Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 207830 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1800 on: December 29, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
Oh well, there goes my IDY hopes.  :(    I had a feeling you would come to your senses.  ;D

I never said it was bad - or not even really good for that matter. Just not as good as SD.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1801 on: December 29, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
I never said it was bad - or not even really good for that matter. Just not as good as SD.
Believe me, I've paid very close attention to what you have said...and probably read some of my own hopes into it.  :)

For a brief moment there(just after you tried the IDY)....I was hoping, next time you used SD, you would not be saying this.... "Alas, SD is a lot better. There is so much more flavor, you can hardly even compare them."

But it is what it is I suppose and I am still going to try the IDY NP....with the help of your awesome chart of course, thanks.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #1802 on: December 30, 2014, 01:01:37 AM »
Having the taste of the IDY crust fresh on my mind, these SD pies were really outstanding. I was kind of hoping that there wouldn't be a big difference as baker's yeast is so much simpler. Alas, SD is a lot better. There is so much more flavor, you can hardly even compare them. I had the same guests both nights, and they all commented that these pies were much better.

These pizzas are Alive!

And then there is Dried SD, I did buy it But have never used it since I love to play around with The home made culture and I am not sure how they dry these living creatures? ;D

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #1803 on: December 30, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »
These pizzas are Alive!

And then there is Dried SD, I did buy it But have never used it since I love to play around with The home made culture and I am not sure how they dry these living creatures? ;D

I've compared IDY to SD pies side by side and come to the same conclusion. 

Love the look of these Craig.  You can practically taste the freshness.  Your stretching skills are truly artful - always consistent with size and shape with just enough variation from an edge pull here and there.  :chef:
Jeff

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1804 on: January 08, 2015, 10:37:44 PM »
I was confused enough trying to figure out what the frequent references to SD meant ( I now see that it's a starter culture of some kind), but now it seems there are dried starter cultures? Can you link to a product for sale? I'm trying to picture whether something like that would be used just like IDY, or if it's meant to just be the starter of your own fridge based wet culture at home.

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #1805 on: January 08, 2015, 10:50:59 PM »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1806 on: January 08, 2015, 11:14:29 PM »
Done and done. Ridiculously cheap btw. I feel like I just got away with some kind of scam. Shipping was only a buck.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1807 on: January 09, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
I was confused enough trying to figure out what the frequent references to SD meant ( I now see that it's a starter culture of some kind), but now it seems there are dried starter cultures? Can you link to a product for sale? I'm trying to picture whether something like that would be used just like IDY, or if it's meant to just be the starter of your own fridge based wet culture at home.

I don't know anything about the link that Wazza provided, regardless, you don't use the dry culture they send you like yeast. Instructions will come with the dried culture as to how to revive it. Once revived you will need to keep it at room temp and feed it regularly or keep it in the fridge in which case, you can feed it less frequently but it will take longer to become active for making dough.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline 3pedals

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1808 on: January 13, 2015, 03:38:45 PM »
Hello All,

I tried reading everything on this thread but might have missed the answers so I apologize in advance if these were already answered...

1) I ordered Italian, Ischia from Naples starter from sourdoughs.net, is that the wrong one? was I supposed to order the Italian Pizza from naples one?

2) on the Preferment Pizza dough calculator it asks for the preferment % of water, how do I figure out what this number is?

3) I know Craig has modified his dough recipe a few times, is the one in the first post the latest recipe?

Thank you all in advance

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1809 on: January 13, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
2) on the Preferment Pizza dough calculator it asks for the preferment % of water, how do I figure out what this number is?
3pedals,

See the Note to the right of the preferment's percentage of water entry box at http://www.pizzamaking.com/preferment-calculator.html

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1810 on: January 13, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »
1) I ordered Italian, Ischia from Naples starter from sourdoughs.net, is that the wrong one? was I supposed to order the Italian Pizza from naples one?

3) I know Craig has modified his dough recipe a few times, is the one in the first post the latest recipe?

1) That is the one most people here seem to like.

3)
100% Caputo Pizzeria
61-62% water
2.8% salt
1.9% starter (this may go as low as 1.3% in the summer)
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan