Author Topic: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage  (Read 50486 times)

spinal tap and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »
No keys for me.
This joint is asleep at the wheel.
Oh well...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
Craig several questions...

First, are you still utilizing italian tomatoes, and if so, what draws your preference to that instead of San Marzanos?

Secondly, how coarse would you describe your sauce?  I goofed the other night and turned my tomatoes into puree in my vitamix.  I also feel like I didn't season it correctly because the taste seemed a little too much like spaghetti sauce, but maybe its just the consistency of the sauce at that point that was throwing me off.

Thanks,

Pete

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »
Yes, I still use the Cento Italian in the 35oz can. ROA1 Pelati printed on the end. I think they taste every bit as good if not better at 1/2 the price.

My sauce has a fair bit of texture. I use an OXO food mill with the coarse plate. I've had more than one very smooth (and thin) sauce that I liked however.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #243 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:38 AM »
Thank you for the response, sorry for not replying sooner.

I am curious...aside from your neo pies, do you venture much into other types?  I'd be curious to know if you get cravings for other styles often.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
Thank you for the response, sorry for not replying sooner.

I am curious...aside from your neo pies, do you venture much into other types?  I'd be curious to know if you get cravings for other styles often.

Other than NP, the occasional Detroit Style and pizza al taglio is about it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
Hi Craig

As you know (because you have replied to my posts) I have just completed my oven construction. After a couple years of baking in a regular gas oven I now have what I think is a really good, and very attractive, WFO. Ironically, I too use my garage - to prep and serve - I run acoss the driveway to get to the oven which is outdoors. 

This aside, I have moved on from being obsessed with the construction to focusing on what goes in, and comes out of it. I have been very frustrated by the variability in results, even when I follow the same recipe and work flow.

So, I started reading your string, and made it though 36 of 86 pages, and about 50 screen shots, before A) my wife made comments about me not paying attention to the kids and b) thinking wouldn't it be great if you had summed up all your experience in a single post.  Well, it appears you did that here some time ago.  Now I will print this out and study it. So, thank you for this.

You had made a comment on one of my posts about the oven, and then said "especially if your pizza is any good". I thought my pizza was very good, but it is clear that I have a long way to go, not just with the recipe but with managing the oven. The problem I have now is that I built the oven at my vacation place up in Canada, which I just returned from and can only get to occasionally.  I think it'd be a bit nutty to build a second one......

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
Obviously you are going to need to build an oven at your principal residence!  Very funny comment about time and attention with the kids. I can relate!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »
I think you oven came out absolutely beautiful. It's way way more than I expected when you first showed up here with the pieces of the oven's engine, and we were speculating on how they went together. I hope you know that the comment you referenced was not about your pizza but rather that you were concerned about some aspect of the oven's aesthetics, and I was saying that nobody was going to notice because they would be focused on eating pizza. As for having two ovens, I can't say it's nutty - impractical maybe? You can't practice oven management without an oven, but you can practice everything else with a Blackstone. That's a fairly practical solution. With respect to oven management, if Neapolitan pizza is the goal, error on the side of getting it too hot rather than too cool. Keep an open flame when you bake. Be sure you have a proper round head turning peel to turn and dome the pie. From there it's just a matter of practice and learning from experience.
Pizza is not bread.