Author Topic: your way of doing ischia  (Read 1040 times)

Offline texmex

Re: your way of doing ischia
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 12:08:40 PM »
Ram,
Don't  put it in the freezer. 

I don't seal the lid very tight when I place in the fridge.  I normally take a whiff test of my cold starters and check for bubbles in it, after about a week or sometimes two weeks. If it smells good and is not discolored, I  discard half and feed then stick it right back in fridge..  in the fridge it won't be so hungry! I keep about 200grams total of each of my different starters in the fridge. 

The main reason I would have 2 jars would be to keep your backup in the fridge and keep the other on the counter that you will be feeding daily.  If you don't have time or don't bake every day, maintaining your counter starter isn't really necessary...get rid of it.....but then you do need to plan on preparing your cold starter about a day before you bake to wake it up a little and be sure it will be strong nough to ferment your dough.

I personally would take one jar, feed it remove enough to start your dough formula,  but place that jar in the fridge and keep a cold starter...but that's beause I struggle wih keeping a counter starter.  You see it's jst like having a baby. You really need to take good care of it.

Next, I would empty part of your 2nd jar onto a clean plate or a piece of parchment and let it dry out. And then get rid of that 2nd jar unless you want to keep your counter starter feeding it every day.  This dried stuff will be your emergency backup flakes that you can store in a ziploc bag or in a jar and if you need to...you will start this whole freaking process again with those flakes.... but that is only your EMergency backup.  Then either keep feeding what is left in the jar ,leave on the counter and continue to feed every day to keep it alive. I'm repeating myself, but I hope you succeed with starter maintenance.

You can use your culture in any dough. You will now be falling into more experiments, faliures and success wih dough formulas.  Keep at it!
Reesa

Offline live4u

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
My thoughts in red.

Thanks Craig. BTW, when you feed every 4-5 months, do you do 100gr flour + 100 gr water? Or do you put in volume ie 1 cup flour + 3/4cup water?

Thanks once again

Offline live4u

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »
Ram,
Don't  put it in the freezer. 

I don't seal the lid very tight when I place in the fridge.  I normally take a whiff test of my cold starters and check for bubbles in it, after about a week or sometimes two weeks. If it smells good and is not discolored, I  discard half and feed then stick it right back in fridge..  in the fridge it won't be so hungry! I keep about 200grams total of each of my different starters in the fridge. 

The main reason I would have 2 jars would be to keep your backup in the fridge and keep the other on the counter that you will be feeding daily.  If you don't have time or don't bake every day, maintaining your counter starter isn't really necessary...get rid of it.....but then you do need to plan on preparing your cold starter about a day before you bake to wake it up a little and be sure it will be strong nough to ferment your dough.

I personally would take one jar, feed it remove enough to start your dough formula,  but place that jar in the fridge and keep a cold starter...but that's beause I struggle wih keeping a counter starter.  You see it's jst like having a baby. You really need to take good care of it.

Next, I would empty part of your 2nd jar onto a clean plate or a piece of parchment and let it dry out. And then get rid of that 2nd jar unless you want to keep your counter starter feeding it every day.  This dried stuff will be your emergency backup flakes that you can store in a ziploc bag or in a jar and if you need to...you will start this whole freaking process again with those flakes.... but that is only your EMergency backup.  Then either keep feeding what is left in the jar ,leave on the counter and continue to feed every day to keep it alive. I'm repeating myself, but I hope you succeed with starter maintenance.

You can use your culture in any dough. You will now be falling into more experiments, faliures and success wih dough formulas.  Keep at it!

Thanks texmex. Makes sense to me. I will definitely look into this drying stuff once the sun comes out of the clouds.

Offline texmex

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 01:00:19 PM »
Sun is not required for drying your starters.  You want to dry starter when it is at the most healthy level of progression. Like right now.  Just smear a bit on  a plate and stick it in  your oven with the light on. It will be dry very quickly.  Trust me, after all you have been through, you want the backup flakes. 
Reesa

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »
Thanks Craig. BTW, when you feed every 4-5 months, do you do 100gr flour + 100 gr water? Or do you put in volume ie 1 cup flour + 3/4cup water?

Thanks once again

I don't know. I never measure. Probably about 3/4 cup flour at 100% HR.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline robertscalchi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:55 PM »
When I had my ischia and camadoli  I have successfully frozen it for 3 to 4 months before. You can freeze them once they are at their peak of activity, but you have to wake them up and wash them after a freeze. I wouldn't freeze them more than 3 months though. They will die out. I miss the taste the smell and the aroma and co2 activity from it. Been playing with Belgian beer yeast lately. Been thinking there must be more alcohol content and bacteria with the beer yeast. Takes a few feedings to get to peak rise. But sours very quickly

Offline robertscalchi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:28 PM »
My general rule of thumb has always been that the starter has to double at least by 2/3rds of mason jar for peak activity