Author Topic: Emeril's Deep Dish  (Read 5526 times)

Offline buzz

Emeril's Deep Dish
« on: October 27, 2005, 10:10:29 AM »
A couple of nights ago I caught a re-run of Emeril's pizza party show on "Emeril Live".  At the end he made a deep dish with the oven at 450, but he said to cook it for 20-25 minutes. His pizza came out a perfect golden brown. There's no way any deep dish I've ever cooked has been done in 20-25 minutes! Were they fudging the results? A better oven? He did use a black deep dish pan--could this be it?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Emeril's Deep Dish
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:31:39 AM »
buzz,

I am always skeptical about how dishes are prepared on programs like Emeril's, but a dark pan will cook a deep-dish faster than a shiny aluminum one. Like you, I have a pan around 9 1/2 inches, and I have been able to bake a deep-dish in it in around 25 minutes at 450 degrees F. (I preheat the oven at around 500 degrees F and lower the temperature to 450 degrees when I put the pan in the oven). If Emeril's deep-dish was larger than 9 1/2 inches, I am suspicious of the 450 degrees, 20-25 minutes claim, even in a dark pan.

Peter

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 12:02:19 PM »
My 9.5 incher is shiny metallic gray (not black), and usually I run about 35-40 minutes at 450. The one Emeril made was big and looked perfectly cooked!

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »
I've been cooking Chicago-Style pizzas for about 1-1/2 years now, and the only time I've seen a pizza like that get done in 25 minutes is at a higher altitude, usually 4,000 ft and above.  So I'd say it's pretty fishy.

Offline cdodson

• Mmmmmm...pizza.
    • Wild Flours Bread Company
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 10:01:32 AM »
Buzz,

Every time I have left a deep dish in the oven for 30 minutes, it has overcooked. In fact, I have had to tell people that want the recipe to cook it for 23 minutes at 425 degrees F. That has worked for me in my 10" x 3" Springform pan as well as my larger 2" pans.

BTW, I made several pizzas last week for my colleagues at work using your recipe. Yesterday morning one of the guys e-mailed me the Emeril Pizza episode that he recorded. I've yet to watch it but I think it was a subtle hint for me to keep 'em coming. :)
Carey

The power of cheese

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 07:38:34 PM »
I ccok mine at 450O for 25 minutes and they come out a nice golden brown unless the dough was cold when I made the pizza.  I do use a well used black pan.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline buzz

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 09:01:57 AM »
This is ver y interesting! My normal cook time is 35-40 minutes at 450--the last one I made took around 50 minutes! Must be the black pan that speeds up the process!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 02:20:55 PM »
I the one time I cooked mine for 35 minutes the crust burned.

What kind of fat do you use in the pan?

DKM

Offline buzz

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 10:48:55 AM »
No fat at all in the pan.

Offline buzz

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 10:55:23 AM »
I have tried greasing the pan with oil or butter in the past and it doesn't make any difference in the cooking time!

Offline pam

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 09:30:59 AM »
buzz,

I am always skeptical about how dishes are prepared on programs like Emeril's, but a dark pan will cook a deep-dish faster than a shiny aluminum one. Like you, I have a pan around 9 1/2 inches, and I have been able to bake a deep-dish in it in around 25 minutes at 450 degrees F. (I preheat the oven at around 500 degrees F and lower the temperature to 450 degrees when I put the pan in the oven). If Emeril's deep-dish was larger than 9 1/2 inches, I am suspicious of the 450 degrees, 20-25 minutes claim, even in a dark pan.

Peter
Pete-zza,

I also preheat my oven to 500, but I cook the pie at that temp for 5 min before lowering the temp to 450.

I've been using the same 15" steel pan that I've received for Christmas in 1988. By now, it's extremely well seasoned, but I don't recall a pie ever taking more than 25 min to cook @ 450; in fact, I usually check the pie at 20 min (5 at 500 + 15 at 450) to make sure it doesn't burn. (I do remember burning the first few pies because I left them in too long. :'( )
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline buzz

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 09:35:48 AM »
This is truly bizarre--I start checking it at 35 minutes, then at 40 and so on. As I said, the last one I made I took out at around 50 minutes, and it was underdone!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 12:51:35 PM »
buzz,

This may seem like an impertinent question, but is your oven operation properly? I once had the lower heating element go and it took me quite a while to detect its failure. The top element was still working and putting out just enough heat to fool me.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 03:51:27 PM »
I was beginning to wonder the same thing, Peter.

The one time I used butter, I burnt the pizza real good.

DKM

Offline buzz

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 09:04:58 AM »
Oven is fine--not very old. I have a thermometer inside which reads 450!

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 04:46:33 PM »
My first attempt at a Chicago stuffed crust was done in about 25 minutes (first at 450 for 15 minutes, then 400 for 10). It was in a 13 1/2" cast iron pan, and filled it to the top.

The crust was scaring me at about 20 minutes, even, because it was becoming VERY brown. I took it out and put some sauce on it. That helped slwo the browing down.

Came out great.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline buzz

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 09:35:58 AM »
It's got to be the pan!

Offline cdodson

• Mmmmmm...pizza.
    • Wild Flours Bread Company
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 10:14:32 AM »
Have you tried different ovens?  I've been using four different ovens and my results have been consistent even with different pans.  As long as I stay at or just under 25 minutes at 425 degrees F, things turn out okay.  I may preheat to 450 but I turn it down to 425 as soon as the pizza goes in (deep dish only).
Carey

The power of cheese

Offline buzz

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 11:27:58 AM »
I only have the one oven--gas. It's very up-to-date, heats to the right temperature, etc. When I used to cook deep dish in my old electric oven, I had the same cooking times.

Offline pam

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 07:56:17 PM »
Hey Buzz,

Just a wild shot in the dark: what rack do you cook your pie on?

I've found that the bottom rack is too low for the top of the pie to cook before the bottom burns. I cook mine on the top rack for 15-18 min, then transfer it to the bottom rack for up to 10 min. to finish browning the bottom crust.
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.