Author Topic: Need a hood with an electric pizza oven?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline pie eye

Need a hood with an electric pizza oven?
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
I presume the answer is yes, cus just looking at Apizza Scholls pic on their site clearly shows a hood above their electric. What deems a hood necessary? Are there instances where you don't need a hood? Output?

Thanks for any clear answers!- Pie Eye

Offline Pizza Rustica

Re: Need a hood with an electric pizza oven?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
You need to talk to your local environmental health agency as well as fire dept to determine the hood requirements for your jurisdiction. I believe there are type 1 and type 2 hoods. One of them uses ansul fire supressant (type 1) and the other is just for air exchange. Varying localities differ, but all will typically require a hood.
Russ

Offline pie eye

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:50:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply Pizza Rustica. I'll look into that.

Offline AP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »
I presume the answer is yes, cus just looking at Apizza Scholls pic on their site clearly shows a hood above their electric. What deems a hood necessary? Are there instances where you don't need a hood? Output?

Thanks for any clear answers!- Pie Eye

http://www.powerwash.com/articles/chapter-17-1-kitchen-grease-exhaust-hoods.html has some good info, too.

On a side note, I was reading on PMQ recently about adding hot wings to a menu and someone brought up the cost of adding a deep fryer to your kitchen including the "type 1" exhaust hood for catching grease.  The cost differences between a type 1 and 2 hood were severe by their account.

Offline dhs

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
It really is a local building code issue as others have said. What drives me nuts, in NYC at least, is that the rules are one thing but how they are enforced (or not) is entirely a different issue.