Author Topic: Domino's Unveils New Restaurant Design, Logo, Store of the Future  (Read 3686 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Domino's Unveils New Restaurant Design, Logo, Store of the Future
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »
"Domino’s Pizza (NYSE: DPZ) today announced plans to bring the art and skill of pizza-making front and center with the release of its new ‘Pizza Theater’ store design.

After years of development and concept testing, the Domino’s Pizza store of the future will have its pizza-making artists on display as they hand-toss (emphasis on the “toss”!) fresh dough and custom-make customers’ orders."

Would that be the art and skill of running an impinger oven?  :-D

Seriously, wasn't this business model (like all chain fast food) designed to remove the need for skill and artistry in order to produce a consistant product with the available labor force? More power to them if they are trying to swing the pendulum back the other way a little. I have to wonder what will be the effect on consistency and quality however? Too bad they appear to think the art in pizza is about throwing a piece of dough up in the air.

What do you suppose "custom-make customers’ orders" means that is different from what they do today?

You know, before I learned what good pizza tasted like, Domino's was my favorite pizza.  :(

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
Seriously, wasn't this business model (like all chain fast food) designed to remove the need for skill and artistry in order to produce a consistant product with the available labor force? More power to them if they are trying to swing the pendulum back the other way a little. I have to wonder what will be the effect on consistency and quality however? Too bad they appear to think the art in pizza is about throwing a piece of dough up in the air.

It's all about image and hype. Domino's pizza sucks, and everyone knows that. It's such a well-known fact, they even say it in their own commercials. So instead of actually creating good pizza, which requires a lot of skilled labor that just can't be bought on a large scale at minimum wage, they're hyping an image of change without actually changing anything but the store layout. They're appealing to the public's fascination with dough tossing, which is actually a pretty smart idea if they can maintain a labor force of people who know how to do it.

But they won't be able to maintain that labor force.

These changes might work for a short time, but they'll eventually leave Domino's right where they used to be, because there's no substance to it and because their pizza will always be Domino's. Franchisees and managers will go nuts trying to hire semi-skilled workers to keep up with the high turnover of pizzamakers constantly moving on to better paying jobs, and the hype will disappear.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »
You know, before I learned what good pizza tasted like, Domino's was my favorite pizza.  :(

CL

When was this? It was mine too. There was a time when Domino's was actually pretty good IMO. Early '80's and earlier. Then they decided to reduce their food costs and it was downhill from there.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
When was this? It was mine too.

Mine too (when I was about 10).

scott123

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »
Would that be the art and skill of running an impinger oven?  :-D

:-D

Mamamia! Guiseppi, you worka dat impinga like a pizzaiolo!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »

Yeah back when they were decent they used deck ovens.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »

LMAO!  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »
When was this? It was mine too. There was a time when Domino's was actually pretty good IMO. Early '80's and earlier. Then they decided to reduce their food costs and it was downhill from there.

Not all that long ago in my case. 2007 or therabouts. I was lost, but now I'm found.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Slice

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »

Yeah back when they were decent they used deck ovens.

This is true. They used deck ovens and they cooked the pizzas on screens. It was pretty tasty back then. Don't know why they just wouldn't go back to that.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »
This is true. They used deck ovens and they cooked the pizzas on screens. It was pretty tasty back then. Don't know why they just wouldn't go back to that.

Lack of skilled labor.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
Mark Iocono and Paulie Gee should charge royalty fees for Dominoes using the term "pizza theater".

I guess I was fortunate. Early on my folks were to strapped to afford pizza that often. And when we did it was never chain pizza. I might have had Dominoes all of ten times in my life. -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »
Mark Iocono and Paulie Gee should charge royalty fees for Dominoes using the term "pizza theater".

I guess I was fortunate. Early on my folks were to strapped to afford pizza that often. And when we did it was never chain pizza. I might have had Dominoes all of ten times in my life. -k

I had the same experience, but my best pizza memories are of Shakey's in the 70's.  I had Domino's a few times in the 90's and my reaction was "Wtf is this?".  I never thought it was good.  Then Papa John's showed up and my expectations plunged even farther down.   

I can only think that Domino's, having played every other marketing card, is trying to get some sympathy...
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
Craig answered, "lack of skilled labor"
Wow, what in the world is up with todays "labor force" ?
Early 70's......13 yr. old kids open and close the shop...from prep to manning stacked deck ovens (I would stand on a stool)....we loved it and thrived on being better than the next kid...all in a friendly way. The bosses would turn the basements into "club houses" for the boys jus to keep everyone around an out of trouble....times change I guess...kids wanna sue somebody nowadays....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:53:28 PM »
Sounds like some happy memories there, buddy!  Can we assume you ruled the roost as junior pizzaoila, or was it someone else?

I don't think you could even come close these days.  The best I've heard is the training kitchen in Ohio.  And that's not for little kids.

Sounds great though, wish it was possible!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 11:42:25 PM »

I believe Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre was around decaded before either of those guys ever thought about making commercial pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »
Craig answered, "lack of skilled labor"
Wow, what in the world is up with todays "labor force" ?
Early 70's......13 yr. old kids open and close the shop...from prep to manning stacked deck ovens (I would stand on a stool)

It is an entirely different matter when you have 10,000 stores an they all need to put out the same pizza every time.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 11:56:04 PM »
Sounds like some happy memories there, buddy!  Can we assume you ruled the roost as junior pizzaoila, or was it someone else?

I don't think you could even come close these days.  The best I've heard is the training kitchen in Ohio.  And that's not for little kids.

Sounds great though, wish it was possible!

Thanks Brian...we were all such characters that becoming a "barn boss" was mutually held in check. That was the best part of it all...."...those were the days..." as Auch would sing... ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:00:24 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »
It is an entirely different matter when you have 10,000 stores an they all need to put out the same pizza every time.

Well, I suppose you're right if there's no hard 'lil workers around such as the types I was talk'in 'bout...
Our pies were as consistent as the day is long...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:20 AM »
Well, I suppose you're right if there's no hard 'lil workers around such as the types I was talk'in 'bout...
Our pies were as consistent as the day is long...

It's not about hard work. It's about skill and consistency. They aren't the same.
Pizza is not bread.