Author Topic: Pizza Barbone - Hyannis MA  (Read 1778 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Pizza Barbone - Hyannis MA
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:30:15 PM »
I am on the cape for vacation (Cape Cod), and we took a trip into Hyannis for the afternoon. Walking down the main street with all the touristy restaurants and shops, I saw a familiar shape out of the corner of my eye: a gleaming, glass-tiled Stefano Ferrara mobile oven. So we stopped in. I was able to talk to Jason, the owner and pizzaiolo, about his whole process, the dough, the oven - he even gave me a tour of the kitchen.

Jason has a beautiful oven and dough to match. He uses IDY, and the dough is cold fermented over 3 days. Caputo 00. He pulled out plastic covered print outs from the pizzamaking.com dough calculator: 60% percent hydration, .4 percent IDY. He said that when he started using the SF, the dough he used in his mobile operation that was 63% came out too wet, and he needed to lower it.

I had a margherita, and I timed the bake at 80 seconds. What a pleasant surprise to be in Hyannis on vacation, and happen on this place. The dough was light, complex in flavor with a slight tang, and beautifully balanced. The salt level of the ingredients was more than I am used to in my backyard, but it was in line with a restaurant presentation. There was no soupiness at all, and the cheese had a really nice milky taste. The tomatoes were San Marzano, and slightly acidic. Overall it was an outstanding pizza. Jason is a true gentleman and very knowledgable. I can't wait to come back and try out some other pizzas and stay longer for a dinner. He was telling me about a special he had that day that was a play on a hawaiian: pineapple and prosciutto.

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Barbone - Hyannis MA
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
They have a video on Slice about how they started.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
It's a nice looking pie. It reminds me of a Paulie Gee pie. Do you like it served on paper like that?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »
Do you like it served on paper like that?

Craig - I am not sure what purpose it served, but it did not detract at all from eating the pizza.

John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
It reminds me of a Paulie Gee pie.

Very much so. If just the picture of the pizza was shown to me, that's what I would have guessed.

John, nice write-up and pictures. It's always nice to be able to talk to the people behind the make table and share your interest with them.

Hope the rest of your time on the Cape was great! --k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »
+1 Paulie gee ish! Does look very nice.  Did you get  the oven temps for the 80 sec bake? Fork mixer or ??  I am suprised at the .4% IDY? so I assume no room temp bulk right?  I also use IDY @ .16% or less. All  based on time, temp, moon phase, tide, wind direction...  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »
It's always nice to be able to talk to the people behind the make table and share your interest with them.

It really is. It puts things into perspective - these are real people, with real ideas, making pizza the way they want it. And running a restaurant is a monumental task that I could never imagine. Taking the time to show me the whole process shows real sincerity.

John - Yes, he does 3 days in the cooler for his dough, which accounts for the .4% IDY. He has a hobart, and I did not get the oven temp. But he threw a log on the coals for my pie and it ignited immediately. I am guessing in the 800's.

John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »
John,

One of the things I found interesting is that Jason was using the output of one of the forum's dough calculating tools. It isn't very often that I see that from professionals, although on occasion I have stumbled upon websites while doing online research where I saw links to the dough calculating tools.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
I do use this wonderful dough tool every time! I think I got Larry to give it a whirl as well. Its depending on size of pizza 200G or 265G  and # I need for any  given party Has not let me down yet !
I now have a  note book with # from 25 -80 dough balls and notes on each I just pull  out right one and go for my psudeo neo dough.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.