Author Topic: Sticky launch..culprit?  (Read 86 times)

Soulboy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Sticky launch..culprit?
« on: Yesterday at 09:27:44 PM »
NP's are coming along nicely...but still having some launch issues. Pretty standard numbers 62 HR, 24-48 hr ferment, about half in balls, opens easily and I'm getting a nice shape going onto the peel. Then I sauce and cheese and whoops...I'm sticking more often than I'd like...semolina added as a remedy, but the tendency to stick is already there, and launching onto the rotating BS stone adds to the challenge.

Dough is pretty thin but nothing extreme..I'm using a pretty thin tomato sauce and am thinking maybe it's just plain too much and is wetting the already-thin dough and causing the sticking..it certainly seems logical..I do like a nice coating of sauce and I see that many pies here are both round and sauced..I want to say, Me, too  :)  Any guidelines I can follow?  Too much sauce maybe, or dough too warm? ..My dough weight is about 270-280 and the pie is around 12- 13 inches. Upside is this is a great pie with 2% SD..thanks Craig for the formula!

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: Sticky launch..culprit?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:16:22 PM »
Do you know the temp of the dough when you are opening it and is it developed enough in terms of gluten structure?  If its slack and warm you may want to address that.  Wet sauce doesn't help either, but thats pretty much the norm on NPs and it gets even wetter when you add that nice drizzle of evoo before launch.

It's tough to say what the culprit is as it could be many things, but maybe try for a bit more gluten development if its slack and try stretching when the dough isn't as warm if its too warm.

Many use that 280g number for their NPs although I'm not sure of the size for that (I rarely make Neapolitan pizza) - I'd just stretch til it feels right.  12 inches sounds about right?

I dunno --- just my initial thoughts!  :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:19:13 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Sticky launch..culprit?
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:56:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff..the gluten was plenty developed, but it's certainly possible I was a bit overfermented , though it seemed good. The dough wasn't really slack..the stretch was pretty easy but not too much so...Dough temp probably low 60-ish ( I read it about half hour before actually opening  and it was about 58-59. Was fine until sauce...but I've been experimenting with sauces and there was some chunkiness .possibly the issue

wordpress