Author Topic: Feeding my pizza addiction (attempting neapolitan style in my p134h)  (Read 4060 times)

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Feeding my pizza addiction (attempting neapolitan style in my p134h)
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »
Gsans sure is one hell of pizzaiolo but i am tryin to find my own style of pizzamaking. He did some electrical modes which are not an option for me, i dont want to mess with that and burn my house down haha. New stone is a must tho.

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »
I havent posted anything in awhile. In Poland the temperatures outside are decreasing rather quick now and i noticed that my SD became very impotent and despite using 5% (which i believe is a high number for 24h room temp ferment) i dont get much rise. Doughballs are flat and not airy at all. Maybe some of you have any suggestions how to fix this problem, maybe i should find a warmer place to keep my SD and feed it more often (twice a day? i usually do it once every 24h). Anyway i decided to use fresh yeast for a few bakes and i used caputo chef's flour  (red bag) as i got my hands on few kg lately.
Formula:
100% caputo red bag
63.5% hydration
3% salt
0.025% fresh yeast
24h rise, room temp., the whole time in balls

Baked at 480 C in my p134h for 80-90 s.

Toppings: heavy cream, chili flakes, fior di latte, asparagus, beef, sea salt

0.025 % is not very little amount of fresh yeast for fermenting at rt? For 24 hours at 20i would use 1gr of yeast per liter of  water

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
I guess it is very litle, but if i recall correctly, the dough came out well risen- airy yet strong. I usually find that i need to use litle less yeat that Craig's yeast chart calls for, not sure why.

Offline Soulboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:34 AM »
1) Agree about the yeast. 1g yeast per liter of water is right for me at around 20c for 24h.

2) just adding a biscotto doesn't bring the pizza that much higher. You should also add something under it to decrease the volume. I have seen this being done in various ways. The "stock" option is to get the grate from Palepizza. They also sell a steel plate to place inside the door to prevent heat loss. These three "mods" are easy and will increase the results a lot.
Effeuno p134h + raised biscotto + insulated door
Pizza Party 70x70 (stock)

Offline sub

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:08 AM »
0.025 % is not very little amount of fresh yeast for fermenting at rt? For 24 hours at 20i would use 1gr of yeast per liter of  water

I've seen great pies from Pere153 with only 0,7g / L.

ex: http://www.laverace.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2955

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »
I've seen great pies from Pere153 with only 0,7g / L.

ex: http://www.laverace.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2955

0.7gr/L would be the lowest of yeast i would go with. If you calculate his yeast level it comes out 0.4gr/L

Offline Ben Holiday

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »
very nice pies here. great! you got a top notch oven. get closer to the heating element but they are still very good!

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!

Offline schold

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »
I think the gentlemen at Effeuno should add heat resistant one-way mirror foil to the inner glass window. That should be possible, right? And then they should reduce the height of the baking chamber, add a biscotto and increase the maximum temperature by at least 50 degrees Celsius. Such a modified Effeuno P134H would be a badass oven.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 03:29:58 AM »
I agree Shold but what i'd like to see is stones on the walls of the baking chamber, that should give us even bake and reduce negative effect of opening door to put pizza in, which results in great heat loss now. I know that that would negatively impact heating time but if that wouldnt be like an hour or so i'd go for it, i dont mind waiting a litle longer for great pizza.

Offline schold

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 05:42:34 PM »
Maybe you are right, but I believe that a significantly lower baking chamber, a sufficiently powerful heating element as well as proper launch technique would be enough. As I have said several times, I think the P134H is a very good oven, and I am very pleased with it - but it kind of irritates me that just a few simple modifications would make it great.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:44:53 PM by schold »
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline sub

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »
think the P134H is a very good oven, and I am very pleased with it - but it kind of irritates me that just a few simple modifications would make it great.

That's exactly why I never bought one,  they have the perfect base oven in their catalog, It just need two 500 thermostats and a more powerfull top heating element.

Offline schold

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »
I agree. I like the glass door, though, watching the pie cook  :chef:

- Marco Pierre White

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 03:25:20 AM »
Shold that is a nice picture, what do you do to keep the floor nice and clean? I find that cleaning can be a pain in the ass as the chamber is pretty low.

