Author Topic: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage  (Read 41051 times)

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2014, 07:04:13 AM »
Craig,

Thanks for the wealth of information! A question about your dough, when you reach the point where find it at its peak window for   stretching as in your container photo. Do you try to pace your fermentation time and dough to open at the desired time for usage? Should you reach that threshold for optimum usage, given your heat related considerations of your location, do you then refrigerate for usage should it that mark? Are there considerations of pulling the dough out of the frig to bring it to an ideal temp for opening? I thought I saw that the ideal temp for opening was at the 64 degree.
Thanks,

Roman

Offline quixoteQ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  ;D

I always drizzle it on at then end, though a little bit is incredible mixed into some sauce and used to dip the bones.

Much thanks, Craig.  I placed my over-load chili order last night!
Josh

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for the wealth of information! A question about your dough, when you reach the point where find it at its peak window for   stretching as in your container photo. Do you try to pace your fermentation time and dough to open at the desired time for usage? Should you reach that threshold for optimum usage, given your heat related considerations of your location, do you then refrigerate for usage should it that mark? Are there considerations of pulling the dough out of the frig to bring it to an ideal temp for opening? I thought I saw that the ideal temp for opening was at the 64 degree.
Thanks,

Roman

My dough is usually in the 70-80F range when I'm baking, but I'd prefer closer to 70. My dough has a really long window of usability at that temp - probably 8 hours or even more.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
Thx Craig

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
Hey Craig,

Awesome thread. Couple of questions

1) Why does your average dough mixture use ~1.3kg of flour? Is that from 270g balls x 8 approx?

2) How scalable are the mixtures using the provided spreadsheet. Say for example I wanted to make 18 balls, am I better off doing 3 x 6, or 2 x 9 batches or can i do 1 x 18 with larger volumes. Its just that not all recipes are scalable, obviously.

3) If I do a couple of batches, possible to combine at the end and fold in together to do the bulk leavening? Last time I used separate tubs for the two batches.

Thanks chief

Stefano

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »
Hey Craig,

Awesome thread. Couple of questions

1) Why does your average dough mixture use ~1.3kg of flour? Is that from 270g balls x 8 approx?

2) How scalable are the mixtures using the provided spreadsheet. Say for example I wanted to make 18 balls, am I better off doing 3 x 6, or 2 x 9 batches or can i do 1 x 18 with larger volumes. Its just that not all recipes are scalable, obviously.

3) If I do a couple of batches, possible to combine at the end and fold in together to do the bulk leavening? Last time I used separate tubs for the two batches.

Thanks chief

Stefano

1) My typical batch is ~1700g flour for (10) 275g pies.

2) It should be absolutely scalable.

3) I usually keep them separate.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #186 on: March 04, 2014, 03:40:56 AM »
Love your work :) Now all you need is a 'How I ball my dough' thread and you are done.  :-D :chef:

FWIW, I have always been taught to have the top of the ball as the bottom of the pie, I notice you do the opposite? Any method to your madness? When I ball my dough, it almost looks like a sealed dumpling on the bottom which tends to allow it open easier when the top is on the bottom?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
Love your work :) Now all you need is a 'How I ball my dough' thread and you are done.  :-D :chef:

FWIW, I have always been taught to have the top of the ball as the bottom of the pie, I notice you do the opposite? Any method to your madness?

Thank you for the kind words. I don't know how much it matters, but I want the good looking side facing the people who are going to enjoy it. If anything my dough opens too easily as is.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
Here is an atricle on salt-stressing yeast.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13441.msg133181.html#msg133181

Craig, interesting this is touted as an age old technique? One of my colleagues who is VPNA certified here in Australia swears by dissolving 1/3 of the flour in prior to mixing the yeast. I've only been doing this a few weeks, so what the hell would I know  :chef: :pizza:

Just working my way through the 10 pages in this thread.  ;D

Offline Everlast

« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
FWIW, I have always been taught to have the top of the ball as the bottom of the pie, I notice you do the opposite? Any method to your madness? When I ball my dough, it almost looks like a sealed dumpling on the bottom which tends to allow it open easier when the top is on the bottom?

Totti, I talked about using the top versus bottom for the dough ball in this post:

I always use rice flour (which doesn't burn or take on a bitter taste that regular flour can) and a wooden peel (which I frequently sand with fine grit sandpaper) to launch my pizzas and I rarely have issues. I also noticed that when I've used the top of the dough ball as the top of the pizza, the bottom of the dough ball tends to be stickier since that was the same side that was in contact with the dough ball container for the entire fermentation period. Using the top of the dough ball as the bottom of the pizza yields a less sticky bottom since the the top of the dough ball has formed a little bit of a skin. The top of the dough ball is also smoother and seems to yield a more smooth pizza underside without the irregular spot or two that can become sticky when using the bottom of the dough ball as the bottom of the pizza. I'm using 62.5%HR dough.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »
Craig, interesting this is touted as an age old technique? One of my colleagues who is VPNA certified here in Australia swears by dissolving 1/3 of the flour in prior to mixing the yeast. I've only been doing this a few weeks, so what the hell would I know  :chef: :pizza:

Just working my way through the 10 pages in this thread.  ;D

I can't remember the last time I didn't go water->salt->culture->flour. It's not like I let the culture sit in the yeast water for a long time. It's probably less than a minute before I start mixing in flour.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:13 PM »
Totti, I talked about using the top versus bottom for the dough ball in this post:

Yep, that was my train of thought and what I was taught.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2014, 11:45:09 PM »
I can't remember the last time I didn't go water->salt->culture->flour. It's not like I let the culture sit in the yeast water for a long time. It's probably less than a minute before I start mixing in flour.

