I was giving Craig's recipe a try twice lately and it definitely didn't come out as expected. I hope some of the experts here can help me find out what's wrong.
First of all, I use modified small pizza oven (as in G3 Ferrari thread
). It's not WFO, so obviously the results will differ, but it comes quite close.
Second thing is, I'm not sure if my culture is actually Ischia - it took me quite a while to activate it and I'm afraid by the time it got active, it may as well have been completely other culture which just happen to move into the jar.
My 2 tries went as follows:
1. I followed the recipe quite closely, I guess the only difference in handling the dough is that I haven't done "slap and fold", but rather "stretch and fold". 24h in bulk at 65F, then about 14h in balls at 65F and last 10h or so in 78F. I used Caputo Chef's flour (red bag). The difference in proportions was 2 times more sourdough (about 3%), I actually put too much by accident and just left it like that. The dough was ok, but it wasn't very soft and it wasn't super easy to open - I don't have too many other recipes to compare, but among the other things I tried 3 days dough fermenting in a fridge with IDY and most of the time it didn't need too much work to open it.
2. Second try was really similar, but this time I put 1.3% of sourdough and it came out much worse. It was actually a bit similar when opening, but it didn't rise properly in the oven and the crust was really chewy and had a bad structure.
When going through the forum before the first try I somehow missed the method of judging rise level by looking at bubbles on the bottom of the container, so I don't have any photos, but I took a picture of the second try. I must also say that at this point it's really hard for me to tell how much the dough rose, I literally have no idea, especially when the ball expands and looses its' shape. As you may see on the photos,there's almost no activity there, but I still wanted it to give it a go, for the sake of experimenting and you can see the poor result on the last photo.
I'm not sure what's the cause, which is why I would like to confirm my assumptions, but my theory is: my sourdough is not strong enough and the dough haven't risen enough. On the first try I doubled the sourdough amount by accident and it turned out better than the next one which kind of confirms that. I will try one more batch with much more sourdough, probably about 5%, but if anyone has an idea on what could be some other causes of such an effect, it would be great to hear.