Offline schold

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 11:46:25 AM »
I don't do much. Once in a while I lift the stone out and scrape off the charcoal with a wooden spatula. This is easy for me as I have a second stone on top of the original one, but also the default stone may be removed without much difficulty. Just lift it up and out.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:45:15 PM by schold »

- Marco Pierre White

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2016, 05:18:05 AM »
Its been awhile since i posted anything, frankly i had not much time for pizzamaking but yesterday enough was enough and i made a 5ish hours dough using the following formula:
300g caputo pizzeria
194g of water
1,5g of cake yeast
9g of salt

The dough came out really good for such short fermentation. I like the way the mozzarella melted also, i used fresh mozzarella (some local brand) and i wraped it in a paper towel for about 2 hours before baking.

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Hey everyone. Its been a long time since i made pizza (because of my contest prep and diet, sadly pizza is hard to fit into my daily calories), but tonight was the night.
I used a following formula:
100% caputo pizzeria
65%
2.8% salt
0.075% CY
fermented in RT for total of 24h (10h bulk/14h balled)

Was kind of rusty on a bench-  and i am not happy with the way pizza looked (especially the 1st one) but i'm gonna improve. Pizza i ate (cheese only) tasted great. Had no time to shop for quality toppings so i used shredded mozzarella (kind of crapy) and some blue cheese, onion and grilled chicken.

The oven is still stock, but i ordered saputo and steal frame to elavate it. I tried today to instal some insulation between two pieces of glass in the door but it ended up with huge smell in the kitchen, so i took it off and cooked pizza with no mods to the oven. Didnt time bakes but i guess they were somewhat around 90 sec maybe slightly longer.

Good to be back on the forum guys.
Jan
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:18:41 AM by IIFYMpizza »

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »
Tonight,  spontaneously, I decided to make pizza and try to instal, one more time, insulation in the door of my p134h and it made a huge difference.

I only had 5-6h for a dough so i took a look at Craig's yeast chart and went with the following formula:
100% caputo pizzeria
65% hydration
2.8% salt
0.4% CY
The dough was fermenting on a wooden cutting board covered with tupperware (no bulk ferment due to lack of time) for 6h. It wasnt great but it wasnt bad either. Each ball 250 g.

I made two pizzas, one for my brother and one for me. the first one is with chorizzo and mozzarella (dry) and the second one was with mozzarella (had to see how it melts with door upgrade), dry mozzarella and mushrooms. I have to say that the second pizza is propably one of the better looking pies i made (still a lot to work on of course).
The bake time was not measured but i think it was a litle quicker than usual. cant wait to get my saputo and get closer to the heating element. Should be fun. i hope everyone had a great weekend.

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 03:46:57 AM »
Yesterday i baked some of the best pies i've ever made. The first pizza (chorizzo)propably was kept in the oven a litle too long, hence ugly charring in some spots. What was interesting this pizza was still quite light, fluffy and soft. The other one i think baked (nearly) perfectly, at least to my liking. For me its important to avoid using too much flour on a bench when openning a dough. This time i was succesful in doing that, i told myself i am not in a busy pizzeria with angry customers waiting, none is rushing me and i'm gonna take my time. I cant remember if i ever used less flour on a bench.

Formula:
300g caputo pizzeria
192 g of water
0.3g CY2.8 salt
24h room temp (10h bulk/14 balls).

Another topic is the mozzarella melt. It was very and i mean very wet. i cut it in 1-1,5 cm cubes and put it on a paper towel to get rid off excess moisture. Didnt help. What is the typical fat content of mozzarella you guys use? Maybe that has to do with temperature and time of the bake ? Maybe its all of those thing plus something extra. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

Cheers
Jan

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 04:52:41 AM »
Very nice Pizza!
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Yesterday i made dough for 3 pizzas using 0.3g of CY and i am sitting at work praying that this unexpetedly hot day wont ruin it for me. I was shooting for 24h ferment (12h bulk/12h balled) as i am going to be at home late.

Also i noticed that when i try to ball my dough tight  the skin sometimes crack and its not perfectly smooth. Do you guys think its a sign off improper gluten development (if so -overworked or underworked dough?)

wordpress