Author Topic: Revisiting Motorino; how quickly things change  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Iowamcnabb

Re: Revisiting Motorino; how quickly things change
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
 The neopolitan place closest to me serves them uncut but brings out a pizza cutter to the table.  I've thought about doing the same at my place.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 05:18:39 PM »
The neopolitan place closest to me serves them uncut but brings out a pizza cutter to the table.  I've thought about doing the same at my place.

A16 (SF and Oakland) brings the pizza to the table uncut, accompanied by kitchen shears.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »
A16 (SF and Oakland) brings the pizza to the table uncut, accompanied by kitchen shears.

That's a cool concept.  I really like the look of an uncut pie plus the customer can choose to cut it any way they like. I like four big slices so you can fold but some of my friends like the smaller pieces.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »

I forgot about A16. Now that I'm thinking about it, 2Amys served them uncut too (and didn't offer to cut them). This was a problem because they were so tough I could barely cut them with the knife they brought with the pie. If you are not going to cut them, at least make sure they are tender enough for the customer to cut.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
Revisiting Motorino; how quickly things change
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 07:24:56 PM »
Hungry.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
I guess if 99% of the pizzerias in the U.S. cut the pizza before serving, it's up to the traditionalist to request an uncut pie. I want to fire up the oven now. But just put my kid in a bed from crib and I have no idea if I can leave the house.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
This may be of interest:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/08/what-to-expect-at-a-neapolitan-pizzeria.html

It is an article, along with a linked video interview, by member Adam Kuban discussing the various attributes of Neapolitan including knife and fork vs. slicing. 

For Iowamcnabb, I guess it is a question of how close you want to draw your customers into the Naples traditions vs. "not fighting the tape" of American consumer awareness and taste.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »
while not neapolitan (they model after delfina, which i have not tried),  my friends at Rocco in Rochester NY serve their 10-12" pies this way also. they stuck to their guns after some initial bitching, but most everyone is used to it now. many customers really like it.
interestingly, there is a newer place called Branca in the burbs-- VPN, +serves them sliced.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
I love pizza scissors. I also love not having my pizza sliced. If it's a neapolitan pie, it's generally personal sized, and then I prefer to eat it "a libretto" or folded up.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »
Just an update on Motorino. I was there three weeks ago and didn't time one pie over 90 seconds. They were all very good but not quite as good as keste. Definitely a more hydrated dough at motorino.

pizzapan