, etc.  The longer you wait the faster the population grows and the more mouths there are to feed.  If you're going to allow it to sit at 65F for 48 hours (for instance), that's a pretty good amount of time for eating and multiplying! if you start with too many mouths to begin with, you're going to run out of food really fast.  Think about how fast your starter reacts once you've fed it for the last time (the feeding that gets it super active), it doubles volume in just a couple of hours, right?  The small amount you use, and the exponential growth is also why you don't see a lot of activity after the first 24 hours but as you approach the end it takes off.  Go check out all the work txcraig1 has been doing: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0  You can use his data and charts (or my app, or the google spreadsheet in that thread) to predict how much starter you need, or how much time you need to get the job done.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:52:22 PM by anverc »
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline flyhigh123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
Hey Craig,

I just wanted to let you know that your dough recipe has turned out really great! It's pretty much amazing. I need to post some pics, but the chew on the crust is amazing with the crisp bottom....

I have bumped up the dough weight to around 310. I feel that the pizza is a little too thin for my taste. I'm also going to try 330 as well.

One question, how much sauce does the pizza normally take, from a real pizzeria? I think i'm a bit sauce heavy....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »

Time.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »
Hey Craig,

I just wanted to let you know that your dough recipe has turned out really great! It's pretty much amazing. I need to post some pics, but the chew on the crust is amazing with the crisp bottom....

I have bumped up the dough weight to around 310. I feel that the pizza is a little too thin for my taste. I'm also going to try 330 as well.

One question, how much sauce does the pizza normally take, from a real pizzeria? I think i'm a bit sauce heavy....

I'm glad it worked well for you. Thanks for letting me know. I've never measured how much sauce I use. It's not a lot. 1/4 -1/3 cup maybe?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline lifevicarious

« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
Hey Craig,

Made a few pizzas in my life, but a bit removed, and haven't really used Caputo 00 before. Anyway, recently got the BS and now trying to follow your recipe by the letter to make my dough. My problem is that after mixing in a KA, kneading, and four rounds of folding, the dough is still in the "rough" stage. Do I simply keep folding / resting until it gets to the smooth stage?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Offline lifevicarious

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
Well I guess I answered my own question. I just kept up with periods of folding followed by periods of rest, and after a few rounds, i finally achieved the smooth texture I was looking for. We'll see how they end up in 48 hours.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »
Well I guess I answered my own question. I just kept up with periods of folding followed by periods of rest, and after a few rounds, i finally achieved the smooth texture I was looking for. We'll see how they end up in 48 hours.

Very good. Glad to hear it. I usually employ 2-3 rests and to get beautiful, smooth dough.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2014, 11:41:08 PM »
Hi Craig,

I'm going to be making 24 dough balls for a pizza party this Saturday. I love your dough recipe and was wondering what mods I should make to it to scale it up effectively. For example, I don't think I can use the "slap and fold" technique on a lump of dough that contains 24 dough balls. Do I need to do 3 or 4 separate batches? Also, I should note that I don't have a dough mixer.

Thanks!
Damian

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
Hi Craig,

I'm going to be making 24 dough balls for a pizza party this Saturday. I love your dough recipe and was wondering what mods I should make to it to scale it up effectively. For example, I don't think I can use the "slap and fold" technique on a lump of dough that contains 24 dough balls. Do I need to do 3 or 4 separate batches? Also, I should note that I don't have a dough mixer.

Thanks!
Damian

I don't see a problem making that much dough at one time if you have a large enough bowl. If you're worried about it, make 2 batches. I do 12 ball batches regularly.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Hi Craig,

Thanks!
Damian

I discovered Ken Forkish's book on the forum and since then my mixer has been gathering dust. This past weekend I hand mixed a 5 kg batch using the stretch and fold technique for the first time. It was surprisingly easy. Using a Cambro 12 qt. container purchased on Amazon, I mixed, folded, and bulk rose the dough.  Making the dough in one batch and using one container was easier, quicker, and more consistent for me than running multiple batches through my 5 quart mixer.

Love that container, lots of good uses for it!
Michael

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2014, 01:51:19 AM »
FWIW, I had a chat to a good friend of Gino Sorbillo's today. I know Craig as come under question on occasion for his mixing of culture into salted brine and not adding flour before hand. This guy said its a well kept secret among Napoletani that they don't generally share, but they will almost always add their mother dough to salted brine, stirring it in and adding flour within a minute.. Even though they let on like you're not supposed to do that, its part of their secret.

He also said most of them use cultures, even if their "recipe" uses Lievito di Birra..

I know Craig doesn't need any qualification to his methods, but its good to have them endorsed by a Naples Pizza Local.

This bloke moved from the Spanish Quarter of Naples and went on to make pizza in Auckland for 10 years before moving to Melbourne.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2014, 02:55:47 AM »
This bloke moved from the Spanish Quarter of Naples and went on to make pizza in Auckland for 10 years before moving to Melbourne.

Being an Aucklander myself, are you able to say where he worked in Auckland? Or what his name is?

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2014, 03:35:04 AM »
Being an Aucklander myself, are you able to say where he worked in Auckland? Or what his name is?

His name is Alessandro, I believe his pizza restaurant was called That's Amore? I could be wrong.

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »
I was giving Craig's recipe a try twice lately and it definitely didn't come out as expected. I hope some of the experts here can help me find out what's wrong.

First of all, I use modified small pizza oven (as in G3 Ferrari thread). It's not WFO, so obviously the results will differ, but it comes quite close.

Second thing is, I'm not sure if my culture is actually Ischia - it took me quite a while to activate it and I'm afraid by the time it got active, it may as well have been completely other culture which just happen to move into the jar.

My 2 tries went as follows:

1. I followed the recipe quite closely, I guess the only difference in handling the dough is that I haven't done "slap and fold", but rather "stretch and fold". 24h in bulk at 65F, then about 14h in balls at 65F and last 10h or so in 78F. I used Caputo Chef's flour (red bag). The difference in proportions was 2 times more sourdough (about 3%), I actually put too much by accident and just left it like that. The dough was ok, but it wasn't very soft and it wasn't super easy to open - I don't have too many other recipes to compare, but among the other things I tried 3 days dough fermenting in a fridge with IDY and most of the time it didn't need too much work to open it.

2. Second try was really similar, but this time I put 1.3% of sourdough and it came out much worse. It was actually a bit similar when opening, but it didn't rise properly in the oven and the crust was really chewy and had a bad structure.

When going through the forum before the first try I somehow missed the method of judging rise level by looking at bubbles on the bottom of the container, so I don't have any photos, but I took a picture of the second try. I must also say that at this point it's really hard for me to tell how much the dough rose, I literally have no idea, especially when the ball expands and looses its' shape. As you may see on the photos,there's almost no activity there, but I still wanted it to give it a go, for the sake of experimenting and you can see the poor result on the last photo.

I'm not sure what's the cause, which is why I would like to confirm my assumptions, but my theory is: my sourdough is not strong enough and the dough haven't risen enough. On the first try I doubled the sourdough amount by accident and it turned out better than the next one which kind of confirms that. I will try one more batch with much more sourdough, probably about 5%, but if anyone has an idea on what could be some other causes of such an effect, it would be great to hear.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »
I was giving Craig's recipe a try twice lately and it definitely didn't come out as expected. I hope some of the experts here can help me find out what's wrong.

First of all, I use modified small pizza oven (as in G3 Ferrari thread). It's not WFO, so obviously the results will differ, but it comes quite close.

Second thing is, I'm not sure if my culture is actually Ischia - it took me quite a while to activate it and I'm afraid by the time it got active, it may as well have been completely other culture which just happen to move into the jar.

