Author Topic: Domino's Unveils New Restaurant Design, Logo, Store of the Future  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Domino's Unveils New Restaurant Design, Logo, Store of the Future
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »
It is an entirely different matter when you have 10,000 stores an they all need to put out the same pizza every time.

It's also an entirely different matter when you're unwilling to pay people more than minimum wage, which becomes the norm when small operations become large operations. People who know how to do sh!t don't work for minimum wage; they can find better work for better money.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
It's also an entirely different matter when you're unwilling to pay people more than minimum wage, which becomes the norm when small operations become large operations. People who know how to do sh!t don't work for minimum wage; they can find better work for better money.
I have no idea how their business model works now, but back when I worked for Domino's (1983-1984), the pizzas were made by the manager and manager trainees, both of which made more than minimum wage. The managers were paid a salary plus a performance-based bonus. The better the bottom line was for the shop, the more the manager would make. The managers would find ways to motivate their trainees to do a better job, sometimes including sharing their bonus with them.

Quality was also monitored by regional supervisors that would visit frequently. These supervisors were also incentivized with a bonus based on the performance of the shops that they were in charge of. Quality is only one thing that ultimately affects a shop's bottom line, but the good managers realized that it was important.

Domino's was also big on mystery customers back then too. If a shop's mystery customers' reports were bad, it would negatively affect the manager's bonus.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:28:06 AM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
It's not about hard work. It's about skill and consistency. They aren't the same.
At Dominoes? Well, not the ones around here.  ;D
For me anyway, I kinda equate hard work with skill and consistency. If you work hard and don't be a goof off then it doesn't take long to become good at performing tasks in a pizza restaurant....unless you're just not cut out for kitchen work.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

enter8

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I have to confess that I worked at Dominoes... for a full 15 minutes ;) During those treasured moments, I definitely recall seeing a conveyor belt. I'd wager to say that a Dominoes Pizza never came in contact with stone.  Maybe if I'd degraded myself for a few minutes longer, I'd know exactly how Dominoes pizza is made. I guess I'll have to live with that :)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
Speaking of conveyors...

Klink, when you worked there, did they have conveyors? I'm thinking the age of the conveyor oven began in about the early 80s, which probably coincides with the explosion of chains such as Domino's. If so, when you put it all together, that also translates to the beginning of the age of pizza that requires absolutely no skill to make, along with big money guys screwing over the workers in every way possible.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »
At Dominoes? Well, not the ones around here.  ;D

My point exactly.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
Speaking of conveyors...

Klink, when you worked there, did they have conveyors? I'm thinking the age of the conveyor oven began in about the early 80s, which probably coincides with the explosion of chains such as Domino's. If so, when you put it all together, that also translates to the beginning of the age of pizza that requires absolutely no skill to make, along with big money guys screwing over the workers in every way possible.
No conveyors at any of the shops that I worked at. Deck ovens and screens. Oven tending was definitely a skilled job as well.

BTW, the shops that I worked at were in your neck of the woods. 4005 Livingston Ave., Reynoldsburg, Whitehall. I think that they were planing to install conveyor ovens at the South Campus shop, which at the time was the second busiest Domino's in the country, but AFAIK there were none in central Ohio that had conveyors back then.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:09:09 PM by Colonel_Klink »

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »
The only way Domino's could impress me is if in select stores, they get rid of the conveyor ovens in favor of high-temp decks, train some capable people and actually take the trouble to make their own dough.  (I was going to say "WFO"... but couldn't stop laughing at the idea.)

Not likely to happen, as it would show up the rest of the chain's low standards.

They do a fine job being what they are.  A money-making machine, delivering cheap pizza conveniently.  The only reason people come to the store is so they don't have to tip the driver.  Putting on a show for those people is not going to make a difference.  Those are the cheap people.

Now if they actually made really good pizza, that would make a difference.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »
If only they could do something about that chain store dough...

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
They do a fine job being what they are.  A money-making machine, delivering cheap pizza conveniently.

Then why do you suppose they are trying so hard to change their image? They're not doing it just for fun.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
The only way Domino's could impress me is if in select stores, they get rid of the conveyor ovens in favor of high-temp decks, train some capable people and actually take the trouble to make their own dough.  (I was going to say "WFO"... but couldn't stop laughing at the idea.)

Not likely to happen, as it would show up the rest of the chain's low standards.

No chance of that happening, for a lot more reasons than that.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 02:14:15 PM »
The makeover will probably hit hardest at the sit-down ones  in the more populated area stores..like malls, downtown areas,etc.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Domino's with a dining area. I just assumed they were all delco units.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Domino's with a dining area. I just assumed they were all delco units.
Me neither. Only in food courts.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »

We have a few around here with 4 or 5 tables in them.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Me neither. Only in food courts.

Don't think I've ever seen one in a food court, either. That's Sbarro turf.

pizzapan