Author Topic: How Domino's Makes Its Dough Balls  (Read 7825 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
How Domino's Makes Its Dough Balls
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »
I thought our members might get a kick out of some of the many steps that Domino's uses in its commissaries to make its dough balls: http://www.readingbakery.com/content/videos/video-player.html?video=perfect_pizza_dough_16x9&aspect=wide.

There is also some interesting additional material at http://www.readingbakery.com/continuous-dough-mixer-systems.html.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: How Domino's Makes Its Dough Balls
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
Peter,

I did get a kick out of the video, but no thanks.  I would rather make my own dough and dough balls and know they are fresh.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I'll take mine with extra minor ingredients, please!!!   ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Technologically, it's very impressive. It's this sort of thing that has really helped keep the cost of food down. In some ways it's kind of sad however.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
So whats next?...machines in the shops to make and bake the pizzas? Someday probably.  ::)

Might as well order from one of these:
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
"Making the perfect pizza dough..."   ???   Say whaaaa !!
Takes a lot of mechanisms to mess up a good thing....available now for only $5.55..... :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »
"Making the perfect pizza dough..."   ???   Say whaaaa !!
Takes a lot of mechanisms to mess up a good thing....available now for only $5.55..... :chef:

Just remember, pizza has many different definitions. In this case, I'm pretty sure it is limited strictly to Domino's pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »
Let's see what sort of comments this gets over on my favorite truck site...   ;)

http://ramchargercentral.com/open-discussions/how-domino's-makes-its-pizza-dough/   ;D

Offline z3r01

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
i live like 10 minutes away from here maybe less
(http://s14.postimage.org/lpfpl0f9t/z3r01.jpg)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
Watched both the pizza dough vid and the cracker vid... dude!  Had no idea of the scale and complexity needed to mass-produce a Ritz!  I'll have to show this to my kid.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:59 AM »
Here is another fascinating article published about a year ago on how Domino's, through a business partner, is using the Reading Bakery System to make pizza dough in the UK:

http://www.bakingbusiness.com/Features/Company%20Profiles/First%20of%20its%20kind%20pizza%20production.aspx

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
Peter;
That is an excellent description of their process. I'm very familiar with all of the equipment described, but I would like to add that the dough pieces are probably better described as looking more like oranges or grapefruit (depending upon their weight) than donuts which I was trying to visualize how/why there would be a hole in each dough piece when the equipment employed does not provide that added feature. The Vemag dividers operate much like that of a meat grinder without the plate installed and as the dough is extruded from the  multi port manifold a guillotine type cutter is used to separate each dough piece from the continuous rope of dough being extruded. I wish there was a video of the operation to provide the "WOW" factor. They are not the first to use this kind of equipment as there is another major box store operation that has been using it for some time now. This is a good way to put pizza in perspective, and remember, this is just one of many operations just by Domino's and when you add in the multiplier of the other big box chains it becomes even more impressive, and this doesn't even count in the commissaries for the smaller chains, the independents, or the frozen pizza manufacturers. Kinda puts pizza into perspective.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »
Tom,

I cited this earlier in my thread, http://www.readingbakery.com/content/videos/video-player.html?video=perfect_pizza_dough_16x9&aspect=wide, and if you look at the video at 3:45 you will see the dough pieces as they emerge from the equipment that does the cutting. I also noticed for the first time the two empty red trays for the stacks of filled dough trays. The UK article mentioned that there is one on the top and a second one at the bottom of each stack of blue dough boxes to keep the dough balls from being contaminated by the floor or roof of a truck. 

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »
Here is a YouTube video relating to a Domino's factory tour that I referenced recently in another thread:

Peter

Offline Pab

• Pizza Please.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
Here is another fascinating article published about a year ago on how Domino's, through a business partner, is using the Reading Bakery System to make pizza dough in the UK:

http://www.bakingbusiness.com/Features/Company%20Profiles/First%20of%20its%20kind%20pizza%20production.aspx

Peter
Hello Peter
Interesting read.But it just reinforces me as never to buy this ****
They and others sell the illusion, and keep the price of pizza sky high and low quality rubbish.
They are a million miles away from the quality you see on here.
atb
Paul.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
Paul,

My interest in this matter is solely to gain an understanding of how Domino's, as the second largest pizza chain in the U.S. and a major factor outside of the U.S., makes and delivers its dough to its stores using a commissary business model. I went through the same exercise when I attempted to reverse engineer and clone Papa John's pizzas (and other PJ food products). The thread where I did that is one of the most popular threads on the forum in terms of page views.

But I will tell you this: If a credible Domino's clone dough formulation were to be posted on this forum, the forum would be deluged with guests and new members looking for that dough formulation. This is not necessarily a good thing for the forum since those people do not become active members on the forum. They are just after free clone dough formulations, and they will disappear once they have them. And they won't even say thank you.

Peter

Offline Pab

• Pizza Please.
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
Paul,

My interest in this matter is solely to gain an understanding of how Domino's, as the second largest pizza chain in the U.S. and a major factor outside of the U.S., makes and delivers its dough to its stores using a commissary business model. I went through the same exercise when I attempted to reverse engineer and clone Papa John's pizzas (and other PJ food products). The thread where I did that is one of the most popular threads on the forum in terms of page views.

But I will tell you this: If a credible Domino's clone dough formulation were to be posted on this forum, the forum would be deluged with guests and new members looking for that dough formulation. This is not necessarily a good thing for the forum since those people do not become active members on the forum. They are just after free clone dough formulations, and they will disappear once they have them. And they won't even say thank you.

Peter

Hello Peter
Got your point and agree,a bit like the Colonels finest top secret recipe!
Never seen a Doms pizza like you see on here, and when made for in relative bulk, in one`s kitchen for a quid(sterling pound) or nearabouts it`s very satisfying.
But it`s business i guess.

Paul.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:48:43 AM by Pab »

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »
My wife uses one of those Veemags to push out dog treats at her factory.  They do make a pizza "flavored" treat . . . I bet that's where Domino's got the idea.
Josh

pizzapan