1. I followed the recipe quite closely, I guess the only difference in handling the dough is that I haven't done "slap and fold", but rather "stretch and fold". 24h in bulk at 65F, then about 14h in balls at 65F and last 10h or so in 78F. I used Caputo Chef's flour (red bag). The difference in proportions was 2 times more sourdough (about 3%), I actually put too much by accident and just left it like that. The dough was ok, but it wasn't very soft and it wasn't super easy to open - I don't have too many other recipes to compare, but among the other things I tried 3 days dough fermenting in a fridge with IDY and most of the time it didn't need too much work to open it.

2. Second try was really similar, but this time I put 1.3% of sourdough and it came out much worse. It was actually a bit similar when opening, but it didn't rise properly in the oven and the crust was really chewy and had a bad structure.

When going through the forum before the first try I somehow missed the method of judging rise level by looking at bubbles on the bottom of the container, so I don't have any photos, but I took a picture of the second try. I must also say that at this point it's really hard for me to tell how much the dough rose, I literally have no idea, especially when the ball expands and looses its' shape. As you may see on the photos,there's almost no activity there, but I still wanted it to give it a go, for the sake of experimenting and you can see the poor result on the last photo.

I'm not sure what's the cause, which is why I would like to confirm my assumptions, but my theory is: my sourdough is not strong enough and the dough haven't risen enough. On the first try I doubled the sourdough amount by accident and it turned out better than the next one which kind of confirms that. I will try one more batch with much more sourdough, probably about 5%, but if anyone has an idea on what could be some other causes of such an effect, it would be great to hear.

I use this formula and this weekend bake was spectacular ..  I use Craig's method with a couple tweaks. flour 100%, water 61%, salt 2.8%, starter 3%,  280 gram balls..  makes perfect 12-13 inch pies

I keep my starter in the refrigerator and pull it out Wednesday morning and feed it. I then feed it again when i get home just before 5:00. At 8:00 it has doubled and thats when i make my dough.This would be for a friday night firing.

I add flour ..all of it to mixer bowl.I then add starter to flour. I then add water with salt dissolved already. I mix at lowest speed for 2 minutes. I then rest for 10 minutes. I mix again for 2 minutes and then rest for 10. I dump on marble and stretch and fold 4 to 5 times. I then kneed for a couple minutes. I cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 1 hour. I then give a couple more stretch and folds to feel the dough. If fine i put in container and then into cooler. When i pull out the next night 24 hours later. I also give a couple stretch and folds to get a feel for the dough. I divide by 4 and ball by using a tuck and fold and roll on counter. Thats it. I pull out 2-4 hours before i fire. I only change out the juice bottle every 24 hours. Works very well for me and i am in florida and the temp is 90 and the humidity is high. Even with aircon on it averages 50% humidity in the house. Hope this helps. couldn't have done it without Craig's help... ;D

Thx chris
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:46:50 AM by vandev »

Offline nythincrust11

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
100% Caputo (my typical batch is ~1.3kg flour)
62.5% Water at about 40-45F (play with this over time in a range of 60-64%)
3.0% Salt (I would not go lower than 2.5% or more than maybe 3.1%)
1.3% Ischia Culture (fully active) NO FRESH YEAST, IDY, or ADY!!! Trust your culture. The hydration and flour you use in your culture don’t matter much at quantities this low.  I’m probably a little stiffer than 100%, but I doubt it is significant.

Im sorry I now I look like a idiot, but Im pretty new to this but what do the percentages mean or convert to? How much of each ingredient do you use per say ounces, cups, etc?

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »

I think it's your sourdough starter that is the culprit.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2014, 12:34:27 AM »
Im sorry I now I look like a idiot, but Im pretty new to this but what do the percentages mean or convert to? How much of each ingredient do you use per say ounces, cups, etc?

Multiply the % by the flour weight and that is how much to use. For example, say you use 1000g of flour, you would use 62.5% x 1000g = 625g water.

There is no such thing as a true weight to volume conversion. The % work for grams and oz (weight). When making dough, don't ever measure anything in oz (volume), cups, etc. 
Pizza is not bread.

Offline nythincrust11

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
Its making a lot more sense now haha, thanks a lot.