Can you do me a favour and try doing the way I said for a trial batch next time you do it? I would love to know if you see any tangible differences in the process. Hard to imagine yours getting any better, but the prospect is tantalising.  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

For reference it was

Water >> Salt >> 1/3 of flour >>> culture >>> slowly mix in 2/3.

Of of curiosity did you ever use fresh yeast before Ischia? Only reason I ask is because its hard to get a reference point to how much to use, so I used the VPNA recipe I got from a restaurant and modified it based on your table to end up with

~1.3kg Flour
625ml Water (Bottled, ambient (coldish) temp) - I will used refrigerated bottled water next time
31gms salt
1.5-2grams fresh yeast.

Rest is your timeline. They are currently in the cellar :) 1 batch 5 Stagione, 1 batch Caputo Pizzeria.
In any case my Ischia should be here in the next couple of days so hopefully that batch is the last of the mohicans :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:56:46 PM by Totti »

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »
Guys!

Need help. Here is how the batches look after 24 hours in the cellar. Ok to ball these and leave overnight in cellar again for tomorrow night? My dad says they look way to overdone. Need advice assay!!

It is about 1.5x bigger.

Offline sub

« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:56 AM »

Of of curiosity did you ever use fresh yeast before Ischia? Only reason I ask is because its hard to get a reference point to how much to use, so I used the VPNA recipe I got from a restaurant and modified it based on your table to end up with

Hi Totti,

For the fresh yeast use this tool, it's very accurate: Pizza2Calc

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »
Turned them into balls (275gm) - Curiously my mix was for 8 x 275 balls but I have ended up with 2 batches of 6. One slightly shorter (255 gram last ball - Caputo), one slightly larger (280 gram last ball).

Into the cellar for night two and showtime tomorrow night. Praying tonight :)

Craig is probably shaking his head looking at these pictures!

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »
First 10 hours in the cellar. Thoughts? Ignore the top ballbottom left ball it was the smaller one. Top right looks like it has some good raise. Old man still saying I need to re-roll because it will be dead by tonight.

Thoughts? Fresh yeast does bother me a bit! Should I ride it out?? or Re roll at lunch?? Stick in fridge at lunch?? Getting nervous!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:20:28 PM by Totti »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2014, 12:01:49 AM »
Can you do me a favour and try doing the way I said for a trial batch next time you do it? I would love to know if you see any tangible differences in the process. Hard to imagine yours getting any better, but the prospect is tantalising.  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

For reference it was

Water >> Salt >> 1/3 of flour >>> culture >>> slowly mix in 2/3.

~1.3kg Flour
625ml Water (Bottled, ambient (coldish) temp) - I will used refrigerated bottled water next time
31gms salt
1.5-2grams fresh yeast.

Rest is your timeline. They are currently in the cellar :) 1 batch 5 Stagione, 1 batch Caputo Pizzeria.
In any case my Ischia should be here in the next couple of days so hopefully that batch is the last of the mohicans :)

Are you sure about that formula? It's about 48% hydration, and your bulk dough in the picture looks like it's about 80%. What temperature is your cellar?

I've never made a pizza with fresh yeast. Only SD and IDY.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2014, 12:03:43 AM »
First 10 hours in the cellar. Thoughts? Ignore the top ballbottom left ball it was the smaller one. Top right looks like it has some good raise. Old man still saying I need to re-roll because it will be dead by tonight.

Thoughts? Fresh yeast does bother me a bit! Should I ride it out?? or Re roll at lunch?? Stick in fridge at lunch?? Getting nervous!!

I'd use the fridge before I'd re-ball which would be never. If you use the fridge, be sure to give it plenty of time to warm up. Overblown is not such a bad thing. They might not be the best looking pies, but they should taste really good.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2014, 12:23:41 AM »
I'd use the fridge before I'd re-ball which would be never. If you use the fridge, be sure to give it plenty of time to warm up. Overblown is not such a bad thing. They might not be the best looking pies, but they should taste really good.

Im thinking I misquoted my dough recipe! Looking at my notes from home, it was 1025g flour. Dunno where I got 1.3kg from, and looking at my balls, its highly unprobable that that 1.3kg would have been correct. Fingers crossed.. At the very least the Caputo mix would have been right :D

Cellar is at 17-18c constant. How do they look now? 4 Caputo balls almost ready to rock :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:15:24 AM by Totti »

pizzapan