Author Topic: Kettle Pizza Wood Fired Plus Coal First Test BIG Thumbs Up  (Read 516 times)

jim baugh and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
Kettle Pizza Wood Fired Plus Coal First Test BIG Thumbs Up
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:21:33 PM »
We gave the Kettle Pizza with the Pro Grate its first work out last night and the Kettle way out performed my expectations. I have been wanting an oven for years that could get 700 + temperatures. Well, the Kettle Pizza exceeded 1000 degrees floor and around 1100 dome. We baked at around 800 degrees making 2:20 second pies. I will write up a full story and hopefully have it up by tomorrow. We cut a little video of the very first bake. This was NOT a perfect pie, but it was our first attempt at the first pie, it was delicious! Have fun and enjoy!

Full Write up\ review below
http://jimsgalley.blogspot.com/2015/07/real-authentic-wood-fired-neapolitan.html

Direct on You Tube

Jim Baugh

NOTE: We made some sourdough baguette last night and certainly the best achievement yet. Huge difference using wood fire, I was amazed. Pic included
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:44:47 AM by jim baugh »
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
Re: Kettle Pizza Wood Fired Plus Coal First Test BIG Thumbs Up
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »
Hi Pizza Fans!
Just finished doing the write up on the Kettle Pizza with Prograte. Pics and video. The oven certainly did it's job, don't know what else one could ask for except a much better chef! Yall enjoy. Will post more pics and update as we continue to use this thing. It also made for some totally awesome Baguettes.

http://jimsgalley.blogspot.com/2015/07/real-authentic-wood-fired-neapolitan.html

Godspeed,

Jim Baugh
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:59:45 AM by jim baugh »
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:11:58 AM »
We should be getting the baking steel for the Kettlepizza by the weekend. We will try it out and post the results. My guess is we will get better lepording and even a faster bake. But whatever it does we will post te results. I am going to make homemade Motz for these pies over the weekend. good stuff!!
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
Hi Folks!
Hey I just got the baking steel in today for the kettlepizza. We will test her out on Saturday. We ran temps up to over 1000 degrees in the webber, but still had to dome of the pies a bit. Oh well, from everything I have seen, the baking steel really does the trick on getting a lot of heat on top of the pie. Sort of makes sense. Anyway, we will post pics and results over the weekend. Here is some info on the steel
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/09/the-pizza-lab-we-test-kettle-pizza-and-baking-steels-new-joint-pizza-oven.html

NOTE: I just noticed but the baking steel I just got does not have the hole in the back. Only the sides for re fueling if necessary. Not having the hole in the back should cause the flame to roll right over the top of the pie. At least that is what I have seen on some videos. We will see Saturday!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:41:35 AM by jim baugh »
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Offline schold

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Good luck with the steel  ::)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:35:16 PM by schold »
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »
Thanks Man!
I know the thing works, question is will I leave the pie in to long and screw it up! Probably burn te first one for sure.
JB
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 01:35:28 PM »
Ok here is a pic of the baking steel. Will fire it up Sat night. I have five balls in cold ferment, bulked them on wed, balled today, will take out around 2pm Sat. Looking forward to seeing the results!
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:26:47 PM »
Updated galley Blog with video

Last night we fired up the wood in the KettlePizza  and added the Baking Steel. I must say that it did make a difference. It really did put off a LOT of radiant heat from above and it was easy to brown, char, lepord, the pie as much as you like. That slab of steel does hold temp very well.

I made three pies, my fav was this a Margharita, San Marzanos for light sauce, then we topped it off with very ripe local sliced beefsteak tomatoes. It was awesome. This pie was made with fresh motz but not my homemade. I am finding my homemade cheese burns if I leave it on for the entire bake. But it taste fantastic. Next time I will just put it on after the first minute.
All in all, I donít know of a better or more less expensive portable wood fired solution than the Kettle. It does work, but I think if anyone is considering it, just plan on getting the Pro Grate and the baking steel. You really need both for doing Neo pies.
One other thing that is pretty cool about using the webber\Kettle Combo. You can use the top to bake another dish. It really is a two teer baking system. Next time I am going to put some sausage and peppers on the top and seal off with foil and see how that goes.
The pies last night did taste quite unreal. Total ferment was five days including boosting the starter. 00 flour, water, sea salt, that was it. The dough was fantastic, just great by itself. My Italian wife said it was the best she ever had in her life. She was raised in NJ and NY.
The Sauce
Ok---Here is what I did for the first time ever and it was hard to do but I did it, and will do so from now on.
I like super zesty sauce, love heavy basil, garlic, etc, etc, etc, you know the deal. I have heard many times, and read about straining the San Marzanoís only adding hints of this or that. Well I was watching a Toney G Video (who I like) and when it came to his authentic Neo sauce recipe, after straining the tomatoes the ONLY thing he added was a little Sea Salt. That was it, NO garlic, basil, pepper, or any other herbs, only a little sea salt.
It was VERY hard for me to do this because I usually over spice just about everything, but I tried it because I was genuinely curious to see how it would turn out. I also had my kickin heavy garlic sauce on standby anyway.
Well, I was floored how good it was. The best. I will do this from now on. I wonít lie, I put one piece of basil in the sauce, that was it but nothing else. Best sauce I have ever had.
So, it works. I am not sure why, but it does. To me taste buds the simplicity of the sauce lets you taste the tomato. I was amazed.
Anyway, we were all very happy how it turned out.
Cheers!
Godspeed,
Jim Baugh

Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV