Author Topic: What water temp do you think gives ny pizza dough a better flavor?  (Read 5586 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: What water temp do you think gives ny pizza dough a better flavor?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
Why no options between? How hot is hot?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
I use cold (40-45F) - not because it directly affects the flavor, but rather because it facilitates other things I do that affect the flavor.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
Why no options between? How hot is hot?

90-110F
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
I'm with Craig.  I can't tell you my temp, because I don't have an instant-read thermometer, but I do use 30% of my water weight as ice and use it as soon as it has melted enough to be mixed without tearing the dough up.  I'd wager I'm down around 40F or even a bit below.  If I use water that is much warmer, my 2-day cold fermented dough grows too fast. 

My personal opinion is that the water temp isn't a key direct factor in flavor, but it is a critical factor in yeast activity.  If you want slow refrigerated development, the dough has to be cool when it goes into the refrigerator to restrict its growth while it equalizes its temperature with the ambient temp inside the refrigerator. 

Two days ago I did a test where I made made my dough with only about 10-15% ice/water just to verify my process and it has turned out just as I had expected.  My dough balls have expanded quite a bit more in their proofing boxes than usual.  This is a direct result of the warmer dough temp in that early critical phase when it is placed in the fridge, but before it has equalized with the internal temp of the refrigerator.

Kirk

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
I'm with Craig too, except I typically use 60 to 65F water temperature for my method of dough management.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
I am a bit confused by some of this. Regardless of starting water temp, is everyone still shooting for a 80-85 degree final dough temp? When I do dough in my stand mixer, I start with 100 degree water to end up with 82 degree dough. Are y'all starting with cooler water because your mixing process imparts heat to the dough?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
I am a bit confused by some of this. Regardless of starting water temp, is everyone still shooting for a 80-85 degree final dough temp? When I do dough in my stand mixer, I start with 100 degree water to end up with 82 degree dough. Are y'all starting with cooler water because your mixing process imparts heat to the dough?

All mixing warms the dough to some extent you are putting energy into the dough, and it has to get warmer unless you are simultaneously applying some sort of external cooling. Some sorts of mixers create more friction than others. As such more of the energy is converted heat and less goes into working the dough, but all mixers (even hand mixing) create some amount of heat.

Your dough temperature is lower than your water temperature because the flour and the mixer itself are lower and they are cooling the combined dough. Notwithstanding, you mixing is still imparting some amount of heat to your dough. Im surprised that starting with 100F water you end up with 82F dough. Your mixing is very gentile and your flour is pretty cold?

I target a 70F final dough temperature. 

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
The flour and the mixer are in our kitchen that is kept at 74 degrees this time of year (AC going). It is a kitchen aid stand mixer that I run on setting 1 while blending the ingredients and then setting 2 while kneading the dough (typically for about 7 minutes or so). I measure the water and final dough temp with an IR thermometer.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
The flour and the mixer are in our kitchen that is kept at 74 degrees this time of year (AC going). It is a kitchen aid stand mixer that I run on setting 1 while blending the ingredients and then setting 2 while kneading the dough (typically for about 7 minutes or so). I measure the water and final dough temp with an IR thermometer.

I think 82F is at the very upper end of where you want your final dough temperature (with a very hydrated dough), so you might want to bring your water temp down a little.

What is your hydration %?

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
I am still working on my dough handling skills, so I am only using 58% hydration. BTW- I am measuring my 'final dough temp' at the conclusion of kneading and before balling. I assume that is the correct time to measure it?

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
IR thermometers read surface temperature. Perhaps the surface temperature of the dough is a little cooler than the rest of it.

Online scott123

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
For me, at home, there's few greater hassles than hitting a specific target temp for my water.  I don't drink cold water and I also rarely have much refrigerator real estate to spare, so I don't refrigerate water.  With my water always at room temp. Hitting a target temp means either microwaving it to heat it or using ice to cool it.  Both are a pain in my butt.  It's taken me some practice to dial it in, but I'd much rather adjust for water variations with yeast adjustments than by heating or cooling my water. Room temp, for me, is almost always going to be between 68 and 80.

I always hand knead, though, for minimal amounts of time, which doesn't drive up the temperature.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
IR thermometers read surface temperature. Perhaps the surface temperature of the dough is a little cooler than the rest of it.

A possibility. Though if friction from the dough hook and mixing bowl are sending heat into the dough, I presumed it would do it from the outside in.

How are other measuring the temp - probe thermometer?

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
I've never measured the temperature of my water. I always just use the coldest water out of the tap. In my community the tap water is pretty cold. It varies a little by season but it is always fairly cold.

I never bothered to take the final dough temperature, but if I has to guess, I'd say it was definitely cooler than room temperature. I always refrigerate immediately after the final knead.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure where I even got the 80-85 final dough temp target from (the lehman dough thread maybe?). What effect does a higher/lower final dough temp have on the dough? The OP asked about changes in flavor, but what else changes with temp?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »
For me, at home, there's few greater hassles than hitting a specific target temp for my water.  I don't drink cold water and I also rarely have much refrigerator real estate to spare, so I don't refrigerate water.  With my water always at room temp. Hitting a target temp means either microwaving it to heat it or using ice to cool it.  Both are a pain in my butt.  It's taken me some practice to dial it in, but I'd much rather adjust for water variations with yeast adjustments than by heating or cooling my water. Room temp, for me, is almost always going to be between 68 and 80.

I always hand knead, though, for minimal amounts of time, which doesn't drive up the temperature.

The way I see it, dough temperature straight out of the mixer for a refrigerated dough of 1 or 2 lbs is much less important than the dough temperature of a pizzeria-sized batch, for a couple reasons: 1) One or two dough balls will cool a lot quicker than a couple hundred dough balls, which says to me that a 90-degree dough ball will reach the ideal temperature in a home fridge almost as fast as an 80-degree dough ball; and 2) I assume there must be a lot more heat generated in large batches of dough than in small, home-sized batches.

Regardless, because of this thread, I'm probably going to start paying a little more attention to the temperature of my dough.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
I am still working on my dough handling skills, so I am only using 58% hydration. BTW- I am measuring my 'final dough temp' at the conclusion of kneading and before balling. I assume that is the correct time to measure it?

Yes, that is correct. I think most would say something closer to 77F would be appropriate for a 58% HR dough.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure where I even got the 80-85 final dough temp target from (the lehman dough thread maybe?). What effect does a higher/lower final dough temp have on the dough?

If it gets too warm, it will start to break down your gluten. It will also accelerate your fermentation.

The OP asked about changes in flavor, but what else changes with temp?
Fermentation rate is the big one. In sourdough, it can cause big changes in flavor, but here we are talking about fermentation temp, not water temp.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
A possibility. Though if friction from the dough hook and mixing bowl are sending heat into the dough, I presumed it would do it from the outside in.

How are other measuring the temp - probe thermometer?

I think the best way to measure dough temp would be to stick an instant read thermometer into the center of the dough near the hook.