Author Topic: powdered milk  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Pizzaboyo

powdered milk
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
Hi Folks, I'd like to try the pan pizza listed here in the recipes BUT it calls for milk Powder and the only type of milk powder I can see/find in Ireland is baby milk/ powder. Would it do? is it the same thing? can  I substitute milk?
Many thanks. :chef:
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Online TXCraig1

Re: powdered milk
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
Can you post a link to the recipe?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
3Tbs dry milk makes about 1/2C reconstituted milk, so you might try substituting 1/2C of the water with milk.

I'm really surprised you can't find dry milk in Ireland?

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »
You'd think it would be easy enough to find eh! We only have major supermarkets here where I am and no speciality shops except one so I'm going to visit later to see if they can help.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
I would be surprised if every major supermarket here in the States didn't have powdered milk. It's often in or near the baking section here.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
Pizzaboyo,

Like Craig, I, too, am surprised that you have not been able to find the dry milk powder. In the U.S., the most popular brand of that product is Carnation.

I'd also like to mention that while there have been several members who have reported good results with the recipe you plan to use, there have also been several complaints that the amount of dough made using that recipe is far in excess of what PH used in its stores. Some time ago, I took a stab at converting the recipe you plan to use to the amount, 22 ounces, that PH apparently used for its 14" pan pizzas. You can see my converted dough formulation at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909.

You might also take a look at the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12806.0.html. In that thread, at Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12806.msg132091.html#msg132091, I came up with a dough formulation that was essentially a cross between the PH pan pizza and one made by Godfather's, another popular pizza chain that makes a pan pizza. That recipe also calls for dry milk powder but if you look at Reply 17 in that thread, you will note that member Jet_deck asked me to substitute evaporated milk for the dry milk powder, which I did. You can see his results starting at Reply 25 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12806.msg132648.html#msg132648. So, if you have access to evaporated milk where you live in Ireland, the PH/Godfather's recipe may be another viable option.

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
Tesco's has it (and probably a couple others just like it):

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258290438

...and I'd be surprised if any other supermarket didn't have at least one brand of powdered milk.  It's a "ubiquitous" item--every major supermarket in a developed country would likely carry it. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »
Every single store in the undeveloped countries also probably has it as well, if not more-so.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 04:36:35 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Tscarborough would you be suggesting that Ireland is undeveloped?? :-D :-D The nearest tescos to me is 15 miles so thats out for a spoon or two of powdered milk and reading the suggested posts I'm wondering what difference it would make anyway. To be clear I'm NOT a formula/ph/hydration concious cook  :-[ I'm more of a whats in the fridge friday night few beers and good music kinda pizza maker. I very rarely measure anything and my pizzas will never be top quality but the family enjoy them and they aint half bad  ;D

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Tscarborough would you be suggesting that Ireland is undeveloped?? :-D :-D The nearest tescos to me is 15 miles so thats out for a spoon or two of powdered milk and reading the suggested posts I'm wondering what difference it would make anyway. To be clear I'm NOT a formula/ph/hydration concious cook  :-[ I'm more of a whats in the fridge friday night few beers and good music kinda pizza maker. I very rarely measure anything and my pizzas will never be top quality but the family enjoy them and they aint half bad  ;D

I always keep canned(evaporated) milk on hand, and typically use it whenever milk or powdered milk is called for. Always great results. The only challenge then is using(converting) the appropriate amount of milk to get (somewhat) authentic results.

I suspect the "baby milk" powder would work fine though.

All of this is assuming one does not keep fresh milk on hand. If you do, as suggested, just use that.
Dwight

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »
As Peter mentioned earlier Pizzaboyo, I have used the amended recipe that used the smaller amount of dough and it works out wonderfully. I think that the first iteration would be entirely too thick for a genuine PH pizza. If you look in the thick style section you can find my attempt, although my cornicion didn't puff as much as it needed to, but that was when I first started baking and found this forum.

Good luck on your attempt though, no matter what I'm sure it will turn out great. Even bad homemade pizza is good pizza.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

pizzapan