Author Topic: How I make my NP dough  (Read 43550 times)

Online TXCraig1

Re: How I make my NP dough
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
These are tiny quantities, how do yous measure these out?

Say you want 0.1g of yeast and you scale only measures to 1g resolution, dissolve 1g yeast in 99g water and use 10g of the mixture to get 0.1g ~+/- 0.04g

You can increase the accuracy ot ~+/-0.004g by using a scale that measures to 0.1g resolution or by dissolving 10g yeast in 990g water and use 10g of the mixture.

Be sure to subtract water in the mixture from formula water.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline swatson

• Supporting Member
    • Clydebank Build
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
So if the recipe called for 400g of water use 390 plus the 10g with yeast?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
So if the recipe called for 400g of water use 390 plus the 10g with yeast?

Yes. Well 390.1g to be precise.  :-D

Offline swatson

• Supporting Member
    • Clydebank Build
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »
Also, why would you not expect to see any rise in the first 24hr ferment?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Also, why would you not expect to see any rise in the first 24hr ferment?

It's just a function of yeast/culture quantity and temperature. It's just math - how many doublings does it take to see rise and how fast does it double at a given temperature. I want to see just the earliest signs of rise - tiny little bubbles just starting to form.

Offline swatson

• Supporting Member
    • Clydebank Build
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
Craig, thanks for answering all my questions I am only at the start of my journey understanding dough/yeasts/cultures so appreciate you not getting frustrated.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
Craig, thanks for answering all my questions I am only at the start of my journey understanding dough/yeasts/cultures so appreciate you not getting frustrated.

No problem. I posted this to help.

Offline swatson

• Supporting Member
    • Clydebank Build
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 07:56:31 AM »
I had 10 left on Amazon vouchers so have ordered the micro scales not bad at 5, and a little flexible dough cutter. That should make things easier when using such small quantities.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2013, 03:37:29 AM »
Say you want 0.1g of yeast and you scale only measures to 1g resolution, dissolve 1g yeast in 99g water and use 10g of the mixture to get 0.1g ~+/- 0.04g

You can increase the accuracy ot ~+/-0.004g by using a scale that measures to 0.1g resolution or by dissolving 10g yeast in 990g water and use 10g of the mixture.

Be sure to subtract water in the mixture from formula water.

This is clever..

iRobertO

Online Rick M

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
Craig;

When using the Preferment Calculator, do you use the "% of Total Flour"  or  "% of Total Water"   I noticed in some past posts that you used % of Total Water   but then then i read something that Norma put out and shes using % of Total Water.   ??????????   It's about a third different. 

Rick M
It was love at first Slice!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »
Craig;

When using the Preferment Calculator, do you use the "% of Total Flour"  or  "% of Total Water"   I noticed in some past posts that you used % of Total Water   but then then i read something that Norma put out and shes using % of Total Water.   ??????????   It's about a third different. 

Rick M

Everything you see fom me is % of flour.

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2013, 12:12:41 AM »
Everything you see fom me is % of flour.

Thank you for clearing that up:

Quick question, I am making my very first dough with the Ischia starter, and when I made my dough with 61% hydration, I placed it in a stainless bowl with a wet towel covering it, in a cooler kept at 65F for 24 hours. When I just took the bowl out of the cooler, there was condensation in the bowl and a slight pool of water :(

Needless to say, I tried to ball it for the first time using the method at 9:50 in this video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvbYcABI2IA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvbYcABI2IA</a>

The dough was more sticky than when I made it, it was difficult to retrieve from the stainless bowl since I did not add an oiled layer, and it did not pinch off as easily as in the video. Because the dough had higher hydration from the condensation, it is not perfectly smooth in my oiled tupperware tubs

When you bulk ferment, have you ever had this condensation happen in the bowl? Should I try to bulk ferment without a wet towel covering the bowl and should I add an oil layer for easier retrieval?

Thanks!

Stephan

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up:

Quick question, I am making my very first dough with the Ischia starter, and when I made my dough with 61% hydration, I placed it in a stainless bowl with a wet towel covering it, in a cooler kept at 65F for 24 hours. When I just took the bowl out of the cooler, there was condensation in the bowl and a slight pool of water :(

The dough was more sticky than when I made it, it was difficult to retrieve from the stainless bowl since I did not add an oiled layer, and it did not pinch off as easily as in the video. Because the dough had higher hydration from the condensation, it is not perfectly smooth in my oiled tupperware tubs

When you bulk ferment, have you ever had this condensation happen in the bowl? Should I try to bulk ferment without a wet towel covering the bowl and should I add an oil layer for easier retrieval?

Thanks!

Stephan

I cover my bulk and balls with plastic and I don't get any condensation. I would not use oil on the top of the balls. Flour sticks to it an can make your finished pies ugly.

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2013, 10:42:57 PM »
I cover my bulk and balls with plastic and I don't get any condensation. I would not use oil on the top of the balls. Flour sticks to it an can make your finished pies ugly.

I will try the covering with plastic method, and wow thanks for the tip about not covering the top of the balls with oil! That explains alot why I always had bunched up flour sticking to it making the top of the crust bitter and ugly! haha!  :o

:chef:

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
Craig,

Do you have any interest in making a tutorial video on how you ball your dough and later open it up?  I think you help to pass on a ton of knowledge, and I think visually seeing what you do may help people with using proper technique and mechanics.

Pete

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
Craig I love your pizzas. I have couple questions. have you tried putting your dough balls in a dough tray to leaven? How well will they hold in a dough tray instead of solitary containers.

Have you tried fermenting your dough bulk and balls at room temperature without using ice chest or chilled box?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »
Craig I love your pizzas. I have couple questions. have you tried putting your dough balls in a dough tray to leaven? How well will they hold in a dough tray instead of solitary containers.

Thank you!

No. I don't have any dough trays, but I think it would work fine in them. I'd have to do a 77F ferment as I have no way to manage temp in trays.

Have you tried fermenting your dough bulk and balls at room temperature without using ice chest or chilled box?

Yes, I've done 24H - something like 1% culture at 75-77F. I don't like it as well.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »
Craig,

Do you have any interest in making a tutorial video on how you ball your dough and later open it up?  I think you help to pass on a ton of knowledge, and I think visually seeing what you do may help people with using proper technique and mechanics.

Pete

I'll think about it. I'm not sure you'd get much from my balling technique, but I think the way I open the skins is a little different from some. It's a very gentle process. It's not showy or requiring much dexterity, so it wouldn't be a very exciting video.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »
I'll think about it. I'm not sure you'd get much from my balling technique, but I think the way I open the skins is a little different from some. It's a very gentle process. It's not showy or requiring much dexterity, so it wouldn't be a very exciting video.
Craig, I do think it would be of value--maybe not the rounding as much as the opening.  Many folks are very rough or maybe I should say seem to think they need to be aggressive when opening a round.  I think that a start to finish demonstration of your technique would open some eyes.

Yes, I said rounding not balling...remember I do not like terms that suggest violating the dough.   ;)  Is there such a term as sphering it?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:51:19 PM by dhorst »

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »

Should you decide on doing this, I think it would be an incredible process to watch you at work.  I think many people can absorb from your knowledge.  No need for fireworks, your product speaks for itself.  I for one, would be greatly interested.

Pete

pizzapan