Author Topic: Pictures of pseudo Neapolitan Pizza  (Read 9735 times)

Online scott123

Re: Pictures of pseudo Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Wow...how much did that set ya back bro?   :'(

It was right around the time the flips were being taken off the market, so I did alright- I think it was $129.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
It was right around the time the flips were being taken off the market, so I did alright- I think it was $129.
Jeeezus!!  American?    :o   Just kidd'in man.... :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
Maybe we can learn about the leoparding spots from Marcos own masterpieces, pizza pics

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2186.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,861.0.html

Punch,

microspots are there and more or less visible depending on the temperature of cooking. If you read the post I clearly explained that they were baked whilst the place was closed at a cooler temperature and it was indeed the old unbalanced oven that was later replaced with a Forno Napoletano. Odd large bunt area can happen as explained due to manipulation, but I clearly addresses the diffused one: English is not my first language but I think it was clear I have posted many better pictures of pizza baked in Forno Napoletano's oven at optimum baking condition. Edit: not perfect by any means but this shows one of my effort better http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6371.msg56427.html#msg56427
Some people have started good discussions Since my last post other are obviously too good
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:31:42 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »
Maybe we can learn about the leoparding spots from Marcos own masterpieces, pizza pics

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2186.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,861.0.html

I have a suggestion:

Let's find all the pictures of the vera pizza napoletana posted (by anyone) on this site in 2005,  than it would be a fairer comparison, wouldn't it?

Moderator, can that be arranged just as a learning experience for us all?
Paolo

cornicione54

« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
Marco,

Do you feel the same considerations regarding leopard spots apply to yeast and crisceto doughs alike or is one more prone to blistering problems than the other?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
I'm jus a guy trying to learn the "proper" way.......is this a "defective" dough? Thanks!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
 that last pizza looks like the sauce was put on uneven exposing a thinner area of the pizza to hi heat.not a dough defect, maybe a rushed make job. the best pizzas i had in Naples had a good amount of cheese both mozzarella,and grated also lots of olive oil . this was much more enjoyable than the lightly cheese pizzas. a crushed canned tomato and dough can get boring. the neapolitan pizza started as peasant food,but it has been been elevated to gourmet status both in perception and price. at da michele's   the single cheese pizzas looked sparse. every one in our group got double mozzarella,and i still can taste that pie!!
 another point, other than da michele's the pizzerias we ate at used same day dough. the exception was a quantity of dough they put in the cooler for lunch service.they stated that 4 hours was needed on that dough to get it to room temperature.so if marco is calling the dough defective because it is too cold he is probably right.
 i know tom the dough doctor has studied the large air bubbles and has stated it was because the dough was to cold  when entering the oven.
 if marco want a great representation of quality pizza coming from his ovens he needs to use il pizzaiola in Pittsburgh.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
you can plainly see that the blister pushed away the sauce...sauce was not applied unevenly.....

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2012, 05:13:55 AM »
I'm jus a guy trying to learn the "proper" way.......is this a "defective" dough? Thanks!

Do you see large blisters all over the crust/ dough ( I have been using the word DIFFUSE throughout this post, do you have a better word I should use?). I even said "not the odd large blister, the diffuse ones"...

You can clearly see microspots throughout the crust with 2 large blisters on the right side, it is not a defective dough, the friend thezaman has explained one of the contributing factor for this concentrate blister.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »
I have a suggestion:

Let's find all the pictures of the vera pizza napoletana posted (by anyone) on this site in 2005,  than it would be a fairer comparison, wouldn't it?

Moderator, can that be arranged just as a learning experience for us all?

Paolo,

In 2005, there were very few members who were on the forum at the time that had high-temperature wood-fired ovens to be able to make Neapolitan doughs with any authenticity. I believe that Bill/SFNM was one of the few to have such an oven, and I believe that member David had some kind of wood-fired oven. There were a few of us who attempted Neapolitan style pizzas in our standard home ovens but such ovens were not anywhere good enough to do the Neapolitan style justice. Also, at that time, it was still fairly difficult for our members in the U.S. to get their hands on Caputo 00 flour. That flour was available in Italy and to professionals in the U.S., but not readily available at the U.S. retail consumer level. The flours that I remember that were available to home pizza makers were the Bel Aria and Delverde 00 flours, or the King Arthur 00 domestic "clone" flour, and they had to be purchased from online sources. If they were available in stores, I never saw them.

However, the above said, Marco did post some photos of Neapolitan pizzas baked in some of the better pizzerias in Naples in the 2005 time period. They can be seen by scanning the Neapolitan board index at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,26.0.html and, more specifically, the first two or three pages of posts in that index (currently numbered 33, 34 and 35). Examples of Neapolitan pizzas at that time can be seen in the threads at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1785.0.html (Pizzeria Salvo) and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1773.0.html (Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente). To this, I would add that one of the seminal threads on the forum on the Neapolitan style pizza in the 2005 period was the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1415.0.html. Bill posted links to photos but they are no longer viewable, although David posted some at Reply 32 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1415.msg13592.html#msg13592. In both cases, a dough recipe by Marco was used.

Beyond the above, I do not recall seeing a lot of photos of authentic Neapolitan pizzas.

Peter

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
Thank you Peter, that proves my point. 

In 2005 Marco was already on the forfront of making Pizza Napoletana as opposed to anyone else on this site who has just been learning from him.

You guys might disagree, but personally I think he deserves a bit more credit and respect from us all.

Plus, he has shown plenty of pictures and recipes of his pizzas over the years..... not just preached about it......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please feel free to delete is anyone finds this post offensive.

Paolo

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
To this, I would add that one of the seminal threads on the forum on the Neapolitan style pizza in the 2005 period was the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1415.0.html. Bill posted links to photos but they are no longer viewable, although David posted some at Reply 32 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1415.msg13592.html#msg13592. In both cases, a dough recipe by Marco was used.

Beyond the above, I do not recall seeing a lot of photos of authentic Neapolitan pizzas.

Peter

Peter,

I have gone back into my archives to look at my "authentic" photos from 2005. I'm embarrassed at how bad they look. So much has changed in the intervening years, not just in how I prepare pizzas, but especially in my tastes and standards. I will repeat that marco has been a strong influence in my improvement. Still far to go.

Bill/SFNM
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:30:18 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »

In 2005 Marco was already on the forfront of making Pizza Napoletana as opposed to anyone else on this site who has just been learning from him.

You guys might disagree, but personally I think he deserves a bit more credit and respect from us all.

Plus, he has shown plenty of pictures and recipes of his pizzas over the years..... not just preached about it......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please feel free to delete is anyone finds this post offensive.
  i agree we are way to sensitive about criticis. marco at times is very blunt, which may be a language issue. he knows neapolitan pizza

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:36:42 PM by thezaman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »

Plus, he has shown plenty of pictures and recipes of his pizzas over the years..... not just preached about it...... i agree we are way to sensitive about criticism.

----------------------------------
I agree...

cornicione54

« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
From what I can see, the issue is not about giving Marco due credit (everyone on this thread has done that and then some). Nor is it sensitivity to criticism on OUR part although I suspect Marco himself is extremely sensitive to perceived criticism. I WELCOME (as I'm sure most others here do) Marco's constructive criticism.

No, that's not the problem. As I see it, the problem is the same as it has always been. Marco says something deliberately outrageous and surveys the inevitable fall-out. Then when people ask reasonable questions about his original statement - asking for practical advice - then he falls all but silent. I don't question the man's knowledge or pizza-making abilities but I do wonder about his ability to contribute to the forum in a manner that doesn't involve courting controversy or putting others down.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:48:07 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
As I see it, the problem is the same as it has always been.

Marco's style hasn't changed for the 7 years I've been on this forum. It is what it is, which is very Neapolitan. If you feel he is in violation of the forum's rules for conduct, contact Steve. I also wish he were more forthcoming, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope he's saving it for his long-awaited book.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
I thought Neapolitan pizza was a 100+ years old and not allowed to deviate from the standard or change?!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »
Marco's style hasn't changed for the 7 years I've been on this forum. It is what it is, which is very Neapolitan. If you feel he is in violation of the forum's rules for conduct, contact Steve. I also wish he were more forthcoming, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope he's saving it for his long-awaited book.
IMHO...the only violations I see are when people are asked to back off from pursuing this man's controversial topics ....in Marcos "Italian way" his "attitude" goes virtually unnoticed....how does this affect my life...it don't. I have no problem with heated debate....turn the channel if the kitchen is too hot...

cornicione54

« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

Oh I agree Bill. and believe me I'm thankful for what we DO have by way of information from Marco in the past. I just think it's a shame there's a large body of knowledge trapped there, that doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon.  

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
Oh I agree Bill. and believe me I'm thankful for what we DO have by way of information from Marco in the past. I just think it's a shame there's a large body of knowledge trapped there, that doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon.  
"Trapped behind knowledge".....oh boy..... :'(

pizzapan