Author Topic: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage  (Read 57600 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
Hello,

Sorry for all the questions as I never used a culture.

I was ordering Ischia starter online and I just wanted to be sure I got this correct. Once I start the dough process I only need 1.3% culture and that is only like a tsp?

This Ischia starter will just last a while sitting on my counter as long as add some flour?

Do want to order number 4 or number 6?

Thanks.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
Hello,

Sorry for all the questions as I never used a culture.

I was ordering Ischia starter online and I just wanted to be sure I got this correct. Once I start the dough process I only need 1.3% culture and that is only like a tsp?

This Ischia starter will just last a while sitting on my counter as long as add some flour?

Do want to order number 4 or number 6?

Thanks.

I don't know what #4 and #6 are?

I keep a back-up dormant in the fridge, but yes, the culture I use for pizza I keep at room temp. I discard ~50% and feed with a like amount of flour and water every 3 days or so. I don't measure anything. I just keep it at a thick batter consistency.

The only way you will know how much to use in your dugh is with a scale. I've been using 1.7-1.9% lately as it's been cooler than normal here.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
I don't know what #4 and #6 are?

I keep a back-up dormant in the fridge, but yes, the culture I use for pizza I keep at room temp. I discard ~50% and feed with a like amount of flour and water every 3 days or so. I don't measure anything. I just keep it at a thick batter consistency.

The only way you will know how much to use in your dugh is with a scale. I've been using 1.7-1.9% lately as it's been cooler than normal here.

Woops I forgot the link to show the starters. http://sourdoughs.net/

I ordered number six. I got an email from the website and they said add three cups of starter for a pizza. That seemed like a lot.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2014, 10:44:27 PM »
Woops I forgot the link to show the starters. http://sourdoughs.net/

I ordered number six. I got an email from the website and they said add three cups of starter for a pizza. That seemed like a lot.

#6 sounds good. That's not where I got mine, but I'd guess it will be fine.

As for using three cups, there are many ways to skin a cat. Personally, I prefer making pizza to skinning cats, but to each his own...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »
#6 sounds good. That's not where I got mine, but I'd guess it will be fine.

As for using three cups, there are many ways to skin a cat. Personally, I prefer making pizza to skinning cats, but to each his own...

Thanks for the nice write up, I'm going to follow your process the best I can. Can't to try it out.

Offline flyhigh123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »
Craig, when you make your sausage pizza's do you put raw sausage on it and let it cook when the pie does or do u pre-cook the sausage?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2014, 09:28:47 PM »
Craig, when you make your sausage pizza's do you put raw sausage on it and let it cook when the pie does or do u pre-cook the sausage?

Yes, I put it straight on. I don't tear it really big as you can see in the pictures - I'd call it a medium marble size. I don't have any problems with 50 second bakes.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »

Craig eats raw hamburger.  His sausage and other pork products are right on the edge of what I would consider safe, if not delicious.  I use bigger chunks, granted, but I like to pre-cook them a LITTLE.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »
It's true. I do, but I don't recommend it.  :)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline ccpark0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
TXCraig when you make your sauce you say  all you do is send a can of tomatoes through a food processor.  Do you drain or remove the seeds prior to this?  Might be a dumb question but I assume you do those two things. 

Thanks for sharing all of your secrets you have definitely made me a better pie maker. 

Offline blacroix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »
With regards to the different temperatures folks let their dough rise under...

A long, long time ago, I wanted to keep a LOT of beverages cold and have easy access to them - but didn't want an upright fridge.  I ended up buying a deep freeze that fit into a closet (rather large closet at that) that I then hooked up to a temperature controller like the following:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

You simply drop the thermostat into the deep freeze, plug it into the wall - then plug the freezer into the controller.  This way, you have direct control over the internal temperature.  If the temp is below the set point, the power is cut off to the freezer... when it rises above, the power is turned on and the compressor kicks in.  I can't help but to think this very same contraption would be perfect for long rises - you have absolute control down to the degree.  You can even put in a small fan to circulate the air to help with bulk fermentation to increase thermal transfer.

Does anyone do this? 

Brian

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
This sounds very similar to things people have done to make salami. Add a humidity sensor and humidifier and you would have a curing chamber.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
TXCraig when you make your sauce you say  all you do is send a can of tomatoes through a food processor.  Do you drain or remove the seeds prior to this?  Might be a dumb question but I assume you do those two things. 

Thanks for sharing all of your secrets you have definitely made me a better pie maker.

I use a food mill or a stick blender - NEVER a food processor. It will whip in air and make pink foam. A stick blender will too if you aren't careful. A food mill is by far the best choice.

I don't drain. I only remove the seeds if I use the stick blender.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
With regards to the different temperatures folks let their dough rise under...

A long, long time ago, I wanted to keep a LOT of beverages cold and have easy access to them - but didn't want an upright fridge.  I ended up buying a deep freeze that fit into a closet (rather large closet at that) that I then hooked up to a temperature controller like the following:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

You simply drop the thermostat into the deep freeze, plug it into the wall - then plug the freezer into the controller.  This way, you have direct control over the internal temperature.  If the temp is below the set point, the power is cut off to the freezer... when it rises above, the power is turned on and the compressor kicks in.  I can't help but to think this very same contraption would be perfect for long rises - you have absolute control down to the degree.  You can even put in a small fan to circulate the air to help with bulk fermentation to increase thermal transfer.

Does anyone do this? 

Brian

Several people have rigged up wine coolers and other various things with PID controllers - not sure about a deep freeze.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »
Here is the only way I've made sauce from fresh tomatoes that I liked: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32556.msg321770#msg321770
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
I do it like brian. I can control temp +- 0.5 degree with freezer and 0.2 degree with cooler. Saved me some time now when testing different temps.
As freezers shuts of when falling temp it continues to drop some more than cooler.

Offline cupcake

« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
Thanks for the very detailed description of your process, Craig. This is gold to a newbie like myself.

Has anyone tried this process but with a weaker oven? E.g. around the 600F mark. I'm wondering what sort of adjustments might make sense for us less fortunate ones. E.g. adding a bit of sugar for rise - which obviously turns this into more of an NY-NP than NP.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »
Thanks for the very detailed description of your process, Craig. This is gold to a newbie like myself.

Has anyone tried this process but with a weaker oven? E.g. around the 600F mark. I'm wondering what sort of adjustments might make sense for us less fortunate ones. E.g. adding a bit of sugar for rise - which obviously turns this into more of an NY-NP than NP.

I probably wouldn't recommend adding sugar. You will want to change flour though - a good AP - like KAAP is what I'd suggest. It will brown better than Caputo.

This is the best I can point you to on simulating a NP bake with a home oven:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10024.0
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11654.0
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
I probably wouldn't recommend adding sugar. You will want to change flour though - a good AP - like KAAP is what I'd suggest. It will brown better than Caputo.

This is the best I can point you to on simulating a NP bake with a home oven:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10024.0
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11654.0
You and Peter sharing site data bases? Or has Steve given you the key to the City.  Damn you guys are good.
Thanks so much... :chef:

CB
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:09:27 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
You and Peter sharing site data bases? Or has Steve given you the key to the City.  Damn you guys are good.
Thanks so much... :chef:

CB

No keys for me. I keep those two handy for requests like this.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan