Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 712194 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #3075 on: June 30, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
You should start a new thread for this rather than derailing Omid's thread further.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Arctic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3076 on: July 01, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
You're right. But from a certain point of view I'm happy. In Italy we struggle to find quality ingredients such as San Marzano because they prefer to sell all 'foreign. The less you buy, the more we find. The only complaint that I can do is that if you make a Neapolitan pizza .... you can not remove  Italian ingredients. It is a contradiction.

San Marzano tomato species is originally from Mexico and grown now in Italy.  They are not indigenous to Italy.

Offline Arctic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3077 on: July 01, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »
Fat is an old ingredient. In all italian ancient recipes is used... all italian regions , north and south. In modena is used for Gnocco, Tigella, in Romagna for piadina.... in campania for pizza.

Take a reasoning. When in the 80s were make the disciplinary of the Neapolitan Pizza .... Is possibile for you that the true Neapolitan pizzamakers have given us their original recipe so that everyone in the world could do it?

I have Neapolitans parents and I assure you that the pizza in Naples is completely different from what you eat the rest of the world. You trust even the disciplinary?
I had to spend a week in Naples  to ask .... and to speak to all the pizzamakers friends to figure out how to make it better. And I understand that the Neapolitan is a  pizza that we must learn to do. Then after that the important thing is to create your own pizza

The wood fire napoletana pie you see today in Naples bears no resemblance to what was served 30 years ago.  Today's pies are a function of globalization and branding.  An Italian committee got together one day and decided certain attributes would define Pizza Napoletana and require certifications.  I find it amusing that even how one cuts the basil leaves is scrutinized so heavily, this all just leads to communist pies all looking and tasting the same.  I doubt bakers in the 19th and 20th century made such uniformly identical pies.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:54:24 PM by Arctic Pizza »

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #3078 on: July 01, 2016, 12:59:38 PM »
Right , there's a video of Neapolitan Pizza in the '60 and you can see and find similar characteristics of sourdough  (criscito in neapolitan) pizza. Whille modern NP use always compressed yeast o pasta di riporto (piece of old dough). I'm searching with use of sourdough of recreate the ancient pizza(and use sourdough and Strutto-fat) but i think is better know all technical knowledge for make all products you can use.... and in this case we must study bakery

Offline fagilia

« Reply #3079 on: July 04, 2016, 04:21:20 PM »
There are many styles of Pizza Napoletana in Naples. Goricia and Sorbillo has baked the same type of pie with the same
method for ages and they look very much different from each other. Pizza outside Naples and Italy look more similar too each other than in Naples.
To say that the way they did it for example 60 years ago is very bold since the differences for the rich man pizza and the via tribunali style is past down for many generations.
One thing I learned for my last trip is that before world war II the flour was much weaker and so the recipies must have been different.
All this not my words. Just knowledge past down too me.
Sorry Omid for hijacking again